All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 16-04-2004, 07:45 AM

SirKline is on a distinguished road
Exclamation BuG

Hey Stewe,

the registry key is not saved. I have to register new everytime i start the game.
Bug or Feature?

Just killed N'Gora, YES!!

Greets

SirKline

Old 16-04-2004, 10:10 AM

redshift is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirKline
The display of the gamma and sound levels is very nice.

but most importantly the nonexitent map rotation makes it much much easier. This is really much better.

greets

SirKline
Thank you!!!
Btw I really don't know why I set the map to be rotated. I thought it's better, don't ask why.

I have a small delay with the new test version, because our bunny died yesterday ;( My girlfriend is very sad ;( Just like me ;(((((((

Regards,
Stewe

Old 16-04-2004, 02:59 PM

Big Problem!

Hi Stewe,

I'm sorry for your rabbit. Probly easter was to hard for it, bringing all the eggs?

However i'm back at work (read testing) and i have a major problem. After killing the bad guy i went to the second city. However since i missed the Ashela quest i went back via teleporter and finished it. Then teleported to the second city again.

Now comes the trouble:

while walking around in the second city every now and then i get teleported to decantres. This should not be., should it?

Greets
SirKline

Old 16-04-2004, 03:50 PM

TheSpecialBoy is on a distinguished road
Wirelessly posted (Nokia6600/1.0 (3.42.1) SymbianOS/7.0s Series60/2.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.0)

:( sorry for your rabbit :( . May be that in his memory you should enter a quest to make the magic rabbit immortal i guess all will agree on it. Sorry again.

Old 16-04-2004, 04:50 PM

Thank you...
;(

Sirkline, it seems to be a bug...
OR, I can imagine something. Your game was registered, so you were able to go to the second city. But now, for the new version, probably you deleted the game, and deleted the LegacyCfg.pdb file, which contains the entered regcode. In this case you should enter your regcode again, in "Please Register" screen.

But... if your game is registered, but you are still teleported back to the base world, then it's a bug...

SpecialBoy: thank you! We gave him everything ;( He loved tropical fruits, although he were a real bunny.

Stewe

Old 16-04-2004, 07:03 PM

Stewe,

its seems to have to do with the registration, everything is fine after registering again. However the registry information is not saved. i have to register every time i start the game.

greets

SirKline

Old 16-04-2004, 07:18 PM
Banned

LAuRA is on a distinguished road
Sorry to hear about your rabbit :( Rabbits never hurt anybody... unlike these damn spiders in the catacombs...

I like the map now that it doesn't rotate. I'm still struggling with the memory problems, and I get crashes a lot (when leaving the forest or checking the first barrel in town for example), but I'm playing with 3.2-3.3 mb free and maybe that isn't quite enough. Besides I have 3.54 firmware, which is kinda old too. The game is good though, so keep up the good work

Old 16-04-2004, 10:38 PM

Hello!

SirKline: I check it at once! It seems to be a bug. The "registry" is special in this Communicator version... called LegacyCfg.pdb. Will be fixed for next version.

Laura... Thank you. I try to work instead of getting crazy :(
Memory problems: I try to find something, which could mean less used memory. Not sure :( Maybe only the 1.06 version can be better, because I have to write this part again, for every version (palm, ppc, symbian). That's a huge work.

Thank you for your help!

Stewe

Old 17-04-2004, 12:27 AM

Lipp is on a distinguished road
Article Bug Report 6 - Lipp

Hi there,
Thanks! Sorry bout the duplicate message. I sent it to you because I was only able to post it here on the group now. I just went ahead and created a new id so problem solved.
[]’s Louis

Bug Report 6
15-4-4
Louis Lipp
Lippdinos@pobox.com

3305k free
Legacy v.4

Bug ?: sound gives out when I enter help screen? (Is this normal?)

Improper naming(?): Father Asmodeus. Hm.. This does not bother me, but the name might touch a delicate note with some. Asmodeus being the overlord of all the dukes of hell and all.

