All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

  #1  
Old 15-11-2004, 05:15 PM
othman_mohamad othman_mohamad is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: beirut, lebanon
Posts: 1
othman_mohamad is on a distinguished road
Help!!!!

hello,

i bought the nokia 6260 mobile phone 3days ago, but somehow i received a file via bluetooth called caribe, this file can really mess up your bluetooth connection as whenever you turn it on it sends it self to all the people having their bluetooth enabled and when you try to remove it from the file manager it automatically reinstall itself again.

What happened is that i removed the Virus by formatting both the memory card and the phone. whats happening now is that i think i removed files from the memory card that has something to do with the connection because now i can only receive or dial calls for two seconds, exactly two seconds and then im out.

Please advise

Regards
__________________
M.O

  #2  
Old 15-11-2004, 06:47 PM
naymyo89 naymyo89 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 14
naymyo89 is on a distinguished road
hope this helps...

REMOVAL INSTRUCTION:
To remove SymbOS.Cabir:

1.Install a file manager program on the phone.
2.Enable the option to view the files in the system directory.
3.Search the drives, A through Y, for the \\SYSTEM\\APPS\\CARIBE directory.
4.Delete the files CARIBE.APP, CARIBE.RSC, and FLO.MDL from the \\CARIB directory.
5.Go to the C:\\SYSTEM\\SYMBIANSECUREDATA\\CARIBESECURITYMANAG ER directory.
6.Delete the files CARIBE.APP, CARIBE.RSC, and CARIBE.SIS.
7.Go to the C:\\SYSTEM\\RECOGS directory.
8.Delete the file, FLO.MDL.
9.Go to the C:\\SYSTEM\\INSTALLS directory.
10.Delete the file, CARIBE.SIS.

Note: You cannot delete the file CARIBE.RSC when the program is running.
If you cannot delete this file in steps 4 and 6, delete all the files that you can, restart the phone, and then delete the CARIBE.RSC file.

-Nay

  #3  
Old 16-11-2004, 01:28 PM
dansansome's Avatar
dansansome dansansome is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: sunny sunny bournemouth
Posts: 70
dansansome is on a distinguished road
the caribe virus is not a true virus, it doesnt really harm the phone, it is really a proof of concept piece of software. ok, it does try to send itself to other bluetooth enabled devices, but you actually have to accept the incoming file.

anyway, my point is that formatting the phone should not have screwed up your ability to make calls, unless the format "instructions" that are in the phone firmware are screwed. try reformatting again. there shouldnt be anything on the memory card that would have anything to do with the calls, after all, the mmc can be removed any time you want.

hope you get it sorted.

Dan.

  #4  
Old 27-11-2004, 01:00 PM
George Kerley
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Caribe.sis

Dan got it very wrong !!! The Virus/Worm first destroys your battery and then slowly degrades the ability of the underlying software system. If you enjoy buyinga battery every two days, then ALWAYS install it!

  #5  
Old 30-11-2004, 01:28 PM
dansansome's Avatar
dansansome dansansome is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: sunny sunny bournemouth
Posts: 70
dansansome is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by George Kerley
Dan got it very wrong !!! The Virus/Worm first destroys your battery and then slowly degrades the ability of the underlying software system. If you enjoy buyinga battery every two days, then ALWAYS install it!
did i?

well then perhaps you could explain to me how a piece of software destroys the battery?

does it create a chemical imbalance that renders the battery unable to store charge? i guess no.

does it infect the battery operating system? er...no.

could it short circuit the battery whilst in the phone? not unless the virus can re-route the tracks on the circuit boards.

it may well drain battery quicker because the "virus" hammers the bluetooth connection trying to replicate to other handsets. but physically destroy the battery? i think not.

the "virus" can be safely removed by deleting a few files that relate to the caribe virus only.

c:\system\apps\caribe\caribe.rsc
c:\system\apps\caribe\caribe.app
c:\system\apps\caribe\flo.mdl
c:\system\recogs\flo.mdl
c:\system\symbiansecuredata\caribesecuritymanager\ caribe.app
c:\system\symbiansecuredata\caribesecuritymanager\ caribe.rsc

all stored in phone memory. "underlying software system" files all live in the phone's ROM.

if the caribe virus is SO DANGEROUS, why then, does none of the anti virus sites list the side effects that you state?

see here:

http://securityresponse.symantec.com...poc.cabir.html

note the second paragraph "There is no payload, apart from the vastly shortened battery life caused by the constant scanning for Bluetooth-enabled devices."

and here:

http://www.f-secure.com/v-descs/cabir.shtml

so in conclusion, no, i dont think i did get it very wrong.


mods, please excuse the angle i took in response, the cabir "virus" is a self replicator, and thats it. nothing else. i know i'm new to the site, but i am not new to series60 handsets. i didnt appreciate the unsubstantiated comments aimed at myself, and i dont like the "scaremongering" that George was creating. take all the action you feel necessary. Dan.

  #6  
Old 22-12-2004, 10:40 AM
SISTUS
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by dansansome
the caribe virus is not a true virus, it doesnt really harm the phone, it is really a proof of concept piece of software. ok, it does try to send itself to other bluetooth enabled devices, but you actually have to accept the incoming file.

anyway, my point is that formatting the phone should not have screwed up your ability to make calls, unless the format "instructions" that are in the phone firmware are screwed. try reformatting again. there shouldnt be anything on the memory card that would have anything to do with the calls, after all, the mmc can be removed any time you want.

hope you get it sorted.

Dan.

