All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 02-06-2010, 11:48 AM
Ye Olde Administratorium

Ewan is a splendid one to beholdEwan is a splendid one to beholdEwan is a splendid one to beholdEwan is a splendid one to beholdEwan is a splendid one to beholdEwan is a splendid one to behold
AT&T dropping unlimited data plans. Who will follow?

Keep a close on your network’s data plans over the next year, as the long expected reduction in “all you can eat” data plans has started. US network AT&T is dropping support for the unlimited plans and moving to a 200MB or 2GB choice of data for users. With network congestion in popular spots, how these bottlenecks are dealt with is going to be an interesting topic in going forward to 2011.

Read on in the full article.

Old 02-06-2010, 12:39 PM
Chris Vee

Lightbulb What WOULD I do?

Well,

Seems that AT&T has decided upon being a pain to everyone.

So why not reciprocate?

If you are an existing customer, try to leave, if that is indeed a viable option. In most cases across USA it tends not to.

Also if you are a new customer who joined AT&T recently with the unlimited internet package, LEAVE on the basis that the contract terms were fiddled with and you are not happy with it.

All in all, it is catastrophic move by the network. This will affect the iPhone users the most if I'm not wrong, cause that device eats data like nothing else.

Anywho, heres hoping that similar things do not take place in the UK.

Having said that, the "unlimited" plans on most networks are limited to 1 Gb anyways.

So if anything a true unlimited package is what UK consumers will be crying out for. Or at the very least bigger allowances.

Old 02-06-2010, 01:06 PM
Unregistered

The last line of the first paragraph says "Current smartphone customers are not required to switch to the new plans, but can choose to do so without a contract extension"

I don't see this as a removal of unlimited, it is just adding different plan options.

Old 02-06-2010, 02:09 PM
Unregistered

In a particularly busy month I get through about 20MB of network data. There is just wifi available everywhere,.
Ads

Old 02-06-2010, 02:44 PM

Dazzy is on a distinguished road
Most if not all UK networks are moving to 500mb allowance

Old 02-06-2010, 04:07 PM

bitflung is on a distinguished road
monthly data consumption

huh - @ Unregistered, you only use 20MB per month on a busy month??

i'm around wifi all day (at work) and all night (at home) but i still manage to eat up around 250MB per month typically, peaking around 500MB for normal usage on a busy month and more than 1GB if i'm working remotely via my 3G connection (vpn tunnel through 3G into my office, running remote X apps on my Mac and transferring large files for local analysis via scp).

My data consumption was like this back on AT&T with my Nokia N95 and N97; and it is still like this on T-Mobile with my N900.

what sort of monthly consumption rates are others actually seeing? iphone users, i'm looking at you. also, can someone please tell me what sort of bandwidth they actually SEE on their iphones? i goto sites like http://i.dslr.net/tinyspeedtest.html and routinely get greater than 2mbps; but the site (meant for iphone users) claims average speeds under 800kbps. do iphone users really see this sort of crappy bandwidth? i know at&t can push over 2mbps, since i routinely got over 2mbps on my N97 with them, so what gives?

-bit

Old 02-06-2010, 04:55 PM
Unregistered

I see it as a good thing. It helps people to moderate their usage and will allow choice and reduced cost. I hope it will eventually lead to reasonable pre-paid data plans. Reasonable prep-paid data and voice leads to freedom from contracts. I think the rates are reasonable and I am glad they are coming.

Old 02-06-2010, 05:10 PM
David J Moore

2gb does seem tight

For mobile device uses 2gb is sufficient based on my usage however I am using 3G HSPDA also as a 'replacement for broadband'!

1 - E90/N95 - quotas 2gb/month, incl 40 hours of mobile TV - in practice this involves the occasional mobile TV 1hr/month max, < 20-30mb data for emails/web/application downloading (infrequent)

2 - B970 WLAN router, this has 14gb quota and is used for the notebooks, PS3 and E90 can be theory use this also. Typical <5gb-6gb month.

Old 02-06-2010, 08:02 PM

snipboy is on a distinguished road
I am not happy about it at all. Will the older plans be grandfathered in? So, if you had a MediaNet plan for "feature" phones, you will still be unlimited?

Also, what is a good app for measuring data usage for the N95-3?

Old 03-06-2010, 02:24 AM
Unregistered

Swing and a miss.

What you failed to mention is that companies such as Google, Yahoo, MSN with Bing, all dump their traffic to the Internet without caring if it is accessed via DSL, wifi, or mobile GSM data. There is only so much back-haul capacity. While it is usually fair to assume that the operators are trying to screw you over, they need to start charging Google and the likes for using their networks as data dumping grounds.

Old 03-06-2010, 04:39 AM

malerocks is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by snipboy View Post
Also, what is a good app for measuring data usage for the N95-3?
Try this - http://code.google.com/p/dataquota/

Old 03-06-2010, 07:09 AM
Unregistered

All good news for Opera Mini.

Old 04-06-2010, 08:27 PM
Unregistered

That's strange. I thought it was going the other way.

Three recently started increasing their fair use limits (1GB to 2 GB for 5)

I've been using giffgaff and they are now offering Genuine Unlimited Internet on their PayG sims (on phone use only, no tethering).

For unlimited internet, you need to spend 10 for a 30 day goodybag (you also get a 100 mins + unlimited text for that). 8ppm after that. Pretty good deal if you meat the profile...

If you want a giffgaff sim, you can go over to www.giffgaff.com. Or for an extra 5 free credit and more, checkout www.sim-shop.co.uk (my site).

Zuber

Old 04-06-2010, 09:10 PM

Jowls is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ewan View Post
...US network AT&T is dropping support for the unlimited plans and moving to a 200MB or 2GB choice of data for users...
I think it is important to remember that while the US is the forerunner in many other ways, they are lagging way behind Europe when it comes to mobile communication. The market is tightly controlled by a few large carriers who - in many areas - has divided the country between them so theres no real choice for the consumers. This, in combination with the americans notorious fear of any kind of governmental oversight of businesses, has resulted in a situation reminiscent of the time of the large european monopolies. In other words when we look at the US we are not looking at the future - we are looking at the past.

Old 18-06-2010, 03:43 AM
Unregistered

MOV Converter for Mac is specially designed for Mac OS X users which can convert various video and audio formats to MOV with just a few clicks, including avi, flv, 3gp, mp4, mpg, 3gp, mov, m4v, ts, tp, trp, mts, m2ts, tp, mkv, mod, asf, mp3, mka, wav, wma, mp2, jpg, bmp, ect.
In addition, you can customize watermark at will, such as set image watermark, text watermark, ect.
Category:
AVI to MOV Converter for Mac
FLV to MOV Converter for Mac
DIVX to MOV Converter for Mac
DVD to MOV Converter for Mac
MP4 to MOV Converter for Mac
M4V to VOB Converter for Mac
MPG to MOV Converter for Mac
WMV to MOV Converter for Mac
VOB to MOV Converter for Mac