All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 17-04-2004, 10:18 PM

Lipp is on a distinguished road
Hi Stewe, (inserted!)

> Well, huh! What a long message!

Yeah, I’m sorry about that. I was on a roll Luckily most of it was my babbling not errors.

>music: I stop the music when you leave the main screen, except "start new
>game". It's because the music requires a lot of memory...

ok, just checking.

> Asmodeus: I can change it if you really want... btw I don't know what does it
>mean... it was made by our brain, probably we saw it somewhere (fantasy book?)

It doesn’t bother me at all. I’m just doing my job letting you know what you might be in for I wouldn’t worry about it for now. Most religious fanatics probably won’t recognize the name anyway.

>Quit without auto-save: I think it's not so important, since (as you said, too) the auto
>save is a backup thing, not a real slot.
> Auto-load: you can simply press 'no', and load your manually saved games. I don't
> think a menu could be a good solution for this screen

Ok, sorry, it took me a minute to understand what you had in mind. Please ignore what I suggested about no autosave on exit or menus for loading on startup.

Bug: What threw me off is that I found a bug (this happened twice so far) when I tried to autoload, the game actually started at a point before my last save. That made me think that the autosave was not the same as the save when exit.

> The Guarding function can be a new one... the E can be useful when you don't want to
> do anything with your other characters. For example: a monster is approaching, you
> cast spells by your mage, but can't do anything with your other chars. Currently the
> game doesn't have 'guard' functionality. I think I don't want to modify the main game
>code, because it's balanced and stable (the errors are in the Communicator part, or in a
>main part because of a Communicator feature). This can be a good item in the 1.06 version.

I was actually just curious about it. I agree that it is not worth compromising good code for a not so relevant modification. I still find it annoying that ‘E’ skips more than one character though, but it’s nothing we can’t work around.

>MAYBE: you have a bit low execution memory... could you make a bit more ? Or
>3305 is the max ? The game can be more stable with ~3500 free. It's in my list, with
>high priority. I have to decrease the needed memory by a few hundred kilobytes.

I’ll use more memory from now on. I was only running 3305 because I wanted to beta test under conditions that your target consumers will most likely be using. The game does recommend 3.2megs . Just trying to cover your back. Most people, (like me, until you taught me how ) won’t know how to free so much memory.

>Automatically move: not sure. Because: you could move one of them to the 1st line,
>instead of both of them.

It just seems unfair, because once the guys in the front fall, the guys in the back can get hit (as if they were in front) but they can’t hit back unless we re-order them.

Unless you want to do something really, really impractical like:
"If both front characters were slain, the 4th position (4th position because the stronger of the back characters usually brings up the rear) could pop forward…" (I don’t honestly expect something like this to be implemented)

… It might be better to just allow the guys in back to behave like front fighters unless one of them re-orders to take the lead.

I know my mind works in disturbing ways.

>Well, I'll think about this, but I don't like the automatical things (some should be in the
>game, for comfort, I agree).

I agree. I wouldn’t mention it if my characters didn’t drop like flies. I’m sure in higher levels this isn’t much of an issue so you might want to ignore this all together. Especially now that you are going to put ‘Replace’ in an easier to reach place.

>And the monsters can't hit characters in the 2nd row, if they're front of you. Of course
>the game calculates the attackable members by melee attack from a direction... if they're
>back, then they can attack characters in the 2nd line.

Ok, this was an oversight of my part. My bad.

>Drink during combat: yea, by design. We had to think about players with less (or none)
>rpg experience.

Agreed. The game is balanced with it though and it works nicely.

>Inventory spell book: it's just a reference, for information. I can't simply switch back to
>game screen to cast a spell at once... that's why you have a game-screen-spellbook with 'c'.

I actually knew that, but it’s still our duty to point out things that may confuse some of your customers as well as giving error reports. No matter how much grief this might cause to the poor, unsuspecting programmer 8D
Just pick through what’s useful, no biggie J

>Not showing items: I don't agree or just partially. This could lead to support emails
>(from the unexperinced rpg players...): where are my items? They're missing.

Ok, I see what you mean. You are going to get the support emails anyway, unless you at least replace the ‘0gp’ with an ‘X’ or ‘can’t sell here’.

> save/load shortcuts: the X is in the new version now... other shortcuts: ok, it's a new
>todo item... why ctrl-4 and ctrl-6 ?

