All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Series 60

Old 08-11-2009, 09:25 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ammar_Dento View Post
@ North American commentators:

1. 100% of my friends didnt hear about Android.
2. The usual response for my Apple questions when i ask my friends are: Overpriced limited products...My 5 years old Nokia had a better camera...What? I cant send a ringtone?.....What is iTunes?..........................etc....
3. People think HTC Windows mobile are great phones but its too complicated...and why should i use 2 hands to do the simplest things?
4. The best 2 things out of NA are: We can buy unlocked phones...we dont have media hype for specific phone.
5. Am not talking am careless people...am talking about techie....

am talking from ME....

Should we write this in each S60 article?...like iPhone fan write the same sentence each day in 1000 forum to tell me his iPhone have an application for everything?...even he cant use 2 applications in the same time.
I guess you don't live in the US? I see iPhones EVERYWHERE. In NYC, in subways, in airports. And see ppl who carry G1 in the subways. I guess you don't watch AAPL quarterly reports or NPD stats. Can you honestly tell me that Nokia sells better than HTC in the US? We're not talking about a smartphone vs a non-smartphone. We're talking about a Nokia smartphone vs a non-Nokia smartphone. And I'm a software dev as well with lot's of developer friends, who agrees on one thing - Nokia doesn't provide a good market for devs, at least in the US. I'm not the Apple fanboy, as I DON'T own an iPhone, but I AM giving my N97 NAM a chance, but I just make note of what I actually see, and the reactions my friends get between my phone and others. As much as I WANT Symbian succeed, you really can't just give a blind eye to the current market trends. And as I said, I think N95-2/4 still seems to be king of the hill in many ppl's mind, but you'll have to admit that Nokia basically blew it by not capitalizing on their position. So give me a break about bringing fanboyism in here. It makes YOU look more like the fanboy right now.
Ads

Old 09-11-2009, 03:52 AM
Banned

pollyanna03 is on a distinguished road
thanks for your information

Old 09-11-2009, 03:55 AM

desertrat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I just wish they'd done the same with RAM, though perhaps this would have cannibalised sales of the N97 since power users would have switched in an instant.
That is exactly what is wrong with Nokia. They churn out phone after phone but none with a complete feature set. Even though some features costs nothing extra to implement and had been present in previous models. My current peeve is why the f**k did they reduce the functionality of the E71 keyboard in comparison to the E61. What did Nokia achieve in doing that? Saved the costs of the ink required to print the extra characters onto the keys? WTF were they thinking?

Old 09-11-2009, 07:33 AM
Dopey

What a surprise

16 responses, most of which are about the iPhone. What a huge surprise...

Old 09-11-2009, 08:11 AM
Unregistered

Get your facts straight

@dopey (no comment),

You might want to start with the author of this article. He mentioned the iPhone first. So place the blame there. Second, how many times do you see Apple throwing darts at Nokia or Symbian? Sure there are the typical Appleistas that are no different than the Nokia zealots but at the corporate level the only one Apple targets is Microsoft. As far as Apple is concerned neither Nokia, LG, Samsung, SE, Motorola, etc... exist. Apple will continue to sell their phones, gain a bit of market share here and there, and drive on. You might want to do the same. Just a thought.

Old 09-11-2009, 08:45 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I believe you confuse CAN vs ALLOWED TO:
http://www.mexlinux.com/how-to-turn-...asking-device/

The link above teaches you how to enable it, but the feature is most certainly there. W/o getting into some philosiphical debate as to why Apple turned it off, let's not forget there's a UNIX kernel inside iPhone OS, so please don't misinform the forum here with your claim it can't.....
That is just so pedantic. I wasn't talking about Unix, I was talking about the iPhone implentation, and there is no misleading at all. The reason Apple don't allow the multi-tasking is well known because they have come out and explained it. Put very simply, the fundamental OS and fundamental apps that do run in the background need a ceratin amount of resource, and what is left is a constant known quantity so an App developer doesn't have to deal with a variable in something so essential as the available resource. I can see the logic, but I am not sure it is necessary.

Old 09-11-2009, 08:51 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopey View Post
16 responses, most of which are about the iPhone. What a huge surprise...
On a forums discussing smartphones? Who'd have thought it.

FFS.

Old 09-11-2009, 09:22 AM

k.ewin is on a distinguished road
The N97 in it's current form is the best phone available for me today. I had my issues (and rants) in the past but now with firmware v20 I took a fresh look.

