All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 01-03-2009, 10:34 AM

get.nathan is on a distinguished road
22 million users nokia wont speak too....

mac users.

why doesn't nokia make software for apple products? this is really stupid and frustrating. the i-phone works well with pc's.

i'm thinking the i-phone may be quite a lot better...

nokia, sort it out - it can't be that hard, surely....

Old 02-03-2009, 11:50 AM

matchstick is on a distinguished road
I used my 5800 with my Mac book pretty successfully.

There's an iSync plug-in available from here http://europe.nokia.com/A4299040

Apart from that I could transfer files over via BT or USB Mass Storage.

And the BT sync certainly allowed access to the phone as a BT modem and I think it supported BT PAN access as well.

There also Nokia Multimedia Transfer http://europe.nokia.com/A4423134 which says it works with the 5800 but personally I prefer moving files manually via USB (that way i know exactly what's gone where) so I haven't tried it.

That seems to be a moderately complete set of Mac tools.

Old 02-03-2009, 11:55 AM

nitro fan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by get.nathan View Post
mac users.

why doesn't nokia make software for apple products? this is really stupid and frustrating. the i-phone works well with pc's.

i'm thinking the i-phone may be quite a lot better...

nokia, sort it out - it can't be that hard, surely....

Perhaps Nokia feel that there is little point in trying to assist those who decision making process is already flawed? OMG I know I am going to get flamed to hell for this

Old 02-03-2009, 12:00 PM

waxup is on a distinguished road
I agree with you Nitro.

Every Mac user I know already has the IPhone, Ipod Touch and an Ipod Nano in their inventory so why would they even buy a Nokia product in the first place?

Rosa Parks is my idol for I too refuse to get up out of my seat.

Old 02-03-2009, 12:43 PM

iPhone... lovely UI, but almost everything else ballsed up (usually by Apple's obsession with controlling everything that the user can do with the phone)

I like OSX alot but I won't touch the Iphone until Apple let me connect it to the network I want, on the price plan I want and install and run the software I want.

I don't want much
Ads

Old 03-03-2009, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matchstick View Post
iPhone... lovely UI, but almost everything else ballsed up (usually by Apple's obsession with controlling everything that the user can do with the phone)

I like OSX alot but I won't touch the Iphone until Apple let me connect it to the network I want, on the price plan I want and install and run the software I want.

I don't want much
I have three mates in Sweden all of whom had been Sony Ericsson smart phone users for years, that switched to the iPhone 2.3G! when it arrived in Sweden none of them is extending their contracts this time round... nuf said?

Old 03-03-2009, 01:27 PM

N/A is on a distinguished road
Quote:
22 million users nokia wont speak too....
Nokia is also not writing Windows Mobile software for ~40 million Windows Mobile users, nor x million Palm users nor y million Blackberry users.

Nokia also has its own ~200 million S60 device users, and ~1 billion Nokia phone users in general.

Old 03-03-2009, 03:39 PM

slanbarn is on a distinguished road
Well, you could easily fire up Sun xVM(VirtualBox) or some other virtuallization software for OSX and run a windows instance, as I do since im on Linux.. Not very often tho I have to do something other then mass-storage...

Old 03-03-2009, 11:34 PM

get.nathan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by matchstick View Post
I used my 5800 with my Mac book pretty successfully.

There's an iSync plug-in available from here http://europe.nokia.com/A4299040

Apart from that I could transfer files over via BT or USB Mass Storage.

And the BT sync certainly allowed access to the phone as a BT modem and I think it supported BT PAN access as well.

There also Nokia Multimedia Transfer http://europe.nokia.com/A4423134 which says it works with the 5800 but personally I prefer moving files manually via USB (that way i know exactly what's gone where) so I haven't tried it.

That seems to be a moderately complete set of Mac tools.

hey thanks for the info, you're right that is a ok set of tools for the mac...i thin the thing the REALLY frustrates me, is not being able to do firmware updates via a mac - do you know of a way...?

and you others....some pretty funny observations - i never understand why people are always so 'x is better than y'..... different strokes, different folks. i use pc's and mac's all the time. they are tools. useful. that is all.....i think the i-phone coming out has made other companies release better phones sooner, so that's gotta be a good thing for everyone, right? (there sure seems to be a bit of copying going on - a bit like early windows....and old mac's) i do think it's pretty silly how nokia doesn't do more for mac user's though - i'll check out those links....cheers

Old 04-03-2009, 10:40 AM

Quote:
hey thanks for the info, you're right that is a ok set of tools for the mac...i thin the thing the REALLY frustrates me, is not being able to do firmware updates via a mac - do you know of a way...?

and you others....some pretty funny observations - i never understand why people are always so 'x is better than y'..... different strokes, different folks. i use pc's and mac's all the time. they are tools. useful. that is all.....i think the i-phone coming out has made other companies release better phones sooner, so that's gotta be a good thing for everyone, right? (there sure seems to be a bit of copying going on - a bit like early windows....and old mac's) i do think it's pretty silly how nokia doesn't do more for mac user's though - i'll check out those links....cheers
For me its just the whole Apple evangelist thing and the fact that Job's is such an utter Kno**er!

Plus I regularly use openSUSE & Windows and occasionally Apple but I just find Apple so dictatorial in its whole approach to anything, Plus SOME Apple fans are such good entertainment value when gently prodded!.

Old 04-03-2009, 11:10 AM

You have to give credit to Apple that they have significantly raised the bar for UIs on both Desktop and Mobile devices.

Whether that's enough to make up for the expensive hardware and (sometimes severe) restrictions Apple place on how their devices can be used is another matter though.