Sweet! Well,
1) I thought of Ctrl-1 for the QuickSave because the player could press it without changing the way he’s holding the communicator, so it would be faster and easier and with only one hand. It would also be hard to press by mistake. Maybe ctrl-0 would be a better shortcut.
2) Ctrl-4 and ctrl-6, because they were far enough apart that one might have to use different hands to press them. It might reduce the grief of pressing the wrong button and saving instead of loading. Lots of the old game companies used to do it this way come to think about it, like Sierra and Id, if I’m not mistaken.

If you are really going to implement it, we could put it up to vote, maybe?

>load screen, highlight: it's a small thing, I can make it, 5 minutes. However, I
>don't think it's so important :p

Well, it’s not, now that I understand the logic behind the autoload option at startup. (as I said, mine was buggy) That, coupled with the autosave feature will make it unnecessary.

> xx,yy: well... we included the place info in the quest descriptions, and you can
>see the red small point where npcs are standing. The xx,yy can be done.

Understood. On second thought, the maps are small enough to not really need the x,y especially with the red points. I also failed to notice you could scroll the map on the full map screen. Doh! ;P
I really would urge you to put it in the next DragonFire game though J with a map that big it is really hard finding a pinpoint spot like the apple tree.

> Bless description: ok!
>And the "bless" can only help you in melee attack, in every rpg. And, the most
>important thing: mages will be the far most strong characters later! When they will have
>hundreds of spell points and their lightning bolt spell cause 100 damage. You'll see that.
>Ah yes, another thing: the curse spell. It's important for melee, and for magical attacks,
>too. A cursed monster will receive more damage.

Ok, (on bless) Although it is customary, not every rpg ‘bless’ spell raises only melee damage dished out. I thought it was worth double-checking just in case.

As for ‘curse’ I’m a little confused now. I’m reading the description and it states:
"Curse: Lowers the damage and defense of an enemy"

I interpret what you just told me as: "curse will raise both physical and magical damage received by the enemy."

But my understanding from the spell description is: "reduces the damage the enemy can cause to you and lowers his defense as well."

Can you clarify this for me?

> In the inventory's spellbook, you can see that the damage/time effect *by your current
>character*. It's not linear, and based on class, level, intelligence level, and so on. Check
>the spell descriptions...

I did. I didn’t find anything regarding this other than what I wrote as your previous description. This might be because I was checking the description of scrolls at the time since my characters didn’t know the spell.

>And thank you for your words about our bunny. We miss him so much :(

Any chance we could see a picture of the little guy? I don’t want to push on a touchy subject if it bothers you, but my girlfriend is really into animals and is bugging me to find out more about him!

Take care, Louis

Old 17-04-2004, 11:06 PM

redshift is on a distinguished road
Hi!

I don't include your one, it would a 2-page message!

First of all... bunny pictures ;( ...I started to cry... these are older pictures, and his left eye was healthy on these pictures. It was so diseased, before he died
;(((((((((((((
http://www.redshift.hu/stewe/nyuszi01.jpg
(and increase 01 to 12)
Half a day earlier there was a burial service ;(

(5 minutes later, after a cigarette)

some things from your message:

- Autosave: it happens only when exit... I really don't call that routine, except in "exit" routine. So... you may saved your game before exit. In this case the auto-save and your real save can be almost the same.

- Memory: I decided to develop a new version, with much lower needed memory. But! (and I need your opinion): the new version can be a bit slower. Because: Now I pre-render every picture in every distance, so the drawing is fast, because I don't have to dynamically draw&resize at the same time (just draw). It needs more memory, of course. For the new version, I could develop optimized drawing routines, these can draw&resize (but takes at least 1 MB less execution memory!). What do you think? It can be a few days work, I would have to optimize fully the new drawing routines.

- To allow the characters in 2nd line to attack when the first ones are died: it's absolutely logical, I agree. Will be done!
(You were right - it won't be useful later... you characters won't die at all, I'm sure)

- The "can't sell here" doesn't fit into the small space... and I don't have the abc characters in the raster font (the items' prices are with a special font). Not so important, I think. But yes, we had and will have emails about this... from new players, since they'll know it later, although they won't have later such items, or just a few.

- Dragonfire: we plan a sequel... with a free world editor, 10x larger base world, sub-maps, just like Legacy.

