All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 30-08-2007, 06:27 PM

AMz is on a distinguished road
Access point connection issues

Hi, Recently got a N95 on T-mobile UK.

I've been playing around with all the features so far - great phone!

I am having an issue with establishing a connection using my WLAN access point though, which I've tried to sort out from reading previous posts on here and 'googling' but i can't sort out.

Just for information:

the N95 is on T-Mobile UK, my home wireless broadband ISP is AOL and my wireless router is a Belkin one.

Problem:

I have set my router to be the WLAN access point on the phone. It seems to have defined it successfully but when i access the browser, it asks 'connection to server needed' - I accept this, then the page tries to load, and at this point my router wireless also flashes - proving there is a connection action.

However, about a minuite later the page stops and shows "Web N Walk: No gateway reply"

The routers settings seem correct, MAC address filtering has been disabled, I've tried without security and all the different security options including WEP key one.

The IP address on the phone and subnet mask and gateway is all set to automatic.

Does anyone use their AOL connection as a access point? if so could you please kindly share your settings. One thing is that even on a PC, AOL's system has a username/password authentication system. I don't know whether the lack of this on the phone could be blocking the connection or not.

It would be great if someone who has an idea what is wrong to help me out.

Any advice appreciated. Thanks very much and sorry for the long post.

AMz

Old 01-09-2007, 10:35 PM

Anyone have any ideas?

Old 02-09-2007, 05:12 AM

Halon is on a distinguished road
First thing I note here is you're trying to use your ISP's connection but the phone is giving an error message mentioning your mobile service provider, so almost certainly something wrong with the way the access point is set up.

Have you tried using the WLAN Wizard to define the access point?
Nokia N97

6600 > 6630 > N70 > N80 > N95 > N95 8GB > N85 > N97

Last edited by Halon; 02-09-2007 at 05:15 AM.

Old 02-09-2007, 08:26 AM

Thanks for your reply Halon.

I was thinking this at first too, however this is also the name of my web browser. So maybe thats why thats appearing?! not too sure.

I have used the WLAN wizard but its still the same.

I really can't find anything else wrong with it. Only other option I think is to flash it with generic software. But would I always be able to switch back to a t-mobile firmware if I wanted to?

Old 02-09-2007, 08:36 AM

dez_borders is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMz View Post
Hi, Recently got a N95 on T-mobile UK.

I've been playing around with all the features so far - great phone!

I am having an issue with establishing a connection using my WLAN access point though, which I've tried to sort out from reading previous posts on here and 'googling' but i can't sort out.

Just for information:

the N95 is on T-Mobile UK, my home wireless broadband ISP is AOL and my wireless router is a Belkin one.

Problem:

I have set my router to be the WLAN access point on the phone. It seems to have defined it successfully but when i access the browser, it asks 'connection to server needed' - I accept this, then the page tries to load, and at this point my router wireless also flashes - proving there is a connection action.

However, about a minuite later the page stops and shows "Web N Walk: No gateway reply"

The routers settings seem correct, MAC address filtering has been disabled, I've tried without security and all the different security options including WEP key one.

The IP address on the phone and subnet mask and gateway is all set to automatic.

Does anyone use their AOL connection as a access point? if so could you please kindly share your settings. One thing is that even on a PC, AOL's system has a username/password authentication system. I don't know whether the lack of this on the phone could be blocking the connection or not.

It would be great if someone who has an idea what is wrong to help me out.

Any advice appreciated. Thanks very much and sorry for the long post.

AMz
I use AOL UK with a Netgear WLAN Router. For reliable N95 connections it's vital you have the latest router Firmware. Look on Netgear.com
My Netgear is about 18 months old, and the N95 simply was not reliable until I recently upgraded the router to the latest FW, now it works 100%

P.S. It's also advisable to get the N95 upgraded to V12 FW if you are not already on this version.

Old 02-09-2007, 08:40 AM

Thanks for your reply. I see your using AOL as well. Did you have to change any settings on the access point defined by the phone?

My settings are all standard but the connection name and WLAN network name are just the routers name and not AOL. Not sure if this is right. I have never updated the firmware on my router so will update it and see how that works.

Old 02-09-2007, 09:44 AM

Just a update just updated my router firmware and the N95 firmware with the latest T-mobile one. But it still fails connection.

I also browsed through all the wireless channels in my router one by one to see if I can get a connection action from any of these however, still no luck..

Old 02-09-2007, 12:12 PM

Mithent is on a distinguished road
Interestingly, unless yours are manually set up, you have a different gateway name to me - mine is 'T Mobile Internet'? I've seen the 'no reply' message, but only when I'm trying to connect to that gateway. The browser was also by default set up to always use the T-Mobile connection; in the browser go to Options > Settings, then General, and set the access point to 'Always Ask', then restart the browser and choose the WLAN connection. It may have a valid connection to the WLAN but then try to establish a packet data connection anyway.

Old 02-09-2007, 03:14 PM

dez_borders is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMz View Post
Thanks for your reply. I see your using AOL as well. Did you have to change any settings on the access point defined by the phone?

My settings are all standard but the connection name and WLAN network name are just the routers name and not AOL. Not sure if this is right. I have never updated the firmware on my router so will update it and see how that works.
The router/wlan SSID name is not relevant, you can call your network anything you want.

I find (with Netgear routers at lease) that the choice of security protocols is critical where the N95 is involved. WPA/PSK works fine, WEP never worked for me. You could check your router settings and swap it to WPA/PSK if it's set to WEP.

If you are still stuck, the best test process of all is to temporarily disable ALL security on your router, then when the N95 is connected, start adding security back in. I recommend WPA/PSK with MAC Address Access Control.

Old 04-09-2007, 07:46 PM

Imscottish is on a distinguished road
Hi I dont know if this will help you m8 but I am on AOL UK with a netgear router, for weeks and weeks I was trying to browse net on my n95 and it just wasnt happening! No Gateway Reply everytime, then I looked at my router settings and noticed

Enable Wireless Access Point
Allow Broadcast of Name (SSID)

were disabled, so I enabled them and bam first time it worked! (I dont know what Allow Broadcast of Name is but it seemed to work when I enabled this)

Hope this helps you

Old 04-09-2007, 07:52 PM

Hih is on a distinguished road
Please disable WLAN's (Nokia) power saving feature.

Scan for available WiFi spots, when all are (if any) found, wait five (5) seconds.
Then connect (choose from popup menu) via preferred connection.

Last edited by Hih; 04-09-2007 at 07:55 PM.

Old 04-09-2007, 09:01 PM

neilhoskins is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imscottish View Post
<snips>
Allow Broadcast of Name (SSID)

were disabled, so I enabled them and bam first time it worked! (I dont know what Allow Broadcast of Name is but it seemed to work when I enabled this)

Hope this helps you
If you hide the SSID none of your neighbours can see it when they do a scan. I used to have mine hidden as a half-hearted security measure but found, like you, that the N95 would only work with a visible SSID.

Old 07-09-2007, 08:15 PM

My AOL uk router is a Belkin one. I just updated it again with the latest firmware.

Also tried all the suggestions mentioned here but still the N95 fails to connect.

I thought maybe the wifi on my phone is faulty, but it works fine when I used it in Starbucks

Old 11-09-2007, 11:42 AM

waxup is on a distinguished road
Dhcp

Do you have dhcp enabled through your router to provide your phone with an IP address upon connecting to the network?

Old 11-09-2007, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waxup View Post
Do you have dhcp enabled through your router to provide your phone with an IP address upon connecting to the network?
Hi, yes I'm 99% sure the DHCP is enabled from my router's firmware. Would this be the problem why I can't connect with my N95?