All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 21-09-2004, 04:10 AM

WardXmodem is on a distinguished road
Question 6620: Syncing with Notes, (Address Book, calendar, todo) what about NOTES?

I'm trying to replace my Palm Pilot with my 6620 phone.

Plusses:

- only have to maintain one calendar - I like that, syncs nicely with Lotus Notes.

- The phone database is OK - but it doesn't transfer "the email address" from Notes to 6620?

Minuses:

- I can sync as subject says, my Notes Address book, calendar, and to-does, but the sync application greys out "Notes". To me notes are VERY important to me - I Jot down more detailed TODoes, lists of things (like train schedules, etc).

To have them in the phone - having to manually transfer them as files - seems a real chore - right now I can't even remember how I got the train schedule in it - I think I might have "beeped" it via infrared from my Palm Pilot (that I'm trying to wean myself from).

It is too bad that notes are somehow stored in some kind of single file (it seems?) so not too accessible via remote access...

- No ability to use "find" globally
- For example want to find someone at company "xyz" not look up a specific name - maybe I can't remember their name, but I know they work for "xyz". Easy on palm, impossible on 6620.

- Clipboard isn't global:
- get page (text message) with phone # for conf call they want me to attend. - highlight the phone # and cut, then create new phone entry and paste - nothing in the clipboard, didn't transfer from messaging application.

Thanks for all replies! I'm in your debt!

Ward "Xmodem & BBSs" Christensen

Old 22-09-2004, 02:37 AM

N/A is on a distinguished road
You may want to always use the latest version of Nokia PC Suite. The latest release that works with your phone is 6.3: http://www.nokia.com/pcsuite

If not the current one, perhaps a newer version will also sync "Notes". It may also depend on the "PIM" used (Lotus Notes, Lotus Organizer, Microsoft Outlook or Outlook Express).

With MS Outlook, the PC Suite synchronization does sync email addresses in contact records. Perhaps the mapping table - or however it is actually done - with Lotus Notes is different somehow (unfortunately it isn't editable by the user & I don't use Notes myself so I don't know).

If you use the "Contacts" app on the phone, and add a new field (detail) to the contact record with an email address (there is already a built-in default "E-mail" field for it), and then sync again, can you see where and if that field contents end up in Notes?

Also, just in case, in the PC Suite sync settings/properties on your PC, make sure you have "All Details" selected for synchronization, and not just "Name and Mobile Number" or "Name and All Numbers".

Note also that in the "Advanced" properties you can also influence the sync behaviour in a couple of different ways:
- Whether sync happens automatically, periodically when connected or only manually.
- Who "wins" in conflict situations (edits made on the phone or edits made on the PC)
- Whether syncing is done in both directions or only one (only from phone to PC or vice versa)

The missing "global find" is, indeed, something that would be useful. For contacts, though, a little bit of help can be the LookUp application from Symbian. Whereas the built-in Contacts app searches by name only, LookUp allows you also to search by number:
http://www.symbian.com/developer/tec...ps/lookup.html

Perhaps you could take the LookUp sources as your "first programming project" for your phone, and create a "global find" version of it.

Also, the "clipboard" (which you can access after you have selected text by pressing and keeping pressed down the "pencil" key - the only operation that really requires two hands on Series 60 phones) should be and is to my experience global.

However, I just tried that with a text message (SMS) as follows:
- Launced "Messaging" app and created a new message, type in a phone number in the message body and sent it to myself
- Opened the received message
- Hit "Options", selected "Find" and then in the submenu "Phone number"
- With the number highlighted, hit "Options" and then selected "Copy"
- Launched "Contacts" app and hit "Options", selected "New contact"
- Navigated to a phone number field (like "Telephone:") and then pressed and kept down the "pencil" key and the "Paste" option didn't appear.

If you stay in the "Messaging" app, then you can do "pencil" + "Paste" into a new message body or the "To:" field, but it, ideed, doesn't seem to carry over to other apps in this case. So, it seems that you've found a clipboard bug - or feature - with Contacts. This is something for Nokia to fix, I'd say.

Anyway, to solve this particular problem, besides trying the "Copy" above, if you want to just add the number to a new or existing contact, you can simply choose "Add to Contacts" from the Options menu instead.
Ads

Old 22-09-2004, 05:39 AM

WardXmodem is on a distinguished road
Synchronizing, searching, etc 6620

> You may want to always use the latest version of Nokia PC Suite. The latest release that works with your phone is 6.3: http://www.nokia.com/pcsuite

I go there, it says to pick your phone, but the 6620 isn't listed! Yet my 6620 came with 6.2.18, so 6.3 would be newer!

If not the current one, perhaps a newer version will also sync "Notes". It may also depend on the "PIM" used (Lotus Notes, Lotus Organizer, Microsoft Outlook or Outlook Express).

OOPS, I'm an id-10-T - I meant "memos" - Lotus Notes synchronizes contacts, calendar, and to-do but not "memopads" (Notes)..

I am asking for all data to be "sunk", and Lotus Notes only syncs contacts, calendar, and to-does. It does not synchronize the (memopad) notes from the phone...

> The missing "global find" is, indeed, something that would be useful. For contacts, though, a little bit of help can be the LookUp application from Symbian. Whereas the built-in Contacts app searches by name only, LookUp allows you also to search by number:
http://www.symbian.com/developer/tec...ps/lookup.html

> Perhaps you could take the LookUp sources as your "first programming project" for your phone, and create a "global find" version of it.

Interesting! If I have the source do you have a reco on the programming tools? Actually lets put that in my other thread which has title "Hobbyist" something - programming of the 6620..

I was able to make my conf call from a message, by using the multi-application capability - open the note, memorize the ph #, open the phone, dial it, go back to the message, get the passcode, go back, by then the thing had gotten tired of me not entering it, heh. Tried again and made it this time...

I'll digest your other replies later, staying up too late, haha...

VV

Old 22-09-2004, 06:14 PM

You can get the correct, latest PC Suite from http://www.nokia.com/pcsuite also by selecting the 7610, if the 6620 isn't for some reason listed.

It might be missing because in general for US market operators are not including the PC Suite in phone sales packages (I don't know why, because I find it useful), and the 6620 is only sold in North America.

Old 27-09-2004, 02:37 PM

Addendum: The 6620 is listed on http://www.nokiausa.com/pcsuite

In any case, whatever's the latest PC Suite release (6.3 today) on either nokia.com/pcsuite or nokiausa.com/pcsuite can be used with the 6620.

Old 28-09-2004, 09:36 PM
Aien

6620 Sync problem for multiple phone numbers

I can't find the latest PC suite either (6.3). Where is it?
I have problem synchronizing the phone with Outlook Contacts when I have multiple phone numbers for an entry on the phone. For example, entry "ABC" has 6 mobile phone numbers after I added those in from the phone keypad. When I sync with PC suite, not all the phone numbers gets stored in Outlook Contacts. Normally, additional unmapped fields should be automatically added to the "User defined field" in Outlook Contacts (Nokia 3650 PC suite does). Anyone knows how to solve this problem? Maybe the new version of PC suite can do it?
Thanks a lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by N/A
Addendum: The 6620 is listed on http://www.nokiausa.com/pcsuite

In any case, whatever's the latest PC Suite release (6.3 today) on either nokia.com/pcsuite or nokiausa.com/pcsuite can be used with the 6620.

Old 29-09-2004, 06:25 PM

Just go to http://www.nokia.com/pcsuite and in the "Select phone" list pick, e.g., 7610 and hit "GO".

The nokiausa.com/pcsuite pages seems to only have 6.2 for some reason.