All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Series 60

Old 31-07-2006, 10:56 AM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
The Ultimate Multimedia Smartphone - the N93 reviewed

Rafe and Steve have been trialling the Nokia N93 for a week now and report back in part one of the AAS official review. This part covers camera, camcorder and other unique multimedia features and includes plenty of screenshots, plus sample photos and videos. Does the N93 live up to its billing?

Read on in the full article.

Old 31-07-2006, 12:19 PM

MarcTGFG is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the great review :-)

Is the flash really that bad? The N90 surprised me with its strong flash. It would be a deal breaker for me if the N93 couldnt take decent flash pictures at a party, at least 2 meters apart from the subject.

Marc

Old 31-07-2006, 01:31 PM

Brengla is on a distinguished road
Wirelessly posted (Nokia6680/1.0 (3.04.11) SymbianOS/8.0 Series60/2.6 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1)

It's wierd, isn't it, that regardless of a review that says, "Truly, this device isn't as special as it should have been", I still really want it. More for the TV out than anything (and also the fact that everyone will think wow). Can you imagine using Smartmovie through the tv. It's a portable movie player too!

One thing. Even if your phone is in portrait mode, is the tv still landscape?

Thanks for a great article!

Bren

Old 31-07-2006, 02:01 PM
Founder / Chief

Rafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of light
The flash isn't that bad. Its similar to the N90. I'll try and test this out some more. The picture of the owl was a nasty test - it was pitch black when I took that photo. The Flash is bad compared to dedicated camera.

For TV-out the screen will be the same as it on the phone. i.e. in portrait mode it is portrait on the screen. In landscape mode (i.e. folded down so the edge touches the keyboard) it is landscape. This is actually quite handy as naturally some application look more normal in portait view. And yes it is rather good as a portable media player - the only issue is the need for multiple memory cards.

Old 31-07-2006, 02:16 PM

Bassey is on a distinguished road
Whilst I like the idea behind the device, I'm not entirely convinced. I'm still not persuaded by the need to have a camera with you everywhere you go. No-one I know actually goes around taking photo's and video's all the time even though their phone is capable of doing so. I don't see this changing just because the optics are a lot better than a standard camera phone.

In my opinion, the only reason the majority of us have a camera phone is because the majority of phones have a camera built in (and that's because the networks want us to send lots of revenue generating MMS's), not because of any particular desire on the part of the user base to take hundreds of photos or videos with their phone. In other words, it's pure convenience.

I'm not sure that the man on the street cares enough about the quality of the output to justify the significant extra bulk for those rare occasions a camera phone is actually useful (even if the quality is a quantum leap when compared to the output of my Mini S!).

Don't get me wrong, as a "proof of concept" device I think it is superb. But, for now, I think the potential market is kind of limited. However, I'm absolutely sure that most phones will have this functionality within a few (3-5) years.

You look like you want to go away, But I know you’re gonna stay. For although your heart is in L.A, Your head is in my fridge. There’s flowers in your hair, they're not real their made of silk. There’s a note in your mouth, to remind me to get milk.

Wot Italian? from Boothby Graffoe

Old 31-07-2006, 02:23 PM

nj7 is on a distinguished road
That disappointment. Now that the N93 starts it to circulate and has each time more reviews, my conclusion is that is not of that I remodel to camcorder nor I go for the price raised for one big box. I go for the N73, therefore it passes in the test of the pocket of the shirt!

Old 31-07-2006, 02:24 PM

I don't use a camera much either or certainly never used a camcorder but I find when I do take a camera that it's always so bulky especially when you bed your phone and iPod to the mix. I'm going on holiday in October and want this phone before I go and I'm not taking a camera if I get it in time (which knowing O2 online is no guarantee).

A week to two weeks is too long for the next review, need more info now ;-)
Ads

Old 31-07-2006, 02:28 PM

Quote:
That disappointment. Now that the N93 starts it to circulate and has each time more reviews, my conclusion is that is not of that I remodel to camcorder nor I go for the price raised for one big box. I go for the N73, therefore it passes in the test of the pocket of the shirt!
The thing is though that the N73 has no wifi or tv out and they are the coolest feature!