Bug 1: (hiring character bug) When hiring you get the message ‘press ‘h’ again to know more..’ but nothing happens.
--

Annoying feature / Bug :(Auto save) I really like the idea that autosave does not save in the same position as the last save. It’s nice to have it as a safety backup instead of having it force overwrite on my real save. Especially since sometimes I just want to fool around without saving.

Problems:
1) I would like to have the option to quit without saving.
2) It defeats the purpose of autoload (great feature by the way) on the startup screen since it loads from the autosave and not from your last save position, which may be different.
--

Observation: In ‘Help’ menu you can see "Return" on the bottom right. It looks like the "return" corresponds to the button on the side of the screen. It took me a little time to notice that the different color of the ‘R’ in return corresponds to the keyboard and not the command button it stands next to. You might want to think about moving or changing this to make navigation more intuitive. I’m not the only silly person around J

Bug 2: characters still duplicate in the hire screen.

Bug 3: (combat) when we press ‘E’ to skip a turn in combat, both characters in the row pass their turn. Is there a way to change this so that only the selected (or active) character passes? Btw. When a character passes, does he get a ‘Guarding’ bonus for defense or does he just pass? If he does get a bonus, how about putting a ‘Guard’ option on the combat screen? Instead of the hidden ‘E’.

Bug 4: (combat) this is the bug I was telling you about in the gnome house. It has happened twice so far, but not every time I tried it. When you walk in, kill the first gnome, the second gnome (keeper) behind him engages you in combat. He is a step or two in away but you can’t move forward or run away. You seem kind of paralyzed in this screen for a while. One of the times I was able to move forward after a while the other I wasn’t.

!Bug 5: (crash) I did this several times in the same playing session before I got an error.. After I slept at the inn, I "played cards" and got the "out of memory" warning followed by a lockup followed by a crash. Message:

Kern-EXEC

!Bug 6: (sound crash) This only happened once all night, and once the next day (with a fresh boot). Playing cards, I got a (Kern-exec, 3) message. Game still worked fine, but without sound.

!Bug 7: (random crashes)
1) while just walking around, I got a crash: Kern-EXEC, 1. This happened twice.
2) while trying to enter the inn, out of memory msg. Crash. cmda-controller, 7. (I had 3221k free)

Odd Game Characteristics:

(combat) How come the guys in the back row can’t fight with melee weapons but they can get hit by monsters wielding the same? Plus, when both guys in the front get killed the guys in the back don’t get automatically pushed forward (neither are they allowed to attack), you have to go in and manually ‘replace’ them. Can you allow the guys in the back to attack with melee weapons automatically if both the guys in front are down?

The other way to solve this could be:
To automatically push forward the guy in the 4th position but only after both 1 and 2 get killed. I know you don’t want to push both magic users forward at the same time and the stronger one traditionally brings up the rear (4th). Just a thought.

--
Speaking of which: Is there any chance we could get the ‘Replace’ put in the ‘Main Character Screen’ instead of in the ‘Status’ screen? It’s too many button presses away and might be more intuitive that way. J

--

Obs.: I noticed that in combat I can go into my inventory, drink potions, do whatever , trade stuff, and still have time to attack. Don’t know if this is worth changing really, seems to fit the game pretty well. Just wanted to let you know about.

--
(Inventory spell book) You cannot cast spells from the inventory spell book while in combat.
--
In stores around the city I noticed you can only sell stuff that is related to what the store is selling. What do you think about not showing the items in the inventory that you can’t sell to that store (value 0)?

