All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > Symbian Based Devices > S60 (Series 60) > Nokia N95 and N95 8GB

Old 30-11-2007, 11:48 AM

3Shirts is on a distinguished road
Phone Handset HOW TO: Change your product code (and why you might want to)

Why would you want to do this?

When new firmware is released, Nokia will only release the vanilla, or un-branded, firmware. This means that only unbranded (non-network specific) phones will 'see' it when running the update tool.
The firmware goes to the networks who modify it by adding their logos or themes (and in many cases disabling certain apps ) so that is why it often takes weeks for the network specific version of firmware to roll out. Changing your product code allows you to 'fool' the updater into thinking you have an un-branded phone and thus get the update sooner, without all the memory sapping themes and crap and with all the apps intact.

Is there a risk of damage?

No. There is a small risk associated with updating firmware but changing your product code does not add any additonal risk.

Does this harm my warranty?

If your phone is still within the manufacturer's one year warranty (or any extended warranty) this will void it. However, many of us on this forum have changed the product code and subsequently had the phone repaired at a service center under warranty. There is a risk they may discover you have done this and refuse to do the work under warranty but the risk is very small. There is also the moral question, but that is up to you!

Ok, I'm cool with all that, how do we do this?

To change product code you need Nemesis Service Suite (NSS): http://www.b-phreaks.co.uk/software.htm#downloads
  1. Install NSS and, while installing, accept the default for 'Virtual USB'.
  2. Once installed, connect your N95 to the computer by usb cable.
  3. Run NSS
  4. It wil be pretty blank at this point. Hit the magnifying glass to search for devices

5. Once that is done (a couple of seconds) click on the Phone Info button and then, on the right hand side, click Read

6. You will now see your product code which is a 7 digit number. If you plan to change this back after flashing then make a note of the current code (this is probably wise to do anyway although it is written under the battery in the back of the phone).
  7. Take a look at this thread and choose a product code you want to use (remember the codes for the N95 'classic' are different to the 8Gb). The code for EURO 1 is generally recommended for the classic N95. Obviously you don't want an operator specific code!
  8. Delete the current code and type in the new one in the Product Code box in NSS. Tick Enable and then press Write
  9. That is all there is to changing your product code. Easy huh?

Now you just need to update. There is a guide to that on the way

One you have updated you can, if you wish, change your product code back again by repeating this process and writing the old code.

Last edited by 3Shirts; 30-11-2007 at 02:29 PM.

Old 30-11-2007, 11:57 AM

evilweasel is on a distinguished road
....should be a sticky maybe ?

Old 30-11-2007, 11:59 AM

Matt.C is on a distinguished road
Top post. Should save a few repeats. Defo a sticky i think.

Old 30-11-2007, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt.C View Post
Should save a few repeats
That's what I'm hoping but who knows

Old 30-11-2007, 12:01 PM
Super Moderator

bartmanekul is on a distinguished road
Dont forget to add rep.

Old 30-11-2007, 12:49 PM

chrsfrwll is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt.C View Post
Should save a few repeats.
Ha ha. You are kidding, right? Since when has anyone actually read previous posts when seeking information?

(Top post by the way 3Shirts)

Old 30-11-2007, 02:07 PM

andykn is on a distinguished road
Another good one.

I'd add that, when you install NSS accept the default for 'Virtual USB'.

And the phone's original Product Code can be read from the label on the back under the battery.

Old 30-11-2007, 02:07 PM

bigbadnewill is on a distinguished road
Hey, how do i change the product code of my new n95-8gb then??

Only joking, cracking guide my friend. Maybe one day the world will realise that there is a search button!

Old 30-11-2007, 02:18 PM

Dogmann is on a distinguished road
@3Shirts

Very nicely done and also nice of you to take the time and trouble as this is easily the best and easiest guide to follow i have seen. Hopefully it will be a sticky and stop people having to ask how to do it repeatedly.

Marc
Ads

Old 30-11-2007, 02:22 PM

HoundDog is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by andykn View Post
I'll second that, it took me quite a bit of SEARCHING to work that out the first time I installed it.

Old 30-11-2007, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andykn View Post
Thanks, good advice. That's been added.

Last edited by 3Shirts; 30-11-2007 at 04:45 PM.

Old 30-11-2007, 04:45 PM

Ok I don't mean to sound ungrateful but the sticky topic which uses my guide has been altered slightly, is missing the recent edits, my screenies are gone and there is no credit to me :(

Old 30-11-2007, 05:24 PM
Super Moderator

stuclark is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Shirts View Post
Ok I don't mean to sound ungrateful but the sticky topic which uses my guide has been altered slightly, is missing the recent edits, my screenies are gone and there is no credit to me :(
Your post is quite different from the one I posted, and while I'll admit it's something I've been meaning to post for a while, it's more luck than anything else that I had the time to do it today. You'll notice I placed a lot more emphasis on what the product code is and does, as this being a public website, and me being an admin on this site, I need to make sure that what's being posted is accurate and doesn't infringe on any rules / laws etc.

Old 06-12-2007, 04:55 PM

pac3 is on a distinguished road
Just curious but:
is it as simple as it seems
is it legal
can nokia find out
It seems too good to be true. I really want to upgrade my firmware.

Old 06-12-2007, 05:05 PM

chrsfrwll is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by pac3 View Post
Just curious but:
is it as simple as it seems
is it legal
can nokia find out
It seems too good to be true. I really want to upgrade my firmware.
Yes, presumably yes, and don't see how unless you take the phone to a nokia repair shop but as has been said elsewhere they don't seem to care. It really is as easy as it seems, and takes seconds once the software is on your pc.