All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 16-02-2005, 03:56 PM
Mobile_Angel

Nokia 6630 Unlock Code saga

Hi all.

I've been reading a couple of threads and just thought I'd my own. I've done this after viewing a post by 'Nokia_6630'.

I received a Motorola E550 through an insurance payout - though not by choice (I didn't have 1!) and because the GUI sucks I decided to sell it on EBAY. After scanning the different fones on EBAY - and being a gadget junky, I plumped for and won the bidding on a NOKIA 6630 that was on the VODAFONE network. Incidentally, I have a T-MOBILE contract!

If only I'd known what a pain it would cause.

The seller had told me it was locked but I assumed (wrongly) that this was just a case of taking the fone to one of thousands of phone shops to unlock. So I went to 3 shops - and they all said they couldn't because it was a new fone and they didn't have the data for the unlock yet???

So despite using unlock calculators and different sim cards I still haven't been able to unlock it. All this probably comes as no surprise - since it now seems an established fact that theres loads of information saying you can't unlock it.

However, I did read on one of the posts that Nokia issues the unlock codes and not Vodafone (UK).

What I'm really interested in hearing about (constructively) - is whether there have been any news updates on availability of NOKIA 6630 unlocking codes. Are they available yet and if so, what are they or how can I get them?

I'm sure other people might also be after the same info. My apologies for being such a mug and not finding out about the fone before I bought it - but there again - its not exactly common knowledge via Word-Of-Mouth!!

Thanks folks

Mobile_Angel - LONDON, N1

Old 16-02-2005, 04:07 PM

Jj03 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobile_Angel
Hi all.

I've been reading a couple of threads and just thought I'd my own. I've done this after viewing a post by 'Nokia_6630'.

I received a Motorola E550 through an insurance payout - though not by choice (I didn't have 1!) and because the GUI sucks I decided to sell it on EBAY. After scanning the different fones on EBAY - and being a gadget junky, I plumped for and won the bidding on a NOKIA 6630 that was on the VODAFONE network. Incidentally, I have a T-MOBILE contract!

If only I'd known what a pain it would cause.

The seller had told me it was locked but I assumed (wrongly) that this was just a case of taking the fone to one of thousands of phone shops to unlock. So I went to 3 shops - and they all said they couldn't because it was a new fone and they didn't have the data for the unlock yet???

So despite using unlock calculators and different sim cards I still haven't been able to unlock it. All this probably comes as no surprise - since it now seems an established fact that theres loads of information saying you can't unlock it.

However, I did read on one of the posts that Nokia issues the unlock codes and not Vodafone (UK).

What I'm really interested in hearing about (constructively) - is whether there have been any news updates on availability of NOKIA 6630 unlocking codes. Are they available yet and if so, what are they or how can I get them?

I'm sure other people might also be after the same info. My apologies for being such a mug and not finding out about the fone before I bought it - but there again - its not exactly common knowledge via Word-Of-Mouth!!

Thanks folks

Mobile_Angel - LONDON, N1

hi, i work for carphone warehouse in bolton, and as far as unlock codes for the 6630 goes, as of yet, it hasn't been possible to unlock it...weve had a bucket load of complaints about this issue...luckily, when weve been asked about 66330 on voda instore, ive warned people against buying the handset on voda....and its not just the unlock issue thats the problem either...you've bought a fantastic phone but its a a shame you'll have to wait a while to get it unlocked...

Old 16-02-2005, 04:31 PM

The_Fellowship is an unknown quantity at this point
Vodafone still have no information regarding how long it might take. Just get the usual "waiting for Nokia to supply the un-lock code..."

Old 17-02-2005, 12:38 AM
Super Moderator

GRIM REAPER will become famous soon enough
i've been assured by several different shops that re-flashing the phone with a generic firmware will remove the NUC but i'm a bit sceptical.

on the bright side. i managed to talk the guy in my local carphone warehouse into requesting an unlock code for my t-mobile 6630 using HIS contract details. he's been a customer for about 3 years & has told t-mobile if he doesn't get the code within 30 days, he'll end his contract. they've told him they'll have it in the next 14 days.

the reason he's using his details is because i bought the phone off ebay & t-mobile refused to unlock it unless i was a customer. i went & bought a pay as you go sim but then they told me that i had to be a customer for at least 3 months.

Old 17-02-2005, 12:38 PM
Mobile_Angel

Phone Handset

Well, I thank you all for ur thoughts so far. It's a shame that I didn't think of the unlock issue before I bought it on ebay - we live and learn

I am thinking of phoning a local Nokia Service Centre and seeing what they can do? I seem to be experiencing that MP3/AAC ringtone fault ("incorrect file format!!") where I can't use those formats as ringtones - which of course u'd be able to do on any other media-based Nokia!!

With that in-mind, I'm thinking of using that fault to try and get the phone flashed and maybe that'll reset it.

Apart from that - the only thing I can think of doing is checking what decent Nokia phones can be unlocked and sell this one again for an alternative!

