All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 13-05-2008, 06:24 AM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
Nokia announce Maps on Ovi

Yesterday at Where 2.0, Nokia announced Maps on Ovi, a Web component designed to to complement Nokia Maps 2.0. As part of the Ovi brand, Maps on Ovi will allow users to plan their trips on their desktop and then synchronize (automatically or manually) it with their smartphones. Conversely, if you're already out on the road, you can record routes and points of interest on your handset and then upload them to the Ovi service when you return home to share with family and friends. More details and a screenshot below. Comments welcome!

Read on in the full article.

Old 13-05-2008, 10:31 AM

davidmaxwaterma is on a distinguished road
non-English?

I'm curious is Ovi will ever be in anything other than English...Chinese would seem to be an obvious choice.

Old 13-05-2008, 10:36 AM
Administrator

krisse is on a distinguished road
I think they'll probably want to integrate and launch it first. At the moment it's still four separate services: Twango (aka Ovi Share), N-Gage, Nokia Maps and Nokia Music, all with separate logins.

The Ovi.com page still talks about the launch being in the future, so at the moment Ovi is little more than a brand used by the sharing service.

To give them credit though, Nokia Music Store has been launched in many languages on a country-by-country basis, with local musical acts on each store's front page and the interface translated entirely into the local language.
Internet Tablet School - Tutorials on how to use Nokia Internet Tablets

Old 13-05-2008, 10:47 AM

davidmaxwaterma is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by krisse View Post
I think they'll probably want to integrate and launch it first. At the moment it's still four separate services: Twango (aka Ovi Share), N-Gage, Nokia Maps and Nokia Music, all with separate logins.

The Ovi.com page still talks about the launch being in the future, so at the moment Ovi is little more than a brand used by the sharing service.
Fair enough. I had come to think that it was launched already, what with all the talk about it - that's why I decided to check it out.

Quote:
To give them credit though, Nokia Music Store has been launched in many languages on a country-by-country basis, with local musical acts on each store's front page and the interface translated entirely into the local language.
Sounds fine, until I decided to check out Singapore's one and was presented with :

Code:
Nokia Music does not currently support the Mozilla Firefox (Mac OS X) browser on your operating system

Supported systems are currently Microsoft Windows XP or Vista

Supported browsers on the above systems are currently Microsoft Internet Explorer 6 and above

To find out more information on Nokia Music Store and information about accessing the store through your Nokia devices have a look at the Nseries Music pages

If the problem persists, then click here and tell us which page you are trying to view.
Sigh.

Which, IMO, is totally unacceptable. They might as well make dedicated client s/w if they restrict web pages to only one (or two) OSes.

Old 13-05-2008, 11:22 AM

fernando20 is on a distinguished road
In other news, http://maps.ovi.com/ needs a login
Ads