All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 23-12-2004, 02:16 PM
Ye Olde Administratorium

Ewan is a splendid one to beholdEwan is a splendid one to beholdEwan is a splendid one to beholdEwan is a splendid one to beholdEwan is a splendid one to beholdEwan is a splendid one to behold
Web Link Sony Ericsson Store to Limit App Distribution

In what could be seen as a sign of the times, the Sony Ericsson Software shop will remove all applications which have not went through the Symbian Signed process of verification. While this has been noted (quietly) to be happening for some months, the fact that a Handset Manufactuer has finally taken this action will get a lot of Operators looking seriously at the idea of locking down phones. Symbian Signing an appliction currently costs in the region of $250 and upwards per installation file, plus a one time registration cost of $350 for the author. Thanks to NewLC for the link.
-- Twitter: @ewan

Old 23-12-2004, 02:26 PM
Super Moderator

Raven is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ewan
the fact that a Handset Manufactuer has finally taken this action will get a lot of Operators looking seriously at the idea of locking down phones.
If that starts happening, it's bye bye Symbian for me.

You'd think that people would have learned from the whole Orange SPV ordeal...
"The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomaniacal, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully." -Emerson

Old 23-12-2004, 03:35 PM
Super Moderator

GhostDog will become famous soon enough
Same here,if this starts to gain momentum i'll be really glad to go MS.

Please don't PM me with something that belongs in the forums.Search first,then ask.

Old 23-12-2004, 03:57 PM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostDog
Same here,if this starts to gain momentum i'll be really glad to go MS.
The best way to keep the Symbian platform open is to keep shouting about all the terrific non-Signed apps from little developers.

Steve Litchfield

Old 23-12-2004, 04:45 PM
Super Moderator

GhostDog will become famous soon enough
I believe that 99% of the third party applications out there are not Symbian Signed,so lets start shouting!

Please don't PM me with something that belongs in the forums.Search first,then ask.

Old 02-01-2005, 11:25 PM

MoHaG is on a distinguished road
Maybe someone should start a project porting linux to phones that currently run symbian.

It should not be impossible (Kernel is ported to ARM architecture) and the only problems whould probably be related to the user interface, support for cellphone hardware, etc.

I still wonder why symbian was created. You are running a completly different platform that needs special software, so why did they start from scratch with a proprietary OS such as symbian? The only reason that I can see is controlling what software user may run (e.g. What prevents a future Symbian update from preventing non-signed programs from running?)

Old 02-01-2005, 11:33 PM
Ye Olde Administratorium

Ewan is a splendid one to beholdEwan is a splendid one to beholdEwan is a splendid one to beholdEwan is a splendid one to beholdEwan is a splendid one to beholdEwan is a splendid one to behold
Symbian OS actually has it;s basis in a VAX style kernel from the eraly nineties... it was stable and proven.
-- Twitter: @ewan
Ads