On other notes:

Stewe: I think that mapping the ‘X’ key from the Adventure Screen would be a great idea, but it does not substitute a hotkey for saving. We still have to press 8 keys to save the game and more to get back to the adventure screen. How bout a <Ctrl> +1 or something?
Actually, here are my thoughts on the matter. The only thing that I think is really necessary from the list below is a hotkey from the adventure screen to the save screen, but if you want to make the game really have some nice features, how about this:
<Ctrl>+1 QuickSave - will save game in last position saved but without changing screens
<Ctrl>+4 Shortcut to save – will send you to save screen
<Ctrl>+6 Shortcut to load – will send you to load screen

I really liked the volume/gama /battery indicators, thanks! I’m glad you left them on the title screen, anywhere else might have taken some of the fantasy feel from the game. Especially since we don’t need to keep a constant eye on them.

Since you are taking suggestions J

On loading: it would be really nice if when you got into the loading or save screen, the cursor automatically would highlight the most recent save. (this isn’t necessarily the same as the one with the greatest time frame, but it would be really special if you could manage that.)
--

One thing that is not really necessary, but would really be useful: (DragonFire really, really needed this feature). Some X:00, Y:00 coordenates near the map. They could be map dependant so one would not start counting where the other map left off, each map (city or east forest, etc.) would just have their own. This would make it soooo much easier to find those hard to get to places in the middle of nowhere, or "where was that quest guy again?"
--
TheSpecialboy has a point on the training. I think that it would be a neat idea but not essential. Maybe one of us could get the editor and make a little training adventure with lot’s of signs to read and people to talk to on the way. A pop up message here or there maybe. I think that would solve it. As for the cards… I really don’t think it is that hard to figure out. A little help screen with the pictures of the cards and some basic explanations might be nice, but some things are fun to figure out for yourself as well. I can go either way. Not necessary for an alpha release.

--

The Bless spell description: the original text is:
"Improves the damage taken by enemies in combat"
What you said is correct, but it might be more clear if we changed it to:

"Increases the damage you cause to your enemies in combat."

or

"Allows your party to cause more damage in combat."

Question: is it only physical damage or does it also improve magical damage. In addition to that, does the spell improve your chances to hit? If so we may need to change the description. Also, is there any information you want to mention about time of effect? Such as, will the spell last for a single combat no matter how long or will it last an hour per level of caster, etc. etc.

Old 17-04-2004, 12:37 AM

Lipp is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSpecialBoy
Wirelessly posted (Nokia6600/1.0 (3.42.1) SymbianOS/7.0s Series60/2.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.0)

:( sorry for your rabbit :( . May be that in his memory you should enter a quest to make the magic rabbit immortal i guess all will agree on it. Sorry again.
This is actually a really cool idea!

I'm really sorry to hear about your bunny Stewe,

It's tough to loose a companion, but you will get to meet him again someday just don't be in a hurry!

Old 17-04-2004, 01:25 AM

Well, huh! What a long message!
Thank you... I check them all now:

- music: I stop the music when you leave the main screen, except "start new game". It's because the music requires a lot of memory...

- Asmodeus: I can change it if you really want... btw I don't know what does it mean... it was made by our brain, probably we saw it somewhere (fantasy book?)

- Hiring, 'h': that should select the first character, so his/her stats can be seen. I check the shortcut.

- Auto-save: yea, by design. The auto-save slot is the 0, LegacySave0.pdb. In the next version, saving is dramatically faster, half second (or max 1 second)

- Quit without auto-save: I think it's not so important, since (as you said, too) the auto-save is a backup thing, not a real slot.

- Auto-load: you can simply press 'no', and load your manually saved games. I don't think a menu could be a good solution for this screen (since this screen doesn't have slot information at all, it's a different, load/save modul). The main screen knows only the 0 is the auto-save, and tries to detect whether it exists or not.

- Return button on help screen: in my list... I plan to put the button at the center/bottom.

- Character duplication: it's a sneaky bug, I need more investigations. But will be fixed in the next test version...

- The Guarding function can be a new one... the E can be useful when you don't want to do anything with your other characters. For example: a monster is approaching, you cast spells by your mage, but can't do anything with your other chars. Currently the game doesn't have 'guard' functionality. I think I don't want to modify the main game code, because it's balanced and stable (the errors are in the Communicator part, or in a main part because of a Communicator feature). This can be a good item in the 1.06 version.

