All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 04-08-2003, 08:22 AM

kobe24 is on a distinguished road
Sending SMS to Contact Groups

I have a problem with the current Messaging application of the 3650. When I add a group recipient, consisting of 200 numbers, the application takes so much time just to place the numbers of each group member in the "To" list. This is when I changed phone number and sent it to my contacts.

for illustration:
Algorithm no.1
ToString = ""
For each COntact member
ToString = ToString + contactmember(i)
Next
Send message...

Algorithm no.2
For each contact member
Send Message, contactmember(i)

Illustration No.1 takes so much time just to append the contact numbers.

This does not work like the e-mail where in you just type the email group then the application only refers to it in the "To" input box as "emailgroup".

There should be a new app just to send messages to contact groups having at least the 2nd algorithm and not the 1st algorithm.

Old 06-08-2003, 02:21 AM

Any developers out there?

Old 06-08-2003, 07:55 AM

N/A is on a distinguished road
I'm sure there are plenty of developers around, but how often do you really SMS 200 people the same message (i.e., is this really a problem worth solving)?

How much would you be willing to pay for such an application? How many customers would there have to be to cover the development cost?

Anyway, even with email, the first algorithm still needs to be done at some point in the sending process. It is done by the mail server or the mail client, depending on the case.

Since the SMS gateway doesn't know who's on your list/group, your phone has to do it anyway. It could be done in the background, though, and isn't now, but again, is it really a big problem worth the effort?

And, if you really, really, really need it, you can always take up a new hobby yourself: programming for Series 60.

Old 06-08-2003, 10:58 AM

mekeni2000 is on a distinguished road
Service...

There are providers that will allow you to create a group. This does not cost a single penny. Once you have created a group, you can instantly send SMS to that group instantly just paying only the one you sent.

Old 06-08-2003, 12:29 PM

N/A is on a distinguished road
Oh, I do believe that with group SMS, most (if not all) operators will actually charge for each and every recipient, instead of just for one message sent. SMS is the most profitable mobile operator revenue stream, and they're not likely to undermine that, if they possibly can.

Old 07-08-2003, 02:16 AM

Well, for ordinary users, not much of a problem.

The thing is, don't you think that the Symbian OS has the capability to replace PALM and WIN CE? In a business point of view, you can not always buy an IPAQ plus a mobile phone to be given to a sales agent. The combination of the mobile phone plus an OS for software (exists in Symbian SERIES 60) allows the business sector to cut costs!