All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 19-12-2009, 11:40 AM

bowman is on a distinguished road
N97 - Time to call it a day

Well, I stuck with it since launch day. I tried to be happy with it despite all the bugs and problems, and tried to ignore the fact that I dropped 500 on a phone which was clearly unready for release. I tried to ignore the voice in my head that kept reminding me of everything that was wrong with it but finally sanity kicked in and I realised it was time to call it a day. My N97 is no more. Gone to mobile heaven (or in my case, Mazuma Mobile).... may it rest in peace (as opposed to the pieces it nearly rested in).

When I needed to make an important (and time critical) call it decided to freeze completely. Wouldn't reboot, battery removal and reboot didn't work until the 4th attempt. Twenty minutes later I managed to make my call but the decision was made. I had to get rid of it while I could still get something for it (it came SO very very close to being demolished).

Good luck to everyone still using the N97. I'm not mocking you or anything else like that, just hoping you have a better experience than I've had. The sad thing is I'll miss the Symbian OS, but blame Nokia for me jumping ship completely. Nokia have lost a long term and loyal user, though I doubt they give a shit about that. I never thought it would happen but I now own an iPhone (no jeering please). After changing to a Macbook Pro earlier in the year and enjoying the change from a Windoze laptop (and after owning an iPod Touch for ages) I went and had a look at the iPhone and liked what I saw. I was already familiar with the OS thanks to the iPod Touch and was impressed with how much quicker it was in general operation. Yes, I'm aware of its' shortcomings and of the differences between it and the Symbian OS but for me it's like a breath of fresh air. No doubt someone will reply listing all its' faults but I'm really not interested. I weighed things up and considered everything I needed in a phone and the iPhone suits my needs, plus I simply had to get rid of the N97 to save my sanity.

So, cheers to all on AAS. It's a brilliant site and the forums have provided much information and entertainment. I'll keep visiting but I'll be an 'outsider' from now on.

Old 19-12-2009, 12:08 PM

sjdean is on a distinguished road
The good thing about the iPhone, is that it does what it does well. Unless of course you count mobile phone reception as one of those things that it should do, or unless you count its supposedly dodgy TCP/IP stack causing a bit of a problem with SonicWALL firewalls preventing access to video streaming (ie YouTube) unless you turn off all security mechanisms!

But if you need anything "more", good luck finding it for a good price. How much do 32 Gig mobiles cost, or phones with an actual keyboard that you can type on while you're a passenger in a car, or a flash, or SIP functionality.

Don't get me wrong, iPhone, absolutely gorgeous, does what it does very well. Just make sure you don't want to do anything more!
Ads

Old 19-12-2009, 03:15 PM

Yeah I noticed reception immediately but to be honest the N97 had the worst reception of any of my last 5 phones so it seems about on the same level. I couldn't agree more tho regarding finding something good for a good price. There are too many devices trying too hard to do everything possible and the end result is a market full of (not cheap) mediocre devices that do some things well and some things very poorly. I had a good look at what I use my mobile most for (besides the obvious - calls and texts) and at the moment the iPhone suits my purpose. The added bonus of being at the end of a contract helped so I didn't have to fork out much for the phone itself. I liked the look of the Nokia N900 but after my N97 experience I wasn't giving Nokia any more of my hard earned cash.

Old 19-12-2009, 03:29 PM

zxon is on a distinguished road
Personally I could say a lot about the iPhone(y), but the fact of the matter is you wanted a phone that worked. Your last phone for some reason didn't but your new one does and, to be honest, if I were faced with a situation like that I would be swayed too.

I wish you the best of luck in your choice of telecommunications

www.andrew-irvine.co.uk
Please support my suggestion for Gravity!! - Add cut/copy/paste for when N97 is open

Old 19-12-2009, 03:57 PM

buxz777 is on a distinguished road
i ditched mine and got the omnia hd (i8910)

brilliant handset with great hardware very underated

i used to hate the iphone but a couple of mates have the 3gs and its nicely built and doesnt cause them any major issues and if they have had problems apple have done over the counter swaps for them which was really good service , they have some good handy apps and the camera isnt to bad for a 3.2mp , iam a symbian lover but i reckon id choose the 3gs 32gb over the n97 as well , it has better hardware under the hood and runs nicer , the n97 should have had 256mb ram and a 600mhz processor with added 3d gfx support and open gui capabillities , knowing how underpowered the n97 it would make it hard for me to choose it again or recomend it and thats without all the gps and camera problems ive had over 4 devices :-)

at the minute the phones on the market id choose are

i8910
n900
iphone 3gs
satio
e72
hd2

everyone is different though but i just dont think the mini or the classic cut it as they are underpowered s60 5th devices , s60 5th needs more then 128mb ram and 434mhz processor , it was ok on s60 3rd , but with live widgets and a more hungry o/s the ram should have been upped to 256mb and the processor changed to a 600mhz processor , having limited ram and a old processor is going to limit these devices for furute proofing and i would expect them not to be powerfull enough to run the next implementation of symbian coming in april may this year , which is a shame and means people will have to buy a new device to test the new symbian os , maybe

i tryed to like it as well with four different handsets then made the switch

everyone to their own though some people will love it some will hate it , i just find it another n95 remake that isnt even as powerfull as the n95 8gb or n82 in terms of cpu power , gps accuaracy , o/s speed , durabillity , camera quality , ram size , 3dgfx capabillities ,

when you think that the hardware in 2-3 year old nokias is probably better then surely it starts to make you think hummmmm hold on a minute is this n97 so great when my 2-3 year old n82 had a more powerfull hardware setup lol

but as many say horses for courses and all that :-)

Old 20-12-2009, 06:21 PM

widehead is on a distinguished road
Thank goodness you didn't decide to downgrade to an N97 mini. The worst high-end phone I have owned. I'm sorely tempted by the iPhone (my work supplied everyone with a MacBook Pro in August and I have to say that I am never owning a windows-powered computer again) but am staying with the N86 8MP.

