All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 07-07-2008, 03:33 PM

Liam548 is on a distinguished road
0 button loosing paint

its started to chip and come away, anyone else the same?

Old 07-07-2008, 04:50 PM

waxup is on a distinguished road
Not on the "0" key no, but on the back around the camera lens cover area. I'm sure you could just go out and by silver/metalic touch up paint.

Rosa Parks is my idol for I too refuse to get up out of my seat.

Old 07-07-2008, 05:15 PM

it will look a mess surely, touching it up.
it is just a small dot at the moment, i think it might get worse tho.

Its difficult to change the keypad isnt it.

Old 08-07-2008, 06:37 AM

davecozens is on a distinguished road
I had all the paint come off the centre button on the small keypad. Drove me nutty. And most of the other keys scratched too...

Replacing them is dead easy. Loads of ebay sellers flogging replacement N95 covers (which more often than not come with the keyboards too). Most of them supply the necessary screwdrivers too.

Only problem is the quality of most of these is exceptionally poor.

The first top keypad started to scratch off within a day. The second one had really bad rubber contacts with the actual switches on the main board. The actual case itself is equally scratchable. The original Nokia ones are more hardwearing than you might think.

To actually replace the top keypad the procedure is this: -
  1. Undo the 4 small screws on the back corners of the display slider.
  2. Carefully prize off the front cover by sliding something like a debit card along between the cover and the body (start at the corner).
  3. Lift off old keypad.
  4. Place on new keypad.
  5. Clip cover back on and do the screws back up.

So literally a 5 minute job. If you want to replace the front cover at the same time make sure you remove the speaker from the top of the case (behind the little mesh bit) and pop it in the new one.

Incidentally, if you want to replace the main keypad at the same time it's equally easy (well, maybe slightly more complex): -
  1. Remove battery cover (& battery - it'll just fall out anyway).
  2. Carefully remove the back cover (IMPORTANT NOTE: Can be a bugger to get back on flush so remove at own risk) - all you need to do here is pull the right hand side (without TV out) away from the phone. It'll get to a point where it just pops off. Then you can rotate it off around the TV out socket. It's held on with some sticky pads and some clips.
  3. Starting at the right hand side, gently pop up the keypad.
  4. Once again, slide something thin and plastic around the edge. Gently does it though, as it's held on with some tiny plastic clips and I wouldn't like to speculate as to how much abuse they can take. Once you've gone all the way around to the left hand side it'll literally lift out.
  5. Put the new keypad in, being careful to ensure all the little bits of rubber slide under the main phone body to make a seal. Clip it back down.
  6. Put the back cover back on (starting with the TV out side). If you're better at this then me, the sticky pads might still be sticky and everything will go down flush.

See. That was easy. And your phone looks all shiny again. Hoepfully it'll stay that way because you were lucky enough to get some good quality bits...

Have fun...

Old 08-07-2008, 09:09 AM
Super Moderator

kontraband is on a distinguished road
paints come of a lot of our N95's at work... mostly the green/red buttons tho...

Old 08-07-2008, 11:12 AM

davecozens thanks for your reply.

When you say top keypad and main keypad, which is which?

I am talking about the button 0, as in between * and # so is that the main keypad?

It sounds like if I take it off there is a chance it wont go back exactly the same...?

:(

Old 08-07-2008, 11:20 AM
Super Moderator

bartmanekul is on a distinguished road
I dont understand why the paint is on the outside. Its going to wear off.

What they have done with the 6220C, is have the paint underneath, so all your pressing on is clear plastic, not paint. That way its never going to wear off.

And yes, the 'main' keypad is the more difficult one to replace, the one with the numbered keys.

Old 07-11-2008, 05:55 PM

the 0 is gradually getting worse but i have a feeling if i try and replace the keypad overall the phone will be in worse conditiona and might not go back together correctly?

Its a shame because I have kept it in a clear case and leather pouch and hence apart from this is like brand new. Unfortunately the clear plastic cases still make you press the buttons themselves.

Old 08-11-2008, 12:28 PM

lp4u is on a distinguished road
my green and red buttons as well as the camera and volume buttons has already come off. a bit of the pen and c also is coming off. now its the turn of the 7 and * keys! my torx screws are distorted and i can't even replace those buttons

Old 08-11-2008, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lp4u View Post
my green and red buttons as well as the camera and volume buttons has already come off. a bit of the pen and c also is coming off. now its the turn of the 7 and * keys! my torx screws are distorted and i can't even replace those buttons
is it 8GB version? the red and green dont seem to be painted as such on 8gb or you referring to N95-1

Old 09-11-2008, 02:30 AM

lp4u is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liam548 View Post
is it 8GB version? the red and green dont seem to be painted as such on 8gb or you referring to N95-1
the first original one ie the N95-1

Old 09-11-2008, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lp4u View Post
the first original one ie the N95-1
that will explain it then on the 8gb model them buttons are not a problem at all and will not lose paint.

Old 23-01-2009, 04:43 PM

still coming off a bit. Also the top edge of number 7 is the same. Its a shame and I really do take care of my phones cant believe nokia havnt done something to prevent this.

Am i the only one this has happened to on n95 8gb?