- Bless: I think you're "blessed" when a mage cast a bless on you (in rpg). That means *higher* chance to attack succesfully, and higher chance to apply more damage. With spells, it's a different thing, without physical connection.
Based on this, yes, I could make the bless to work with spells, too. I shouldn't have to! Because of the mage characters, they're the strongest ones!
There are more players who finished the game only with a single mage/battlemage!!! They had a level 24 mage after the finish.
I have a saved game from the end, if you're interested!

- Curse: you're right. This can be because of our English, and other players on other platforms didn't have a mood to mention this :p
Note: the text must be short enough for the spell descriptions. Without this, I may have to include the fixed one in the Communicator version only... (for example ppc has only 320x240 resolution)

I don't have too much mood to work during this weekend :(
Maybe I'll have a new version days later.

Regards,
Stewe

Old 18-04-2004, 07:29 AM
Banned

LAuRA is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by redshift
First of all... bunny pictures ;( ...I started to cry... these are older pictures, and his left eye was healthy on these pictures. It was so diseased, before he died
;(((((((((((((
http://www.redshift.hu/stewe/nyuszi01.jpg
(and increase 01 to 12)
Half a day earlier there was a burial service ;(

Regards,
Stewe
The bunny is adorable, I can understand your pain. :((( I have three cats myself and I can't imagine ever being able to let them go... :((( So take your time with the game, there are other things in life that are important too.

But when you get back to work, making the memory requirements more manageable would be my suggestion. I'm frustrated when I sometimes can't save, can't open all barrels (the first one in Decrantes for example always crashes my game), can't open doors (haven't been to the inn yet because the game crashes at the door) etc. without the Kern Exec #3. 3.3 mb does not seem to be enough and I'm getting nowhere with this. I know I should format and all to free more memory but is it realistic to assume 'regular' players do that every time? (I am not a pro in rpgs or any of the techical stuff myself, so these are 'layman's comments').

If you keep the memory requirements at this level, the users would need simple instructions on how to free more memory, and that may not be possible... Formatting is not a simple operation. Of course in the future communicators (9500) this is probably not a problem anymore. The crude and slow version for the old devices and the faster one for the future devices maybe?

Btw I've been playing the version you gave in Comm4.zip.

Try to enjoy your weekend Stewe

Old 18-04-2004, 07:49 AM

TheSpecialBoy is on a distinguished road
Wirelessly posted (Nokia6600/1.0 (3.42.1) SymbianOS/7.0s Series60/2.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.0)

Hey ! Where is my crucifix ? Might be a bug that i don't find it ?

Old 18-04-2004, 07:51 AM

SirKline is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by redshift
Hi!

First of all... bunny pictures ;(
My girlfriend: 'Oh, he's so cute.' I think you should definitly set him some kind of memorial in the game.

Quote:
- Autosave: it happens only when exit... I really don't call that routine, except in "exit" routine. So... you may saved your game before exit. In this case the auto-save and your real save can be almost the same.
But one thing that might be handy would be to be able load the autosave from the menu, not just on starting the game.

Quote:
- Memory: I decided to develop a new version, with much lower needed memory. But! (and I need your opinion): the new version can be a bit slower. Because: Now I pre-render every picture in every distance, so the drawing is fast, because I don't have to dynamically draw&resize at the same time (just draw). It needs more memory, of course. For the new version, I could develop optimized drawing routines, these can draw&resize (but takes at least 1 MB less execution memory!). What do you think? It can be a few days work, I would have to optimize fully the new drawing routines.
Sounds like a good idea to me. Maybe we should try it and see whether less performance is a big issue compared to lesser RAM needed.

Quote:
- To allow the characters in 2nd line to attack when the first ones are died: it's absolutely logical, I agree. Will be done!
(You were right - it won't be useful later... you characters won't die at all, I'm sure)

- The "can't sell here" doesn't fit into the small space... and I don't have the abc characters in the raster font (the items' prices are with a special font). Not so important, I think. But yes, we had and will have emails about this... from new players, since they'll know it later, although they won't have later such items, or just a few.
Maybe you could give the startitems a value of 1? So they could be sold but it would not make profit.

Quote:
- Dragonfire: we plan a sequel... with a free world editor, 10x larger base world, sub-maps, just like Legacy.
This is great news.

Quote:
<snip>

Regards,
Stewe
Anyway, much thanks for your fast improvements regarding our concerns and sugestions.
If you want me to, i would try to make a tutorial map. However i fear that it would be a bit communicator specific since i don't play another version and i don't know the differences.

