All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 08-03-2010, 09:57 PM

jamiepgs is on a distinguished road
'Clean' Symbian?

I recently bought a Nokia 5530 on T-Mobile and was amazed at the amount of rubbish they pack into it. I was just wondering if it's possible to 'clean' symbian to a point where only the necessary stuff is there? Either within Symbian or through some application or utility of some sort.

The main reason being is because it keeps sending and receiving messages to/from advertising companies which is draining my credit and also very annoying. I've tried uninstalling the bundled stuff but it just keeps saying that the installer is already in use, even after turning the phone on and off again.

Thanks

Also, on an unrelated side note, will Nokia+Symbian be offering ^3 to older models, such as the 5800, 5530 etc. or will it only be going on newer phones?

EDIT: After trawling through some older threads I found my answer, performed a deep format by pressing *#7370# also formatted the memory card as I figured a lot of the preloaded stuff was on there. Would still like to know about ^3 though.

Last edited by jamiepgs; 08-03-2010 at 10:43 PM.

Old 08-03-2010, 11:35 PM

RogerPodacter is on a distinguished road
its called debranding your phone, and its highly recommended. debranding removes all the carrier crap and restores the phone to the generic state from the manufacturer. its always recommended to debrand IMO.

Old 09-03-2010, 06:13 AM

N/A is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiepgs View Post
Also, on an unrelated side note, will Nokia+Symbian be offering ^3 to older models, such as the 5800, 5530 etc. or will it only be going on newer phones?
If past history is any indication, it is extremely unlikely that Nokia will offer Symbian^3 for any older devices. Always in the past, a new Symbian/S60 version has been made available only with new models.
Ads

Old 09-03-2010, 01:50 PM

NocturnalOne is on a distinguished road
Yes, I'm also not very optimisitic about that. Perhaps if ^3 is just a thin shell around S60 just like Motoblur then it's possible. Personally I think the problem with Symbian isn't so much the OS but the applications. If you put a fancy shell around the messaging app will it still crash when you're reading email? Yes. If you put a fancy shell around the music player will it still corrupt its database files? Sure. Not to mention the shell won't fix different touch UIs implemented by the apps.