Old 20-12-2009, 06:31 PM

dez_borders is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowman View Post
My N97 is no more. Gone to mobile heaven (or in my case, Mazuma Mobile).... may it rest in peace (as opposed to the pieces it nearly rested in).
Good luck with your future mobile choice. Sorry your experience was so bad!

I came to the N97 after V20FW was released and immediately got my GPS fixed, and I find my N97 fast, stable and the best mobile I have ever owned.

We will probably never know (assuming it's not due to hardware faults) why some users have such a good experience and others so bad. That's life I guess?

All the best.

Old 20-12-2009, 07:06 PM

I think a lot of it depends on what apps you have installed and what you use your mobile for (besides the obvious). I think my experience was tainted because of the cost. After forking out 500 for what promised to be a stunning mobile experience I was left horribly disappointed. It's one of those times where you try to be positive and focus on the good points but no matter what I did I simply couldn't shake the feelings of disappointment (and anger at times). My biggest regret of the past 12 months was selling my N95. I think I was expecting the N97 to be a similar experience to the N95 when I first got it. You expect a few niggles and the N95 was far from perfect but I honestly believe the N97 was totally unready for release. Anyway, water under the bridge now. I have no regrets, you live and learn and it's all part of life's rich tapestry. Or something.

Old 22-12-2009, 10:14 AM

celios is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowman View Post
I think a lot of it depends on what apps you have installed and what you use your mobile for (besides the obvious). I think my experience was tainted because of the cost. After forking out 500 for what promised to be a stunning mobile experience I was left horribly disappointed. It's one of those times where you try to be positive and focus on the good points but no matter what I did I simply couldn't shake the feelings of disappointment (and anger at times). My biggest regret of the past 12 months was selling my N95. I think I was expecting the N97 to be a similar experience to the N95 when I first got it. You expect a few niggles and the N95 was far from perfect but I honestly believe the N97 was totally unready for release. Anyway, water under the bridge now. I have no regrets, you live and learn and it's all part of life's rich tapestry. Or something.
I completely agree.

If the N97 was selling at 300 SIM free, it would (on v20 firmware) be reasonable VFM. At 450-500, it's laughable.

Old 23-12-2009, 02:54 AM

jstockda is on a distinguished road
Well done. I too have dumped my N97 and I've been using the Samsung I8910 for the last few weeks. It takes a bit of getting used to and has a few firmware issues of it's own, but nothing that can't be fixed with a software update or two.
The best this is, I can sit indoors and get a GPS signal. I can drive for 5 minutes and not hear 'recalculating' over 10 times.
Lovely.

Old 23-12-2009, 11:20 AM

dez_borders is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jstockda View Post
The best this is, I can sit indoors and get a GPS signal. I can drive for 5 minutes and not hear 'recalculating' over 10 times.
Good luck with your new phone... so did you still have GPS issues AFTER an official NCC repair, or did you give up due to shortage of replacement parts?
My N97 GPS has been rock-solid since the rf-sponge was fitted several months ago.

Last edited by dez_borders; 23-12-2009 at 11:23 AM.

Old 23-12-2009, 11:40 PM

zxon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jstockda View Post
The best this is, I can sit indoors and get a GPS signal.
After I got my GPS fixed, I managed to get a very good signal whilst sat on the throne, which is in an entirely enclosed bathroom... no windows or anything.

www.andrew-irvine.co.uk
Please support my suggestion for Gravity!! - Add cut/copy/paste for when N97 is open

Old 28-12-2009, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dez_borders View Post
Good luck with your new phone... so did you still have GPS issues AFTER an official NCC repair, or did you give up due to shortage of replacement parts?
My N97 GPS has been rock-solid since the rf-sponge was fitted several months ago.
My N97 is currently back with the shop I bought it from and they are trying to fix it. I bought the N97 before it was launched in New Zealand from an import shop. Nokia NZ will only fix the NZ phone, mine is from Singapore. I suppose that's what happens when you want the new technology before anyone else.
Even if I do get the GPS fixed, I'll be selling the N97 as I prefer the I8910. I've just installed a customer firmware on it and it seems to be lighteneing fast, plus Samsung have just announced full kinetic scrolling in the next firmware release. It's getting better and better.

Old 28-12-2009, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zxon View Post
After I got my GPS fixed, I managed to get a very good signal whilst sat on the throne, which is in an entirely enclosed bathroom... no windows or anything.
Brilliant. I love it

Old 03-01-2010, 04:44 PM

moyhim is on a distinguished road
I have now also Jumped off the ship.

Had enough of the N97, don't get me wrong the aesthetically and physically the N97 is good, but the software support etc and the move onto Maemo is just disappointing.

Gone for the favourable Milestone (droid)

N97 for 500 has just been a waste unfortunately ... you live n learn though :P