Greets SirKline

Old 18-04-2004, 08:13 AM

Wirelessly posted (Nokia6600/1.0 (3.42.1) SymbianOS/7.0s Series60/2.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.0)

Found it ! The crucifix it was no bug

Old 18-04-2004, 08:23 AM

How can i use the

Old 18-04-2004, 08:25 AM
Banned

LAuRA is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSpecialBoy

Found it ! The crucifix it was no bug
LOL, congrats

Old 18-04-2004, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSpecialBoy

How can i use the
How can i use the n.gora entance key ? Do i need to register or what ?

Old 18-04-2004, 10:54 AM

Hi!

More answers...

Laura: thank you... the truth is We shouldn't be selfish. He would have serious pains without the surgery - and it seems his small body wasn't strong enough during that surgery :(
We're going to go to the cemetary today, too...
Currently We aren't strong enough to believe it was the best for him, but that's the truth.
- Memory: it's the most important thing. Communicator is fast enough to handle the dynamic resize during drawing, so it's the best method. The needed memory will be decreased dramatically -> around middle of the week.

SirKline: thank you... yes, I'm thinking about something like this, a memorial.
- Auto-save from the menu (load/save screen): yes, it's a good idea. I can put a 5th slot on the load/save screen.
- Memory: the speed depends on the optimization. I may have to rewrite that routine several times, to be fast enough. I have ideas for this task, maybe I should use Arm assembly on Communicator, but it's very hard.
- new items, gold=1: brilliant idea!!!
- tutorial map: thank you!!! with the editor, you can't make Communicator-specific maps... all of the versions use the same "inner-game-code", and they're absolutely compatible. A note, but probably you won't try it: You can beam a saved game from Palm or Ppc or Communicator, to another Palm/Ppc/Communicator. If you send it from a Communicator to a Palm, then the target device will simply accept it, and you can play with your saved game. It's tested, the compatibility is 100%.
(Same for downloaded maps!)

- SpecialBoy: if you got that key after beating N'Gora, then you should see a keyhole on the opposite wall (from the shelf). After opening it, there's a teleporter, and that's the shareware/release border! If you don't have a regcode, then please send me your IMEI, but please check if the game successfully blocks you at the teleporter.

Thank you for your help!

Stewe

Old 18-04-2004, 07:33 PM

My imei is 350149 10 362550 6 . Waiting for registration code. Ps just pm it to my. i am whiting

Old 18-04-2004, 08:25 PM

bug and tut map

Hi Stewe,

found another bug, the priority of the background fire in the nightly inn in the 2. city is higher than the hireling screens, so the fire will appear in front of the hireling's head.

And about the tut map. Already started to layout a map but i haven't found out how to place an NPC (or another object) on a wall. Short hint please?

Greets

SirKline

ptw. Register limit worked fine for me, the lvl6 cap and the ngora dungeon.

Old 18-04-2004, 08:43 PM

Hi!

SpecialBoy, I have sent your regcode via pm. Thank you for your help!

SirKline:
- inn anim: thank you! It's in my list now...
- editor: it's because of the lack of documentation. You need to hold down SHIFT, then you can select a wall on the map. Now if you have a selected "wall object" (at right), then you can press space to put it down.
Another thing: please open and examine the Morah map. You can see a teleport at the beginning... type: circle teleport, inner type: "back to connection", object name: "STARTGAME". You need to create a similar teleport, without it the game would simply skip your world!
- register limit: cool!!!

Thank you for your help!

Another thing: I have planned the new architecture (on paper), which will require less memory. It seems I *have* to work endlessly, instead of thinking about our bunny :(((

Regards,
Stewe

Old 19-04-2004, 06:26 AM

Lipp is on a distinguished road
Oh No! Not another bug bible from Lippdinos!
I know I can get longwinded on these reports. I’ve been QA’ing for a while and it turns into a habit. Don’t feel you have to respond all at once, I’m just trying to be complete when I can. (If you think these are bad you should see some of the 15 page ‘bug only’ reports I used to submit to AOL and Fantasoft.)

