All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 17-09-2004, 10:24 PM

redshift is on a distinguished road
do you mean design-time or run-time?

design-time:
personally I would use an own compression, and convert rgb to 12 bit, using rrrrrrrr-gggggggg-bbbbbbbb to 000rrrr-ggggbbbb.
Legacy uses 8bit source images, with a modified png/zlib-like compression.

run-time.
the same, bitmasking. from rgb (above) or 64k (rrrrrggg-gggbbbbb) to 12bit.

I like the 64K colors as inner buffer, since easy to convert (even to 4K, even in real-time), and for example alpha blending, ...

Stewe

Old 24-09-2004, 09:15 PM

earamsey is on a distinguished road
what do you mean by 64K colors as inner buffer and convert to 4K I don't understand what you mean by that. I converted my bitmaps to 0000rrrrgggbbb but the pixels are not displaying at the proper color. I ripped of the leading for bites from each color.

Also, can I have a namespace in symbian and can I insert static data in it, or should I place the static data in a class?

Thank you!
Erica
Quote:
Originally Posted by redshift
do you mean design-time or run-time?

design-time:
personally I would use an own compression, and convert rgb to 12 bit, using rrrrrrrr-gggggggg-bbbbbbbb to 000rrrr-ggggbbbb.
Legacy uses 8bit source images, with a modified png/zlib-like compression.

run-time.
the same, bitmasking. from rgb (above) or 64k (rrrrrggg-gggbbbbb) to 12bit.

I like the 64K colors as inner buffer, since easy to convert (even to 4K, even in real-time), and for example alpha blending, ...

Stewe

Old 24-09-2004, 10:39 PM

This should work... I mean if you use a device with 4K color display.
I use this in Legacy Symbian UIQ, Legacy Nokia Communicator, and Dragonfire Series 60.

I simply like the 64K buffer, because contains more info about colors, but easy to convert to 4K, even getting the r,g,b.
If you plan to work with blending, later, 4K colors won't be enough as intermediate buffer.

Stewe

Quote:
Originally Posted by earamsey
what do you mean by 64K colors as inner buffer and convert to 4K I don't understand what you mean by that. I converted my bitmaps to 0000rrrrgggbbb but the pixels are not displaying at the proper color. I ripped of the leading for bites from each color.

Also, can I have a namespace in symbian and can I insert static data in it, or should I place the static data in a class?

Thank you!
Erica
Ads

Old 24-09-2004, 11:52 PM

earamsey is on a distinguished road
So, I should use EColor64K, instead of EColor4K? Should all of my bitmaps be 64K palette then? I thought that once you set the rrrrgggbbb that was all there's to it; it can only be one color. Do you have any idea why i'm not getting the right colors? for example 0x9C0 is green on pc but's it's darkblue on emulator. Are you saying that I should set the bitmap buffers to EColor64K? When do I do this conversion from 64K to 4K runtime?

Thank you,
I Appreciate your input. By The Way, do you have any infomation on Fixed Point Math on ARM4?

OH yeah, I'm getting my technical publications straight from ARM processor maker for free, goto arm.com and check it out.

Quote:
This should work... I mean if you use a device with 4K color display.
I use this in Legacy Symbian UIQ, Legacy Nokia Communicator, and Dragonfire Series 60.

I simply like the 64K buffer, because contains more info about colors, but easy to convert to 4K, even getting the r,g,b.
If you plan to work with blending, later, 4K colors won't be enough as intermediate buffer.

Stewe

Old 25-09-2004, 12:13 AM

Hello!

The emulator can use 64K color, while on the device, you may have to use 4K color. Can you set the color depth in the emulator? Maybe ini file?

I always get the current color depth, before doing anything.
iEikonEnv->DefaultDisplayMode()
what I use.
if it's EColor4K, then I use the 4K macro, while with EColor64, of course I use the 64K macro.

I can't imagine how could "9c0" mean a darkblue color. You can see the lower bits are all 0, and the blue component always the lowest part.
the "9c0" should mean a strong green in 64K, but a yellow (a greener yellow) in 4K. No blue at all.
If you list some other combinations (I mean XXX looks like blue in emulator but red on pc) we would be able to find a rule

The real-time conversion isn't the best idea, use it when you have to. For example our project: the inner buffer is in 8bit, so I *have* to use a real-time conversion. Slow - would be better in 4K or 64K.

Fixed point math: I don't have too much experience. Now we have a new, full 3D logical game, written by my friend - for Arm. For palm, ppc and symbian. I can't see any special solutions in his code, except the pre-generated sin/cos list and the tricky sqrt.

Stewe

Quote:
Originally Posted by earamsey
So, I should use EColor64K, instead of EColor4K? Should all of my bitmaps be 64K palette then? I thought that once you set the rrrrgggbbb that was all there's to it; it can only be one color. Do you have any idea why i'm not getting the right colors? for example 0x9C0 is green on pc but's it's darkblue on emulator. Are you saying that I should set the bitmap buffers to EColor64K? When do I do this conversion from 64K to 4K runtime?

Thank you,
I Appreciate your input. By The Way, do you have any infomation on Fixed Point Math on ARM4?

OH yeah, I'm getting my technical publications straight from ARM processor maker for free, goto arm.com and check it out.

Old 09-06-2006, 07:10 PM

khumen is on a distinguished road
I need Your help (Full example code of using CfbsScreenDevice on Series 60)

Quote:
Hello!

My example is for Nokia Communicator... on Series 60, I do this:
dScreen=CFbsScreenDevice::NewL(_L(""),iScreenMode) ;
[..skipped..]
------------------------------------------------------------------
Stewe
I need full source example code for Series 60 of use fullscreen with CFbsScreenDevice with offscreen bitmap. Could you e-mail me example.