All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 09-08-2004, 05:03 AM
atlamp

Question 6600 Camera *really* slow to save photos

I've had my 6600 for about 8 months now, and I've noticed that over time, it has taken longer and longer to save photos taken with the 6600's camera.

When I say save, I mean the time taken after clicking the joystick to take the photo until the phone is responsive again (in the meantime, the phone's status bar displays "Saving image").

I notice that the camera must have some sort of counter to name the new images Image(#), and my counter has just ticked over 600, so the photo I just took has been automatically saved as Image(601).

My empirical observation is that as this counter has increased, the time taken to save an image has increased too, such that it now takes close to 30 seconds to save a new photo. This is true regardless of how many photos are actually stored on the phone (while the counter is up to 600, most have been downloaded and removed - I currently have about 30 images on the phone).

Does anyone know if the value of this counter does indeed affect the save time? Is there some way to reset this photo counter? (Of course, this may have nothing to do with the save time, but I'm curious anyway).

In case it's pertinant, the photos are being saved to a 32Mb MMC card (rather than the phone memory).

Has anyone else seen this behaviour with their 6600? Any suggestions for a fix?

Thanks,
Andrew

Old 09-08-2004, 10:03 PM

irvind is on a distinguished road
Thumbs down

The 6600 is in fact the slowest phone in the world. Period.

The more you store in it, the slower it becomes. Which is torture since it was slow out of the box..!!!!

I've had mine since January and I'm not a fan. Getting a new one on Wednesday though so it will be interesting to see if it's any quicker, but I doubt it. I know three other people who have this and they all hate it.

I'm not a techie but I'm guessing it has either too much software or too slow a processor for the phone to work effectively.

Sorry, I know this doesn't specifically help your situation.. Does anybody else have any info on this?
Ads

Old 09-08-2004, 10:30 PM

elton is on a distinguished road
The counter can be reset by naming the save as something else and then back again, Go to camera/options/default image name.

While you are there check to see what the image quality is set to,the higher the quality,the longer the save time. (Although 30 secs is way too slow)

Sometimes files do not get deleted entirely,so you may have 600 or so _PAlbTN images still in there? Search the phone and mmc image folders using a file explorer.

You say it hasn't always been like this,so as a last resort i would try formating the phone and see if this cures it.

Old 10-08-2004, 04:43 AM
atlamp

Smile Problem Solved - Thanks elton

Quote:
Originally Posted by elton
The counter can be reset by naming the save as something else and then back again, Go to camera/options/default image name.
Thank you for this suggestion! Simply changing the default image name to something else has solved the problem. It now takes about 2 or 3 seconds (as it used to) to save the image. It seems that the software really must count through the used numbers (or at least process them in some way) to allocate a new image file name?!

Quote:
While you are there check to see what the image quality is set to,the higher the quality,the longer the save time. (Although 30 secs is way too slow)
Yes - I am saving images at the highest quality (though it's only 640x480 pixels of course).

Quote:
Sometimes files do not get deleted entirely,so you may have 600 or so _PAlbTN images still in there? Search the phone and mmc image folders using a file explorer.

You say it hasn't always been like this,so as a last resort i would try formating the phone and see if this cures it.
I'll have to look to see whether the _PAlbTN files you mention are still in the filesystem. But for now, my problem is solved, so thanks again Elton.

Cheers,
Andrew

Old 10-08-2004, 04:35 PM

elton is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlamp
Thank you for this suggestion! Simply changing the default image name to something else has solved the problem. It now takes about 2 or 3 seconds (as it used to) to save the image. It seems that the software really must count through the used numbers (or at least process them in some way) to allocate a new image file name?!

Yes - I am saving images at the highest quality (though it's only 640x480 pixels of course).

I'll have to look to see whether the _PAlbTN files you mention are still in the filesystem. But for now, my problem is solved, so thanks again Elton.

Cheers,
Andrew
No worries mate.