All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 27-10-2003, 11:12 AM

JulesG is on a distinguished road
Question P800 -> P900 data restore

Hey, Bassey and GhostDog mention here upgrading your P800 to P900.

This is quite a valid point, anyone know if SE have provided a mechanism for P800 users to seamlessley upgrade data to the P900?

I assume that the majority of s/w (Handy Day, Opera etc) will work work on either device, and could be re-installed from the original .sis, but it would certainly be easier to "restore" a prior backup onto the new phone.

er ... remind me of the topic again?

Old 27-10-2003, 02:53 PM

Delta737 is on a distinguished road
I've asked myself the same thing!!!! I hope SE will include a special app to restore a P800 to a P900.... But I doubt this. I guess we'll have to wait and see...

Old 28-10-2003, 07:21 AM

hAnDyGUY is on a distinguished road
I believe all your stuff installed on the memory card would work on P900, u don't even need to backup and restore, just remove it from P800, install it in your BRAND NEW P900 then all ur software will work on your BRAND NEW P900 (I really love saying that )

Old 28-10-2003, 07:27 PM

loko__loko is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally posted by hAnDyGUY
I believe all your stuff installed on the memory card would work on P900, u don't even need to backup and restore, just remove it from P800, install it in your BRAND NEW P900 then all ur software will work on your BRAND NEW P900 (I really love saying that )
we need to transfer the .ini files found inside the P800 to make the sw run on P900

best solution is to extract the P800's C:\System\Data\Contacts.cdb and paste to P900's C:\System\Data\Contacts.cdb

beam jotter, tasks... calender? have to figure out this.. outlook perhaps

other sw shld be re-installed

Old 03-11-2003, 07:51 AM

pnyxter is on a distinguished road
I had no problem with the upgrade. I had no special applications installed on my P800 that I didn't have a SIS file for. I just uninstalled the P800 software from my computer and reinstalled it with the new software from the P900, synced it with Outlook and of we went on a brand new adventure...

There is a function in the "Backup and Restore" software for the P900 that allows you to import backups either from file or from a different phone, but I haven't tried it with the P800 -> P900...

Old 03-11-2003, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by pnyxter
... There is a function in the "Backup and Restore" software for the P900 that allows you to import backups either from file or from a different phone, but I haven't tried it with the P800 -> P900...
That at least sounds optimistic!

Old 03-11-2003, 09:55 AM
Administrator

J2theIZZO has much to be proud ofJ2theIZZO has much to be proud ofJ2theIZZO has much to be proud ofJ2theIZZO has much to be proud ofJ2theIZZO has much to be proud ofJ2theIZZO has much to be proud ofJ2theIZZO has much to be proud ofJ2theIZZO has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally posted by hAnDyGUY
Erm....will that work?...what with it being a different IMEI and all?

Old 03-11-2003, 05:23 PM
Super Moderator

GhostDog will become famous soon enough
It should work,the apps will be revereted back to demo or trial version(i think).

Please don't PM me with something that belongs in the forums.Search first,then ask.

Old 03-11-2003, 07:12 PM
Administrator

J2theIZZO has much to be proud ofJ2theIZZO has much to be proud ofJ2theIZZO has much to be proud ofJ2theIZZO has much to be proud ofJ2theIZZO has much to be proud ofJ2theIZZO has much to be proud ofJ2theIZZO has much to be proud ofJ2theIZZO has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally posted by GhostDog
It should work,the apps will be revereted back to demo or trial version(i think).
That's what I mean.

Old 04-11-2003, 09:37 AM

Depends on the app; when I got a new [P800] handset to replace a broken one, I swapped in the old DUO and did a restore on C: for my "core" apps (Handy Day, Opera etc).

Everything worked fine, even though I have a new IMEI.

Guess some s/w use the IMEI, but I seem to remember a thread on this from springtime, didn't most authors supply a new ID by email?

Old 09-11-2003, 08:25 AM

hAnDyGUY is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally posted by loko__loko
we need to transfer the .ini files found inside the P800 to make the sw run on P900
best solution is to extract the P800's C:\System\Data\Contacts.cdb and paste to P900's C:\System\Data\Contacts.cdb
beam jotter, tasks... calender? have to figure out this.. outlook perhaps
other sw shld be re-installed
don't think u need to transfer .ini files, as long as the software is already installed on the MSD, then it'll work properly, and it'll create a new .ini file of the C drive at the first time it runs on the new phone.

Quote:
]Originally posted by J2theIZZO
Erm....will that work?...what with it being a different IMEI and all?
all s/n once entered they won't ask for it again, even if u insert the MSD into another phone, but there might b some softwares that still checks your IMEI every time it logs in, anyway guess if u've bought ur softwares from the main developer it's still easier to get an upgrade from them than from Handango or other dealer! (that's in case u need a new s/n)

Old 13-11-2003, 02:05 PM

ST@RR is on a distinguished road
How do you transfer the contacts of the P800 to the P900? Everything else you can just sync it with outlook anyway, even the contacts, but my contacts are all arranged so perfectly into separate categories.. Is it possible really to just copy the contacts database?

Old 13-11-2003, 05:17 PM
Super Moderator

GhostDog will become famous soon enough
What about sending them as vCard?

Please don't PM me with something that belongs in the forums.Search first,then ask.

Old 14-11-2003, 04:17 PM

The Mus is on a distinguished road
damn I was just reading what everyone wrote, but I am confused! How do you transfer everything on your P800 to your P900?

Do all the application need to be installed on the P900 from scratch?

Old 15-11-2003, 01:41 AM

Accela is on a distinguished road
My opinion is, not all because some applications are not compatible.. Best if reinstall em. I got all my contacts on Outlook anyways, so no prob.