Old 31-07-2006, 02:53 PM

MarcTGFG is on a distinguished road
Rafe,

when I take photographs with the N90 in my completely dark bathroom, it is well and completely illuminated! No color tint, no dark areas, everything very bright. Looking at the pic you took I severely doubt, that the N93s flash is nearly as good as the N90s! Unless you took that picture from 3-4 meters away with optical zoom used to full exttent, that would explain the less than satisfactory illumation...

Old 31-07-2006, 02:55 PM
Founder / Chief

Rafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of light
Bassey - you are absolutely right - the N93 is defintely not for eveyone. I do think some people liek having cmaeras on their phone. The problem is you only get then benefits once the quality is good enough and the camera is quick an easy to use. The N93 meets the good enough requirement and is easy(ish) to use, but it comes at the expense of size / weight to an extent.

Personally I'm not sure I would want to carry it around everyday. I have done so and it as bad it looks, but I can see where you are coming from.

Old 31-07-2006, 02:59 PM

Yep, the holiday scenario makes sense along with one or two others (family outings etc). However, I would look at it like this.

For those occasions (maybe ten times a year) I save carrying around three or even four gadgets by having the N93. But, the rest of the year, I'm carrying around a relatively bulky N93 when I could be carrying <insert small smartphone of choice> instead.

Or;

The majority of the time I'm carrying around a <insert small smartphone of choice> which fits comfortably in my pocket, but on special occasions I have to take a few devices with me which is a pain in the *** although I get excellent quality results.

Of course, the ideal might be to have an N93 AND a nice compact S60 device and swap between them as needs change, but then you loose the whole "Always got it with you" benefit. Anyway, I'm no-one to preach on such matters. I carried around an XDAIIs for 12 months which is positively gargantuan and weighs about the same as an old Mini Cooper.

You look like you want to go away, But I know you’re gonna stay. For although your heart is in L.A, Your head is in my fridge. There’s flowers in your hair, they're not real their made of silk. There’s a note in your mouth, to remind me to get milk.

Old 31-07-2006, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brengla
The thing is though that the N73 has no wifi or tv out and they are the coolest feature!
Wi-Fi is not very important for me. Almost all public places, if it only can use with payment! Connect to TV? My actual DSC / Camcorder, never, I mean, never had been connected to the TV.
Both are in N93, but I never gonna use one...
For me the most important, is the use of a camera in hollydays, if I can carry only one device. If is not the case, then N73 do a good photos and for day to day use, is less bulky.

Old 31-07-2006, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafe
Bassey - you are absolutely right - the N93 is defintely not for eveyone. I do think some people liek having cmaeras on their phone. The problem is you only get then benefits once the quality is good enough and the camera is quick an easy to use. The N93 meets the good enough requirement and is easy(ish) to use, but it comes at the expense of size / weight to an extent.

Personally I'm not sure I would want to carry it around everyday. I have done so and it as bad it looks, but I can see where you are coming from.
Another way, to express what I also think!

Old 31-07-2006, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafe
Bassey - I do think some people like having cmaeras on their phone.
I'm sure there are. The main group that springs to mind (other than us geeks of course ) is the very young. My 12 year old neice loves her camera phone and her and her friends are always swapping pics and video clips. However, I can guarantee she won't want an N93. Having swapped my huge XDA IIs for a (to my mind) beatifully compact and svelte XDA Mini S, she took one look at it and screamed "Oh my god! It's a brick". That was my nose well and truly out of joint .

Old 31-07-2006, 06:39 PM

luisan82 is on a distinguished road
if u want a good camera-mobile

I'm agree N93 is a superb mobile, but it's too expensive. If u want a great camera with mobile, try k800i. I've a N80 couse have wifi, a big resolution and UPnP. N93 is still better in all sense, but I'll w8 4 a new n9x series that have a really good camera.
You can find more reviews at mobile-review or gsmarena where also compares N93vsK800i photo quality.

Last edited by luisan82; 31-07-2006 at 06:42 PM.