All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 04-05-2009, 09:34 PM

ceanth is on a distinguished road
A few questions about the 5800 before i decide whether to buy one

Hi all,

I am still debating whether to get the 5800 but i really fancy the chance from my E90. So my questions are:

1. Email. How does the new Nokia Messanging client work on the 5800? On my E90 I have two unread emails on my active standby and it also shows me how many unread emails i have as well. The client for me shows HTML emails but its sometimes impossible to click links. Whats the email experience like on the 5800?

2. Turn my Turn Navigation. I have been told (or read somewhere) that the Nokia Maps adaptation on the 5800 isnt very good until 3.0 comes out. Whats the Nokia Maps experience like? Are there any alternatives which work on the 5800? (ideally free!). I drive a company car which doesnt always have a sat nav so turn by turn nagivation is quite important for me!

3. Web Experience. I think ive asked this question before but i wanted to throw it back out there. I know that there is a new firmware so has that greatly improved the web experience? Also with a touch screen, it is difficult to select links as there is no physical d pad? My E90 browser is very slow and clunky so i use Opera mini which doesnt support flash.

4. Media key and notification light. Can the media key shortcuts be edited? For example to bring up Nokia Maps or a file manager? Also there is a notification LED for new messages/miss calls etc, where is that physically on the device? Does this notification led intergrate with the new messaging client?

I use my E90 for Emails, turn by turn navigation. I use google reader and browse the internet alot on it. I also use my motorola S9 headset while at the Gym so A2DP is a must! The E90 is a great phone but its very big and quite old now so im looking for a cheap ish replacement. The N97 was my original choice but the 5800 seems like it can do pretty much everything i need a phone to do and is quite cheap.

c

Last edited by ceanth; 04-05-2009 at 09:36 PM. Reason: needed to add something else.
Ads