All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 01-10-2008, 10:28 AM

nuttyphilt is on a distinguished road
E71 - weather apps

Hi,

I'm looking for a weather app that'll display the forecast on the home screen - does such a thing exist? Something like SPB Weather would be perfect...

Thanks.

Old 01-10-2008, 02:07 PM

Ammar_Dento is on a distinguished road
Wait for this its coming soon.
There is an application developed by Epocware called Handy Shell but it still in beta which replace the entire Active standby and place a plug in for Handy Weather application..the best weather application...this will cost you...i think Handy Weather for 25$ and Handy Shell not known yet.

If u need an application just to check the weather (not on Active Standby) go for Micro Weather (Free but simple) or Foreca Forecast.

Old 01-10-2008, 11:51 PM

Jer is on a distinguished road
I too have been interested in something like this.

Old 02-10-2008, 12:20 PM

Publicglutton is on a distinguished road
Handy Weather is the app I have just installed & It is an excellent weather app ,
It does cost 8.15 or $14 for 1 years subscription which is very fairly priced I think.
It gives you a 5 day forcast in graph format , current conditions ie:temp, wind , pressure & visibility all with little weather icons .
This is a brilliant little weather application , try it

It's in the all about symbian shop here :

http://www.handango.com/ampp/store/P...opSectionId=-1

Old 02-10-2008, 12:40 PM

nuttyphilt is on a distinguished road
I found a free one called Mobile Weather, info here:
http://www.thenokiaguide.com/my_webl...-weather-.html

It's fairly basic but it does a good job. It doesn't display on the home screen but can't have everything for free I suppose.
Ads

Old 02-10-2008, 04:26 PM

I want something for the home screen otherwise I can just click my shortcut for Google which displays the current temp and me last five Gmail emails too. That's a PITA when I just want to quickly look at the weather. It would be nice to have on my home page but I would prefer something cheap or better yet free.

Old 02-10-2008, 06:52 PM

Jeth01 is on a distinguished road
Hi,
You could try Worldmate. It doesn't put the weather on the home screen, but it does have a daily weather page which displays in the morning each day. So when you first turn on your phone, the weather forecast is there. It shows temp, wind, humidity and conditions. It will even speak it if you want it to. I find it useful for figuring out what to wear each day, or if I'll need my umbrella. Oh, and it's free.

www.mobimate.com

Old 02-10-2008, 08:01 PM

jorang is on a distinguished road
If you buy Handy Shell you will have one year Handy Weather subscription for free. Handy Weather can give you 'weather at a glance' on the Handy Shell home screen
In my opinion - Handy Weather is THE weather forcast application - especially in europe.

Handy Shell will also give you Skyequickey functionality on the home screen - perfect to look up contacts and applications

Some Handy Weather screenshots:

www.epocware.com (Handy Shell: http://nokia-e71-software.epocware.com/Handy_Shell.html)

Last edited by jorang; 02-10-2008 at 08:11 PM. Reason: typo

Old 02-10-2008, 10:14 PM

I think you misunderstood... I would rather not pay for Handy Shell or ANY program for that matter. I prefer freeware and if I can't get something with the weather real time on my standby screen for free then I will wait. That's just me though.

Old 03-10-2008, 05:12 PM

jorang is on a distinguished road
Thats fine for me

From my point of view core functionality are worth paying for. I'd rather have an app that functions for weather forcasts than"do" with a lousy one.
Not saying that other apps are lousy, but if there is a freeware app for symbian weather forcasts in Norway (Europe) is yet to be found. I have searched quite a lot to find one.

Problem with all those apps is that its based on Yahoo weather (afaik) - which is probably a lot more presice in the US than on the coast of Norway

(Have to point out that I'm just an Handy app user, and I have no other connection with Handy which is beneficial for me)