All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 11-01-2009, 06:58 AM

TheVictor is on a distinguished road
Unhappy N85 connection issues

Hi guy's how's everything going, been reading here for a while and I've been having trouble with the connection tonight so I figured I'd ask here. I always find it hard to deal with a problem if I don't know the whole story so I'll start from the beginning. If you don't care you can skip the next paragraph.

I was installing some 3rd party apps and one of them messed up my auto keypad lock. Instead of auto locking the keypad when I closed the slider it would always give me the 'yes or no' even when I had set it to auto. Needless to say it bothered the crap out of me so I decided to restore it back to factory settings and it fixed it.

After the reseting it back to factory settings I went back and set all my connections since I don't have a data plan I use wifi for all my stuff. Before the reset I would be asked if I wanted to use my router or Fido GPRS (or Fido WAP I forget) which was perfect because that way I knew I would always be using the right connection. Now when I go to a program like Nokia Maps, it would only ask if I wanted to go online and then it would auto connect to my router without asking. If I asked it to use aGPS(doesn't take up too much data so I use it) it would then automatically start using Fido GPRS/WAP over my router. This is the same with the browser minus the aGPS problem.

I'm new to Nokia's layout(been using SE since I got my first phone last year) and some locations of things in the menu just confuse me. Like why don't they just put all the Connection related stuff in one area instead of having it some in 'settings' and some in 'connectivity'.

Anyways back to my problem. While I am new to the interface I do have a decent idea on where to set things. So I go back through all the settings making sure I did everything the same as I did the first time. I set everything connection related to 'Ask' or for me to give permission but still get that problem.

I figured maybe something went wrong on the reset so I reset it back to factory settings again and it turns out I'm missing connections like MMS and WAP which I don't know the info for but regardless I still wasn't being asked what connection I wanted. It's been about 3 hours and 4 resets since I ran into the first problem and I'm just so frustrated haha. I'm starting to think the resets aren't resetting properly. Hoping I explained my problem clear enough.

I know I did as much as I know how to with the connections but I don't know if I did EVERYTHING I should have. I don't know how much someone has to 'talk' in order for them to help me fix this but I'd really appreciate it. Just simple tools>settings>connectivity>options... would do.
Ads

Old 11-01-2009, 04:08 PM

GordonShowers is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVictor View Post
Just simple tools>settings>connectivity>options... would do.
ok, try:

tools - settings - connection - destinations - options - default connection, and set it to "always ask".

i only found this option recently, and the default after a reset is "ask once" so it will only ask you the first time you connect.

your selected option is displayed at the top of the "network destinations" screen.

Old 11-01-2009, 06:22 PM

TheVictor is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the reply Gordon, I already had that set to "always ask" but it seems to only ask me with the browser and not for Mail or Maps. I'm not sure what's going on with this phone, I double checked everything that has to do with any kind of connection and I've set them all to "Ask".

Before I had a problem with my phone restarting constantly and the store I bought it from said they "flashed" it for me. Does that mean they just reinstalled the firmware for me? I'm new to phones so excuse my lack of knowledge on terms.

So maybe if I just did a hard reset on everything the problem would solve itself?

update: Thought maybe I could work backwards here. Took the memory card out, formatted the phone and removed all of Fido's services so that the only possible connection is through my router now. I'll list the things I change and see if you guys notice anything wrong or I didn't do. This is going to be long so I apologize.

-WLAN scanning off

-WLAN wiz.
connected to my router

-tools>settings>connections>destinations
Internet is the only one with an access point which is my router

- tools>settings>connections>wireless LAN
show WLAN availability(yes), every 5 minutes, ask every time

-tools>connectivity>GPS data>options>positioning methods
only a-GPS and GPS are checked, not sure what network based ones are

-tools>connectivity>GPS data>options>positioning server
positioning server use is 'always ask', access point must be defined, server address is supl.nokia.com

web>options>settings>general
access point is 'always ask'

maps>options>tools>settings
go online at startup is 'always ask', network destination is 'internet', roaming warning 'off'

After all that I get asked what connections I want to use with Web and my GMail but not Maps. Pretty big improvement from last night but now I don't have access to a-GPS since I removed all of Fido's services WAP, GPRS and MMS.

So my only problems left is Maps not asking what connection at start, getting bombarded by warning from the positioning server and not having a-GPS. Any suggestions? I know this might seem silly to go through this much work over a connection check but it bugs me when I don't know for sure what connection I'm using so I constantly go back to Log to double check.

Last edited by TheVictor; 11-01-2009 at 07:53 PM.

Old 27-01-2009, 07:26 AM

childoftheworld is on a distinguished road
Java Apps

Hi Victor...

I do not exactly know what your problem is. All my applications that are SIS (Symbian) always asks me what connection I need.

However... all my Java Applications, i.e., MinoWireless, Gizmo5 and GMail do not.

I've tried several configurations and nearly hit my head with a hammer out of frustration...

Then... because I noticed that it is only JAVA APPS that are not asking me which connection to select, i.e., I'd prefer WIFI.

If you go to Application Manager, go to Installed Applications. Highlight the selected application... then left soft key > Settings. Set the Access Point to None or if you prefer, your WIFI connection.

Old 27-01-2009, 02:08 PM

childoftheworld is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVictor View Post
Maps not asking what connection at start, getting bombarded by warning from the positioning server and not having a-GPS. Any suggestions? I know this might seem silly to go through this much work over a connection check but it bugs me when I don't know for sure what connection I'm using so I constantly go back to Log to double check.
This could be because you only have 1 available Access Point available, i.e., you do not have the GPRS, WAP and MMS Settings for FIDO.

A-GPS and Network Based in Positioning Settings cannot use WiFi. It has to connect to the Cell Tower using Packet Data. So because I do not want to incur data charges, I only checked Integrated GPS in my Positioning Settings.

I read, acquiring a signal with only Integrated GPS is slow... but seems okay sometimes... so I have Network GPS checked as well.

Also, if you lost your settings... Go to Tools > Utilities > Settings Wizard, click Start and it will set FIDO GPRS, WaP and MMS for you... I think. If it asks you for Email Settings, you can ignore that.