Bug Report 7
18-4-4
Louis Lipp
Lippdinos@pobox.com

Legacy V.4
3550k free

Old Bug: I have been thinking about what you said about my not running with enough memory. I noticed that when I use more memory I still get the same problems (random crashes just by walking around, sleeping at an inn, ‘out of memory’ messages, etc.) but it might take longer to happen. Logic dictates that the memory is getting polluted and sooner or later will crash no matter how much free ram you have. Could the cleanup functions be malfunctioning?

Bug 1: I am getting crashes when I quit. Very consistent error. Eikon-listbox #5.

Items…: I don’t understand why some items cost 0. Sometimes I have two identical daggers in my inventory but one will sell for 0 and the other for 60, at the same shop, at the same time. I have several items that the store wont offer more than 0 for, like swords, warhammers, etc. Why?
If ‘won’t sell here’ doesn’t fit over the item, how about drawing a big red ‘X’ over the items you can’t sell at that store. Here’s another idea: I remember one game I used to play only displayed items you could sell but you could see a shortcut on the screen that would ‘Show non salable items too.’

Quest items: Can you make it harder or impossible to drop quest items? At least a warning ‘you cannot finish the game without this item silly!’

Bug 2: Battery indicator always says ‘good’ no matter how low it is.

Bug 3: I was caught in combat with the last guy standing being equipped with a bow. He could not attack since he ran out of arrows but he could not switch weapons ‘because he was in combat’.

Characteristic: I may be wrong about this, but I did not notice any way to do it.
When you are fighting more than one foe, can you choose whom you are going to hit? It makes more sense to finish one enemy off instead of just hitting both.

Hm?: Do MP’s and HP’s regenerate over time?

Hm.2: I’m not sure if I mentioned this, when in the spellbook (combat, not reference), you cannot switch to another user by pressing 1-4.

Observations:

On SirKline’s idea: (autosave) It is a neat idea to be able to load from the auto-save position inside the game (or else you would have to quit and run the game again to do it), but I suggest you not allow us to save there. It would defeat the purpose of autosave. As it is, the 5th spot would be overwritten on exit anyway so it’s hardly a safe place to save a game.

Come to think of it, right now, AutoSave is only useful to get you into the game quicker. It’s not really a backup device. I think we need to re-think it’s purpose before we change anything else.

--
SirKline: Maybe you could give the startitems a value of 1? So they could be sold but it would not make profit.
Stewe: - new items, gold=1: brilliant idea!!!

I really, strongly disagree with this one. It would create more confusion that it’s worth. Since we are constantly thinking about the novice player, this feature would really annoy them until they could figure out they had to go to the other shops. Either make the items non salable or don’t list them, selling them for less will just be really annoying for everyone.
Crap. Actually we are ignoring the easy way out. Just type a ‘–‘ or an ‘x’ in the price box. That should be easy enough to figure out and would not require any change big change in the programming. If you really want to get fancy with this (and still be lazy) you could re-order the items in the store view (only) so that you list the items the store wants to buy first, followed by all the others with the ‘-‘ or ‘x’ in the price square. Everyone will get the clue that way. A ‘NS’ for ‘No Sale’ will probably be easy to guess too. But please don’t let us sell mega items for a gp by mistake!
You would have another problem with that too, the items would end up in the store inventory I wonder what price they would take on then.

On the store subject: Another idea for the future could be a general store. They buy everything for a lower price and sell for a higher price.
Perhaps even a pawn shop, that way you could sell items for a lower price but they would stay there so you could buy them back later.
--

Stewe : Memory: I decided to develop a new version, with much lower needed memory. But! (and I need your opinion): the new version can be a bit slower.
(but takes at least 1 MB less execution memory!). What do you think? It can be a few days work, I would have to optimize fully the new drawing routines.

Well, I would really hate to see performance go, I have to admit the game right now, is only a little bit past the slow side.
I have to agree with Laura though, almost nobody has 3.2megs of free memory and even less will be willing to reset their communicators just to test this new game. To be honest with you it took me ages to be able to get 1 meg of free space (before I got my memory card) to be able to finally make space for DragonFire. (It was well worth it, but still,.. you have to run it once to find out.) From a customer’s standpoint, It’s already a tough decision to turn off all my communicator functions (including telephone), to run it. I sure as heck wouldn’t reset my device just to ‘try’ a game that one may or may not like.
Unless you want endless requests for assistance, (since most people would probably write you or give up way before reading a forum. At least until they got into the game), I think rewriting may be the only way out.