- Gnome thing: it's a bug, yes. Happened on more devices. Not sure why, I'll check it deeply.

- Crash, sleep, card game: maybe because of sleep, it's in my todo list. There can be a bug there (in the fade routine!?)

- Sound crash while playing with cards: I won't stop until I can re-create this problem! I can imagine it, but can't find the problem in the code by my imagination.

- MAYBE: you have a bit low execution memory... could you make a bit more ? Or 3305 is the max ? The game can be more stable with ~3500 free. It's in my list, with high priority. I have to decrease the needed memory by a few hundred kilobytes.

- Automatically move: not sure. Because: you could move one of them to the 1st line, instead of both of them.
And the monsters can't hit characters in the 2nd row, if they're front of you. Of course the game calculates the attackable members by melee attack from a direction... if they're back, then they can attack characters in the 2nd line.
Well, I'll think about this, but I don't like the automatical things (some should be in the game, for comfort, I agree).

- Replace, Main Characters Screen: ok.

- Drink during combat: yea, by design. We had to think about players with less (or none) rpg experience. Pda market isn't large enough to release a "strong" rpg (for example pc and console market are big enough :p)

- Inventory spell book: it's just a reference, for information. I can't simply switch back to game screen to cast a spell at once... that's why you have a game-screen-spellbook with 'c'.

- Not showing items: I don't agree or just partially. This could lead to support emails (from the unexperinced rpg players...): where are my items? They're missing.

- save/load shortcuts: the X is in the new version now... other shortcuts: ok, it's a new todo item... why ctrl-4 and ctrl-6 ?

- load screen, highlight: it's a small thing, I can make it, 5 minutes. However, I don't think it's so important :p

- xx,yy: well... we included the place info in the quest descriptions, and you can see the red small point where npcs are standing. The xx,yy can be done.

- training: the truth is we planned that more users need forums to play with the game at 100% efficiency. That's a kind of self-marketing (when more forums are dedicated to Legacy). A trainer map is a good idea.

- Bless description: ok!
And the "bless" can only help you in melee attack, in every rpg. And, the most important thing: mages will be the far most strong characters later! When they will have hundreds of spell points and their lightning bolt spell cause >100 damage. You'll see that.
Ah yes, another thing: the curse spell. It's important for melee, and for magical attacks, too. A cursed monster will receive more damage.

- In the inventory's spellbook, you can see that the damage/time effect *by your current character*. It's not linear, and based on class, level, intelligence level, and so on. Check the spell descriptions...

Thank you for your help!

And thank you for your words about our bunny. We miss him so much :(

Stewe

Old 17-04-2004, 11:39 AM

When i want to sell some items like clothes or weapons i got a 0 value for them and i cannot sell them. What am i supposed to do with them ? Drop it ? Next: when entering the sell items i should not be able to sell the item wear by the character. And second i guess listing items that has nothing to do with the store we are in is useless and makes no sense to browse clothes if i want to sell weapons

Old 17-04-2004, 11:46 AM

Please also improve the menu picture is not good resolution another bug. Please think about an undo feature . Or is not a RPG common feature ? Another one. If the character has full force or magna can you make that if the character wants to drink another one is warned that the level is full and makes no sense ? Sometimes you drink a potion by mistake.

Old 17-04-2004, 11:48 AM

Where is that crucifix ? For the northen house ? That is my last wuquest help of guys ! :-(

Old 17-04-2004, 10:07 PM

Hello!

Forgive me, Specialboy, Lipp, I may don't give high priority for some small new features you requested... I think when I have serious items in my todo list, then I have to work on them. For example: memory.
And, don't forget, I have to collect todo items for the next version, too! Without this, I could apply modifications until Christmas. The game isn't so simple, I think you can always try new todo items :p

However, I agree with most of your suggestions!

Thank you for your help!

Regards,
Stewe
Ads