My personal "must haves":
  • Browser with Flash and Silverlight support (eventually a choice of browsers as currently there is not one mobile browser doing every single site well.)
  • Large high resolution screen
  • Good camera (at least in the 5 MP range) as the phone is my main camera
  • Good call quality and reception
  • integrated VoIP telephony (with 3G support)
  • Querty keyboard not covering precious screen real estate while chatting
  • Instant messaging running in the background
  • Push email with HTML and viewing ability for all major file formats
  • Full status information on home screen (weather, mail, calendar etc.)
  • One handed operation in portrait mode
  • Emulators as I love retro gaming
  • Bluetooth joystick for retro gaming
  • PC synchronisation that works well with MS Outlook
  • FM Radio with good reception quality (and ideally with RDS)
  • Must work without Google apps as I am avoiding them (just my personal paranoia )

What other phone should I choose?

Old 09-11-2009, 09:44 AM

Ammar_Dento is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I guess you don't live in the US? I see iPhones EVERYWHERE. In NYC, in subways, in airports. And see ppl who carry G1 in the subways. I guess you don't watch AAPL quarterly reports or NPD stats. Can you honestly tell me that Nokia sells better than HTC in the US? We're not talking about a smartphone vs a non-smartphone. We're talking about a Nokia smartphone vs a non-Nokia smartphone. And I'm a software dev as well with lot's of developer friends, who agrees on one thing - Nokia doesn't provide a good market for devs, at least in the US. I'm not the Apple fanboy, as I DON'T own an iPhone, but I AM giving my N97 NAM a chance, but I just make note of what I actually see, and the reactions my friends get between my phone and others. As much as I WANT Symbian succeed, you really can't just give a blind eye to the current market trends. And as I said, I think N95-2/4 still seems to be king of the hill in many ppl's mind, but you'll have to admit that Nokia basically blew it by not capitalizing on their position. So give me a break about bringing fanboyism in here. It makes YOU look more like the fanboy right now.
No i dont live in the US. I am talking from Middle East. And you know why people use iPhones everywhere,Vendor to subsidize the cost+Market hype to apologize any fault+Flashy UI and i cant say simple UI because for some people its limitation.

Android is still very young. the large proportion of people didnt hear about it yet.

I cant say anything about the developers because am not one of them.

Am not a fanboy like you said but i hate people think that since they pay the money the manufacture should ask them about there dream phone and make it. If you talk only about Nokia then they sell very well in China so the TS is resistive,they are finnish too..forget the capacitive screen only in selected devices. You cant blame them,they can even remove the english language support. did i mention they remove the arabic language support from N900?.

N95,N82,E90 was the best.....but as a 7 years Nokia user i know they had problems before and they resolve it...i faced the same problem when i want to upgrade from 6600 and didnt find any worthy device till 3250 comes.

Old 09-11-2009, 01:25 PM
Unregistered

Right...

I see bringing the dreaded phone by steve jobs into this conversation, even if I'm not 100% supporting it, is strictly forbidden here. As I type this from my N97 let me give some of personal points:
- the only phone I have ever owned is a Nokia in the last 5 years (6630, n70, N95, N97)
-I've managed to managed to convince 6 different people (techie, non-techie) in the past 2 years to buy n95-3/4
-I never had multitasking issues in the past 5 years until the n97
-my friends depend on me to tell them what's WRONG with a phone b4 making a final call on buying it

That last statement will probably sum up about 80% of the whole markets buying decision at the end. I would not be able to convince anyone to purchase an N97 w/o lying about the flaws/bugs on this phone. if i was not on at&t, this phone would NOT convince me nor anyone to switch.
for you self-proclaimed tech geeks not in the us, seriously, why would you ever forgo the N900 or omnia hd for this?!?! they cost the same!!!!
for the more casual techie, if you are seriously going to plunk down serious cash for this (and don't tell me about free or whatever, I used to live in the UK, I know what 'free' really costs from a 3,orange, vodafone, tmo plan), wouldn't you want a more dependable phone up front?
I never had probs with speakerphone, gps on a gps phone, or ram until n97. I've never been mislead about a nokia phone until now (remember the transition videos). I didn't have to worry about my lens until the N97. I lost my GPU. is this the price I have to pay to get a new keyboard, an underutilized screen, and a faster processor?
so let me try to sum up the defenders and naysayers here:

- you would rather buy a multimedia phone with a smaller screen with less codec support than the omnia hd
- you would rather buy a multitasking phone with less ram than the omnia, n900, jesus phone, and no virtual memory support
-you'd rather pay for the subpar browser. it can't finish the acid test, eats so much ram that it will shut apps in the bg, and has a clunky UI. and proof that flash is not very useful on a nokia phone, look no further than opera 10 beta.everyone is raving about this browser, despite lack of flash.
-you'd rather let nokia devs get away with putting out truly buggy devices and then confuse them even more when a ton of ppl complain about stupid bugs (which always happen in the best of dev) vs true incompetence
If I didn't pay over $200 less than nokia's retail, I'd be just as angry as most ppl who really hate the n97.
But I can tell everyone wants to be the apologist here. go ahead and be an island unto yourselves.