Motorola's GUI is pants - can't stand the things!! Nokia rules (except the 6630, lol!! )

Look forward to more responses!!! If I hear of anything regarding possible UNLOCKING - from Nokia, or by any other source - I'll be sure to let u all know!!!

FAB

Old 17-02-2005, 01:25 PM

Jay3gsm is on a distinguished road
The file format error on the Vodafone 6630 is not an error, Vodafone have asked for this to be disabled on the phone. aac format tones work.

Old 17-02-2005, 06:57 PM

ceanth is on a distinguished road
put the phone back on ebay, this way at least you will get some of (if not all) of your money back. If anyone asks why you are selling so soon say it was a gift for someone and they didnt want it

Old 17-02-2005, 09:02 PM

beckhamyears is on a distinguished road
Unhappy I'm in the dingy aswell

Reading them last posts seems a bit of de-jar-voo? I'm a ebay sucker who brought a t-mobile locked 6630.
I'm overdosing on forums today trying to get some info on the unlocking of these phones.
One question I've got is who is actually trying to work out the algorythm to unlock these phones? Or is it a code that nokia supply?
The phone looks superb and as I'm on 3 network using the worst LG 3 flip phone in the buisness, which pinches my hair in my sideburns everytime i hold the flippin thing to my ear, I just can't wait for this phone to be unlocked.
i visited my local phone techie shop today and he even has the cable for a 6630 for his flasher/unlocker box and firmware but says he is waiting for the code??? before he can do anything? and should be any time now?

Are we sure this isn't a scam and Nokia are just laughin at us?????
Ads

Old 18-02-2005, 04:23 PM

Vodafone have said 'the Nokia 6630 is currently un-lockable" lol (like we didn't already know that!). They have no idea when Nokia will provide them with the unlock codes...apparently they are waiting for some 'hardware'...the wait goes on...

Old 19-02-2005, 12:47 AM
Mobile_Angel

Well I just got off the Nokia website. I've just emailed them "nicely" to ask if there is now a way of unlocking it. We live in hope - but I don't think there's much!

I had actually pondered selling the phone again - especially after hearing the the thing about Vodafone wanting MP3 ringtones disabled - f**kers! I'm sure if I explain to the woman I bought it off she'd understand...!!!

I really love the phone and I NOW know I'm one of thousands (it seems) that have fallen into this trap! So it seems just a shame to get rid of it.

Should I hang on that extra week or should I just sling this cheap nasty SIEMENS MC60 and get another DECENT UNLOCKABLE phone!!

Is it really worth the hassle.......

Watch this space.........answers on a postcard please :-)

MOBILE ANGEL

Old 19-02-2005, 12:25 PM

There are ways around the MP3 ringtone restriction on Vodafone...but I know it's a real pain and we shouldn't really have to put up with it. I think it will be a while before an un-lock solution is available. If you really need to have the handset un-locked then it may be worth selling it and buying an alternative handset. Or you could sell the handset and put the money towards buying an un-locked Nokia 6630...but again it's more expense and unnecessary (since you already have the handset!)...it's a puzzler lol

Old 19-02-2005, 01:21 PM

TRiBaL is on a distinguished road
I think it can be unlocked if you flash it with the new firmware

Old 28-02-2005, 02:12 PM
Mobile_Angel

Well alls well that ends well.

I decided to sell my Vodafone locked N6630 in the end. It just seemed like so much hassle.

I bought it for 220 on Ebay. And someone bought it off me for 200. Not too much of a loss considering it was locked and people could see I bought it from Ebay beforehand!

Anyway, so there I was at the weekend - still stuck with a tacky fone! When I just happened to visit my local computer market in Central London and I spotted this mobile phone guy there.

I explained to him the problems I had and that I sold my Voda N6630. He agreed with me that it was a fab fone and showed me one he had locked on T-Mobile (which is my network) with charger, box and memory card.

He agreed to part exchange my crappy Siemens for the T-Mobile 6630 and sell it to me for 170. Needless to say I bought it.

So now I'm a happy bunny with a Nokia 6630 that I can actually use. It's working fine now with my Bluetooth too!

And it doesn't have that pesky MP3 restriction on it (bugger off Vodafone!!)

Good luck everyone.

Old 28-02-2005, 06:46 PM

Supersimonp is on a distinguished road
Question 6630

hi i have been intrested in getting a 6630 everythink about this phone is just what im looking for> i have been offered a brand new one which is locked on vodafone for 180 with no sim, so it is not yet possible for it to be unlocked but i will when it is possible i surpose because im a fan of 02. If i buy a normal vodafone pay as you go sim will this work fine because i dont know much about 3g.

thanks

Old 01-03-2005, 04:57 AM

fannypad is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobile_Angel
... and sell it to me for 170. ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supersimonp
... for 180 with no sim ...
Blimey, I assumed the 6630 would plummet in price around this time, but not that quickly!

Simonp, you can use any vodafone SIM with a vodafone locked 6630.