All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 05-05-2009, 09:21 PM

klelia is on a distinguished road
n95- problem with the text messages inbox et al

Hi there!
I use a Nokia N95 V12.0.0.013 RM-159. Suddenly and after nothing strange had happened (it wasn't dropped down or in the water, I just opened it in the morning-last evening it was ok), I faced problems when opening the text messages inbox. The phone did not respond. It seemed like it was trying to load the text message inbox but it finally could not load it and remained on the main screen (trying to load the sms inbox through the menu- and not the shortcut on the main screen had the same result as well). I run into the same behaviour when trying to open the Camera and other things such as Notes, or Voice recorder. If someone sends me a message they get the delivery receipt, though I have no incoming sms (and of course cannot open my inbox as well). I can make and receive calls with no problem at all, though if I have a missed call, I cannot see it on the main phone screen. I have to navigate through the menu to the calls section and there I will be able to find it. I also can see my Contacts with no problem, when choosing “Create sms” from a specific contact’s options menu, I have the same problem again.
You may find helpful the thing that the text messages are stored on the phone’s memory card and when I tried to check the status of the phone’s memory card, I could see the kbs that the text messages reserve (so it seems they are actually there).
Things I have already tried and did not work: Shut down and open again the phone, removed battery, removed sim card, removed memory card. I connected the phone to my pc using the usb cable and could still not see the sms inbox. It seemed like it was empty.
Could you please help me on that? What should I do?
Thanks in advance!
k.

Old 06-05-2009, 06:20 AM

Micky! is on a distinguished road
I would strongly recommend you upgrade your N95's firmware. Your running a very old version which has known bugs.

Old 06-05-2009, 07:06 AM

Could please describe to me how should i do that? And what exactly would it mean? I would loose everything i have on the phone's memory?

Thanks a lot!
Ads

Old 06-05-2009, 07:13 AM

Micky! is on a distinguished road
Where are you located?

First, you would have to backup your phone, I would recommend you saving all your contacts to sim prior to upgrading. The N95 never got given UDP (User Data preservation), so backing up is a must.

You will then need the latest version of Nokia Software updater..

http://europe.nokia.com/softwareupdate

You can use "Content Copier" which is built into the latest version of PC Suite, which is available here...

http://europe.nokia.com/pcsuite

Old 06-05-2009, 07:22 AM

I am in Greece (so i guess the europe site you gave me is ok)...
I will try it and let you know the result...Just out of curiosity have you ever heard of such a problem again? Do you think that the firmware's upgrade will solve my problem?

Old 06-05-2009, 09:02 AM

erehman is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by klelia View Post
Hi there!
I use a Nokia N95 V12.0.0.013 RM-159. Suddenly and after nothing strange had happened (it wasn't dropped down or in the water, I just opened it in the morning-last evening it was ok), I faced problems when opening the text messages inbox. The phone did not respond. It seemed like it was trying to load the text message inbox but it finally could not load it and remained on the main screen (trying to load the sms inbox through the menu- and not the shortcut on the main screen had the same result as well). I run into the same behaviour when trying to open the Camera and other things such as Notes, or Voice recorder. If someone sends me a message they get the delivery receipt, though I have no incoming sms (and of course cannot open my inbox as well). I can make and receive calls with no problem at all, though if I have a missed call, I cannot see it on the main phone screen. I have to navigate through the menu to the calls section and there I will be able to find it. I also can see my Contacts with no problem, when choosing “Create sms” from a specific contact’s options menu, I have the same problem again.
You may find helpful the thing that the text messages are stored on the phone’s memory card and when I tried to check the status of the phone’s memory card, I could see the kbs that the text messages reserve (so it seems they are actually there).
Things I have already tried and did not work: Shut down and open again the phone, removed battery, removed sim card, removed memory card. I connected the phone to my pc using the usb cable and could still not see the sms inbox. It seemed like it was empty.
Could you please help me on that? What should I do?
Thanks in advance!
k.
I think this may be due to some sort of minor conflict with some software. I recommend you to reset your phone to factory settings by typing *#7780# and when phone asks for pin code, enter 12345 or whatever pin code you already set yourself.
In case if this doesn't solve your problem then I think you need to perform hard formatting by typing *#7370# and upon asking pin code, you enter the code 12345 or whatever pin code you set. Though your firmware is not the latest, but it has nothing to do with your problem.
This will definitely solve your problem.
Cheers

Last edited by erehman; 06-05-2009 at 09:07 AM.

Old 06-05-2009, 08:37 PM

Thumbs up

Thanks erehman!

Using the *#7780# solved my problem!