All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 18-11-2008, 02:59 PM

sngltnc is on a distinguished road
N95 8gb Gps Help!!!!

I know this has been covered many times before, but I cant find a thread that will solve my problem. I cannot get a fix through Nokia Maps. Google maps will give me my location. Nokia maps just says searching for satellites but will not locate me. I have left my phone in the garden for 3 hours but still no fix. My settings are access point defined as contract wap and I have assisted GPS activated. I have tried contract internet but still nothing. I took my phone , which is only 6 weeks old, to my local Nokia warranty repairs place and they re-flashed it, but still I get nothing. I have read in previous threads about activating GPS but cannot find this option.

Old 18-11-2008, 04:29 PM

RogerPodacter is on a distinguished road
if you say google maps works, then load up google maps and let it aquire GPS lock, then minimize it to the background and load nokia maps. this way the GPS will already be turned on and actively locked, so nokia maps will use the same GPS lock. and are you sure you are pressing zero in nokia maps to go to your location? usually it will just stay on the last place of the map until you press zero to go to current location.

and since you say you have assisted GPS turned on, this is good, and it should lock on in 15 seconds. and make sure the slider is open to expose the GPS antenna under the zero key.

Old 18-11-2008, 07:24 PM

jstockda is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerPodacter View Post
if you say google maps works, then load up google maps and let it aquire GPS lock, then minimize it to the background and load nokia maps. this way the GPS will already be turned on and actively locked, so nokia maps will use the same GPS lock. and are you sure you are pressing zero in nokia maps to go to your location? usually it will just stay on the last place of the map until you press zero to go to current location.

and since you say you have assisted GPS turned on, this is good, and it should lock on in 15 seconds. and make sure the slider is open to expose the GPS antenna under the zero key.
Not wanting to be picky (but I will be anyway), I thought the GPS antenna was in a different place on the N95 8GB, at the top of the phone and not under the keypad.

Old 18-11-2008, 07:46 PM

I have tried minimising Google maps but still cant get a lock on Nokia Maps. When I started up Google maps, location started over USA, top right corner said updating location, then it located me as UK within 1100 metres of my exact location. I have been told that Google maps does not locate via the GPS receiver, I personally do not think this is true. There must be a part of the settings that I do not have right but I cant pinpoint it! I know it should be working as it is, I previously had the original N95 and it locked on without a problem!

Old 18-11-2008, 08:30 PM

I have just left my phone in the garden, slider open for another hour and still nothing! Im gonna kick this phone into orbit in a minute, lets see if its finds a satellite then!!

Old 18-11-2008, 09:27 PM

mstruve is on a distinguished road
I have the same problem on mine. GPS worked fine on my previous N95, but since I replaced the handset I can't get a lock at all. Yours sounds slightly different though, as mine does seem to find satellites. Also mine isn't an 8gb.

I eventually gave up to be honest, but from the searching I did do it looked like some models just have dodgy GPS chips. Sounds like your best bet might be to send it back to Nokia as I think you're still within the manufacturer's warranty period.

Old 19-11-2008, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sngltnc View Post
I have tried minimising Google maps but still cant get a lock on Nokia Maps. When I started up Google maps, location started over USA, top right corner said updating location, then it located me as UK within 1100 metres of my exact location. I have been told that Google maps does not locate via the GPS receiver, I personally do not think this is true. There must be a part of the settings that I do not have right but I cant pinpoint it! I know it should be working as it is, I previously had the original N95 and it locked on without a problem!
well since google maps approximated you to 100 meters, that means that it was triangulating via the cell towers, not using the actual GPS. yes, google maps DOES use the true gps chip in the n95. when i use google maps it shows the number of satellites in the top right corner of the screen. something is wrong with your agps settings. search around for the nokia server address that is supposed to be listed in your positioning app. something is wrong, because nokia maps and google maps both work fine using the gps, getting a solild lock within 15 seconds. so dont give up, it does work well. something just isnt right with your phone.

Old 20-11-2008, 09:11 AM

I have no option to edit my AGPS settings. what do you mean by 'search around for the nokia server address that is supposed to be listed in your positioning app'? My server address reads: supl.nokia.com which I believe to be right!?

Old 19-11-2008, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstockda View Post
Not wanting to be picky (but I will be anyway), I thought the GPS antenna was in a different place on the N95 8GB, at the top of the phone and not under the keypad.

no its not at the top. it is in the same place as the original n95, under the zero keypad button.