SOMOBODY POSTED THIS ON THE SITE

the "virus" can be safely removed by deleting a few files that relate to the caribe virus only.

c:\system\apps\caribe\caribe.rsc
c:\system\apps\caribe\caribe.app
c:\system\apps\caribe\flo.mdl
c:\system\recogs\flo.mdl
c:\system\symbiansecuredata\caribesecuritymanager\ caribe.app
c:\system\symbiansecuredata\caribesecuritymanager\ caribe.rsc



THE PROBLEM NOW IS HOW DO I GET TO THIS FILLES.
PLS E MAIL ME AT SISTUSDGREAT@YAHOO.COM
MY 6600 IS DYING

  #7  
Old 22-12-2004, 12:15 PM
dansansome's Avatar
dansansome dansansome is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: sunny sunny bournemouth
Posts: 70
dansansome is on a distinguished road
you have to use a third party explorer program such as seleq or fexplorer so that you can view all the files/folders on the phone, rather than use the built in file manager, which only lets you see what nokia want you to be able to see.

  #8  
Old 22-12-2004, 03:59 PM
dhanesh's Avatar
dhanesh dhanesh is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Abu Dhabi
Posts: 147
dhanesh is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by dansansome
mods, please excuse the angle i took in response, the cabir "virus" is a self replicator, and thats it. nothing else. i know i'm new to the site, but i am not new to series60 handsets. i didnt appreciate the unsubstantiated comments aimed at myself, and i dont like the "scaremongering" that George was creating. take all the action you feel necessary. Dan.
And i thought i wuz a PHD ! well dan i guess .. err well i positively think that what ever explaination u gave wuz perfect ... i too agree with the fact that its not an actual virus .. but sumwhat similar .. norton would be commin up with a symbian edition soon i hope lol ..
Well one thing noticed in the virus .. when i actually d'loaded it and installed it (jobless) i know .. but yes .. the virus did have one capability of connecting to GPRS .. now i duno if its my operator settings or the virus .. but the G used to be switched on even after i closed the connection .. its like a force redial ..
newayz .. thanks for the detailed info .. versed me a lil

aww and abt the formating mmc n phone .. well always format the phone first then the mmc

Cheers
__________________
Nokia 3660 / 6260 / 6630 / Motorola Razr V3x / E65 / N95 / Now: 5800 XpressMusic
Phd. Symbian Tech.
Ads

  #9  
Old 22-12-2004, 04:24 PM
dansansome's Avatar
dansansome dansansome is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: sunny sunny bournemouth
Posts: 70
dansansome is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanesh
And i thought i wuz a PHD ! well dan i guess .. err well i positively think that what ever explaination u gave wuz perfect ... i too agree with the fact that its not an actual virus .. but sumwhat similar .. norton would be commin up with a symbian edition soon i hope lol ..
Well one thing noticed in the virus .. when i actually d'loaded it and installed it (jobless) i know .. but yes .. the virus did have one capability of connecting to GPRS .. now i duno if its my operator settings or the virus .. but the G used to be switched on even after i closed the connection .. its like a force redial ..
newayz .. thanks for the detailed info .. versed me a lil

aww and abt the formating mmc n phone .. well always format the phone first then the mmc

Cheers
someone finally commented!

although my comments above may have been seen as mild flaming, i was just irritated by the allegations and i felt i needed to PROVE that i wasnt wrong. anyways. back on topic...

bit of an odd one about the GPRS connection, did you ever find out what it was trying to connect to/send/receive whilst it did that?

did you remove cabir by format or just deleting the files listed above?

  #10  
Old 22-12-2004, 04:58 PM
GhostDog's Avatar
GhostDog GhostDog is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Skopje,Macedonia
Posts: 6,356
GhostDog will become famous soon enough
Nothing to be sorry about dansansome.The hype of this so called "viruses" which are nothing more but maliciously coded applications is caused by people like George Kerley and antivirus companies trying to make a quick buck.I wonder who George Kerley works for.
__________________
www.symbiandiaries.com/ghostdog



Please don't PM me with something that belongs in the forums.Search first,then ask.

  #11  
Old 22-12-2004, 09:31 PM
dhanesh's Avatar
dhanesh dhanesh is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Abu Dhabi
Posts: 147
dhanesh is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by dansansome
someone finally commented!

although my comments above may have been seen as mild flaming, i was just irritated by the allegations and i felt i needed to PROVE that i wasnt wrong. anyways. back on topic...

bit of an odd one about the GPRS connection, did you ever find out what it was trying to connect to/send/receive whilst it did that?

did you remove cabir by format or just deleting the files listed above?

Well ... the GPRS wuz with a box around it alrite so it wuz sedin or recieving stuff .. now i duno how do i check what data wuz sent or received .. but as i installed it my self just to check out the virus .. i removed it using the format as well as manual and a smart uninstaller i got from sum site ... the manual removal worked cause the phone wuz normal as b4 .. but format wuz like a lil weird cause i had problems accessing the mmc .. and one more format would do the trick .. the unstall proggy need a format anyways cause all installed apps caused error .. even the camera use to cause error and close ...
well i guess this wuz pretty it .. the situation of the virus on a n3660 ... m noot messin with my 6260 now :P lol ...

l8erz ...
__________________
Nokia 3660 / 6260 / 6630 / Motorola Razr V3x / E65 / N95 / Now: 5800 XpressMusic
Phd. Symbian Tech.
 

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT. The time now is 07:15 AM.


vBulletin skins developed by: eXtremepixels
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright Notes || Contact Us || Privacy Policy