Old 09-11-2009, 03:21 PM

snoFlake is on a distinguished road
I've also posted in the the Insight 93 thread (and many times before) re the N97 as a "happy owner" well actually as someone who is now shackled to a device for another 12+months that I actively disalike.

First off Steve good comparison article I really look forward to the second and third parts and yes I think we can all see the obvious conclusion that the Mini is way better and the device that the N97 should have been, and may have been if it hadn't been announced so far ahead of release. I agree with the poster who said the N97 was clearly designed to target the iPhone 2G and by the time the 3GS came looked threadbare.

Secondly I fully agree with you that it's a shame they've continued to under spec RAM on the Mini and agree that the likely reason is that it would make the N97 look totally ridiculous (this is why they will drop/ do a II vers of N97 I think) . The whole hardware platform implementation by Nokia is pretty incomprehensible to me. A lot of times you refer to power users and multi tasking but the simple fact is that the platform cannot run active homescreen widgets (THE major product benefit sold by Nokia) and another couple of apps without flaking out therefore it cannot work as billed.

Can you force it to function for you by asking less of it - yes of course but it isn't what I bought into or what was billed. The UI experiance is poor and now becasuse of the crippled platform you don't even get the benefit of bells and whistles. So you end up having to ask less of it than the iPhone for example AND have a worse user experience (it can't even game as well)

With this I also have to put my dismal experience of Nokia care - phone's been back twice without them fixing camera and GPS properly and this is after having to phone all around Nokia UK and having to visit Regent Street flagship store twice and then having to take it to Carphone Warehouse on their recommendation. I have wasted a huge ammount of time trying to fix a phone which in it's early firmware state couldn't even take a phone call without crashing. Owing to repair times I haven't had the use of it for 30% of the time I've owned it.

In light of all this I will be actively disuading all my friends from buying Nokia products (particulalry as their UI is also very unintuitive to most and they'd never cope having to load apps and music as the devices stand) as they're not fit for broad consumption don't work as advertised and are not constructed well.

Old 09-11-2009, 03:35 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
:

- you would rather buy a multimedia phone with a smaller screen with less codec support than the omnia hd
- you would rather buy a multitasking phone with less ram than the omnia, n900, jesus phone, and no virtual memory support
Would I be prepared to carry around a lump as big at the Omnia, N900 or PIEphone?

No. So what other phone does everything the N97 mini does in as compact a form factor?

And I will be paying less than 75% of the current price.

Old 09-11-2009, 03:41 PM

snoFlake is on a distinguished road
Oh and PS I'm a Nokia shareholder - DOH!

Old 09-11-2009, 04:28 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Would I be prepared to carry around a lump as big at the Omnia, N900 or PIEphone?

No. So what other phone does everything the N97 mini does in as compact a form factor?

And I will be paying less than 75% of the current price.
Then you're probably the WORST of all customers, as you will do absolutely nothing to help provide Nokia any useful feedback, and only wait until the device is already out of style, and tell Nokia that you're only willing to pay really little for functionality. And probably unrealistic/oblivious, because if you truly got it for 75% or any retail, either you bought it second hand, or got it at a firesale, which means you didn't really vote with your wallet. otherwise, getting it for cheap first hand usually means a subsidy, which translates to NOT REALLY ALL THAT CHEAP as you forgo opportunity cost. So for all the good ppl on this forum, thanks alot turd.

Old 09-11-2009, 04:35 PM
big_don

Thumbs down QWERTY like sh..tt!

as a E71 owner i went to the store and thought about getting the N97 mini and btw i find nothing mini about it! The size is decent but it's not much smaller than the N97 (i would prefer it a bit thinner). I did not appreciate the news that they had dropped FM transmitter on the mini! that was one of the selling points for replacing my E71. Then i tried out the QWERTY keyboard and I must say NO WAY!!! The keyboard is god awful on the N97/N97 mini and not even close to my E71. The buttons are just too flat, too hard to press, there's too much wasted space, it should be 4 rows of keys and put the damn space button in the middle, who the hell puts the space button to the side??? Name one cell phone maker that does that!

I had to say no thanks.

Put FM transmitter into the mini
add the E75 keyboard on it
increase internal memory to its big brother level
upgrade the god damn old looking S60 touch UI (there was a nice UI in San Francisco i saw the other day on youtube btw.)

and you may be heading in the right direction Nokia. Otherwise its an awfully designed phone and Nokia dropped the ball again in my book.