--

Questions:

1) Speaking of which, is there any way to recharge magic devices?
Suggestion for the future: How about a way to split and join quivers of (compatible) arrows. (very useful!!)

2) Are there any plans for the future to be able to replace the character portraits with our own custom pictures? Just seems to make sense since so many portables now a days have built in cameras.. J

--

I was checking out the description for legacy on your site.
I think you are downplaying a big point on not letting people know they can create AND SELL, new maps for this game with the free editor. Let them know they can create their own IMEI dependant (or whatever) codes and the interest on making new adventures will soar!! I’m guessing this is true, right? People won’t be able to edit the maps you create?
Oh, is the expansion pack already built into the communicator version?

--

When is this going to come out anyway?
You know, the thing I think I liked most about dragonfire is that it had that ‘classic’ rpg feel to it, the same way that Ultima or some of the others did.

You didn’t sacrifice quality just to make it look ‘3D’ish’ it also didn’t have that grainy look (that is so prevalent in today’s games, who knows why.)
You could probably just make another map for the thing and sell it again!

--
Confusion on the horizon!

- Bless: I think you're "blessed" when a mage cast a bless on you (in rpg). That means *higher* chance to attack succesfully, and higher chance to apply more damage. With spells, it's a different thing, without physical connection. Based on this, yes, I could make the bless to work with spells, too. I shouldn't have to! Because of the mage characters, they're the strongest ones!

Wait, so you mean that bless increases ‘to hit’ and ‘damage’ then?

I agree, btw, that it doesn’t have to raise the benefits of magic, I was just trying to clarify.

There are more players who finished the game only with a single mage/battlemage!!! They had a level 24 mage after the finish.
I have a saved game from the end, if you're interested!

Sweet! Well, let me see what my character looks like by then, I like some surprises

- Curse: you're right. This can be because of our English, and other players on other platforms didn't have a mood to mention this :p
Note: the text must be short enough for the spell descriptions. Without this, I may have to include the fixed one in the Communicator version only... (for example ppc has only 320x240 resolution)

Well, it’s not worth making the communicator version different until all the others are fixed. Let me know how many character spaces we have to write the descriptions in the other versions and we can try to make one for all of them.
! I still need you to clarify on the effect of curse though, and now on bless again.

--

First of all... pictures ;(

Your bunny is absolutely gorgeous! Not a problem, my friend. Take all the time in the world.
take care, Louis

Old 19-04-2004, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lipp
On SirKline�s idea: (autosave) It is a neat idea to be able to load from the auto-save position inside the game (or else you would have to quit and run the game again to do it), but I suggest you not allow us to save there. It would defeat the purpose of autosave. As it is, the 5th spot would be overwritten on exit anyway so it�s hardly a safe place to save a game.

Come to think of it, right now, AutoSave is only useful to get you into the game quicker. It�s not really a backup device. I think we need to re-think it�s purpose before we change anything else.
I just meant it as a possibility to load from the game menu, i never wanted to be able to save to it. Sometimes i did something stupid and i hardly save except for the autosave. And it would be nice just to load the autosave again, but if i quit then it will be overwritten.

Quote:
SirKline: Maybe you could give the startitems a value of 1? So they could be sold but it would not make profit.
Stewe: - new items, gold=1: brilliant idea!!!

I really, strongly disagree with this one. It would create more confusion that it�s worth. Since we are constantly thinking about the novice player, this feature would really annoy them until they could figure out they had to go to the other shops. Either make the items non salable or don�t list them, selling them for less will just be really annoying for everyone.
Crap. Actually we are ignoring the easy way out. Just type a ��� or an �x� in the price box. That should be easy enough to figure out and would not require any change big change in the programming. If you really want to get fancy with this (and still be lazy) you could re-order the items in the store view (only) so that you list the items the store wants to buy first, followed by all the others with the �-� or �x� in the price square. Everyone will get the clue that way. A �NS� for �No Sale� will probably be easy to guess too. But please don�t let us sell mega items for a gp by mistake!
You would have another problem with that too, the items would end up in the store inventory I wonder what price they would take on then.
I think i might be misunderstood here. I was talking about the problem that the start weapons and armors had a value of 0. I was not talking about selling every thing in every shop. You would have to go to the weapon shop and armor shop to sell them there anyway. But at least you could sell them (and they could be vanished after that, nobody would buy their start things back anyway).

Greets
SirKline
Ads