All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 14-05-2003, 08:25 AM
Administrator

langdona is on a distinguished road
N-Gage release details.

Nokia have announced at the the E3 Expo that the N-Gage will be available on the 7th of October. It will cost $299 with games costing between $30 and $40 dollars. More details of games to be available were also announced...

Gamers.com have a good article about the release and general opinions of the device.

Official N-Gage site

Thanks to PMidway for the heads up.

Following is the Nokia press release.

Nokia N-GageTM game deck expands its game portfolio with new interactive titles
May 14, 2003

Nokia announced today new compelling game titles for the Nokia N-GageTM game deck at the annual E3 (Electronic Entertainment Expo) in Los Angeles, California. The Nokia N-Gage is an innovative mobile game deck device that creates an entirely new market for time, place and context sensitive game genres. Built for active and hard-core gamers, the Nokia N-Gage allows for online, mobile, multiplayer game play with today's hottest titles. In addition to gaming, the Nokia N-Gage mobile game deck also features a digital music player (MP3/AAC), stereo FM radio, as well as a tri-band GSM 900/1800/1900 mobile phone.

Several blockbuster launch titles will be available for the Nokia N-Gage. Tomb Raider Starring Lara CroftTM from Eidos has been extended to include such mobile gaming services as advanced wirelessly networked gaming as well as the ability for players to direct, edit and share their own cinematic gameplay sequences over the mobile network. Tom Clancy's Splinter CellTM from Gameloft is the next generation blockbuster adaptation to the Nokia N-Gage, where two players can join together in co-operative mode to solve special situations. Other exciting titles from Gameloft include Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon, Rayman 3 and Marcel Desailly Pro Soccer.

"The Nokia N-Gage is creating a unique entertainment platform for the games industry, together with major game publishers, developers, network operators and service providers. For game developers, the prospect of network aware games, operating over Bluetooth and mobile networks, gives new opportunities for innovation. Working with publishers, including Activision, Eidos, Gameloft, Sega, Taito and THQ, we want to create a game portfolio which not only features something familiar, but also totally new game scenarios that gamers haven't seen before," said Anssi Vanjoki, Executive Vice President, Nokia Mobile Phones. "Mobility is the next big thing in games, and the online elements and services will offer modern ways to consume games and connect with gaming communities."

Nokia is also acting as a game publisher to create branded Nokia N-Gage game titles as part of the evolving games portfolio. Pathway to Glory, an online warfare community and original Nokia title, is due to be released in spring 2004.

The Nokia N-Gage game deck devices and games (sold separately on game cards using the MultiMediaCard standard) will be available to consumers in volumes across five continents in early October 2003. With roughly 20 game titles available for the holiday shopping season, hot new titles will be added on a regular basis. Nokia N-Gage game deck devices and game titles will be available in major retail outlets, game-specific and video game retail outlets, as well as in regular mobile phone delivery channels in all major markets.

The Nokia N-Gage game deck features a high quality color display with backlight, and eight-way direction controller (called the 'Rocker') and an ergonomic design optimized for mobile game play. Games for the Nokia N-Gage game deck, featuring excellent graphics and enhanced sounds, will be sold separately on game cards.

Nokia encourages the games industry to publish and develop innovative new concepts for the Nokia N-Gage game deck. Game developers interested in learning more about the Nokia N-Gage game deck, including submitting information about applications for the Nokia N-Gage and other Nokia devices and platforms, can find more information at www.forum.nokia.com/games.

About N-Gage:
Please visit www.n-gage.com for the Nokia N-Gage game portfolio, key features, photos and E3 webcast

About Nokia
Nokia is the world leader in mobile communications. Backed by its experience, innovation, user-friendliness and reliable solutions, the company has become the leading supplier of mobile phones and a leading supplier of mobile, fixed broadband and IP networks. By adding mobility to the Internet Nokia creates new opportunities for companies and further enriches the daily lives of people. Nokia is a broadly held company with listings on six major exchanges.

Further information:
Nokia Corporation
Nokia Mobile Phones
Communications
Tel: +358 7180 08000
Nokia.mobile.phones@nokia.com
www.nokia.com

*Notice to US Consumers:
This device has not been authorized as required by the rules of the Federal Communications Commission. This device is not, and may not be, offered for sale or lease, or sold or leased, in the United States until authorization is obtained.

Old 14-05-2003, 08:44 AM
Ye Olde Administratorium

Ewan is a splendid one to beholdEwan is a splendid one to beholdEwan is a splendid one to beholdEwan is a splendid one to beholdEwan is a splendid one to beholdEwan is a splendid one to behold
Ewan Spence and FreEPOC have announced on AAS that Vexed for the Nokia N-Gage will be available on the 7th of October. It will cost nothing (freeware release) with extra level packs freely available as "Over the Air" downloads.
-- Twitter: @ewan

Old 14-05-2003, 03:59 PM
Super Moderator

GhostDog will become famous soon enough
This is good news(Both,N-Gage and Vexed ),the price is a big suprise to me,i was expecting something above 400 USD,smart move by Nokia.

Please don't PM me with something that belongs in the forums.Search first,then ask.

Old 14-05-2003, 05:11 PM
Prodigal Symbiant

TANKERx is on a distinguished road
It does look like a very sexy device and it shows the superior flexibility of the Symbian platform. It should do well, especially considering the very reasonable price (reasonable for what you get - a Games Console, an FM Radio, A video player, Bluetooth multiplayer options.... oh, and a cellphone!).

I am fascinated by the way it's used as a phone though. Sideways on!? And I thought the 9210 took a bit of getting used to!

TANKERx

Mobile Phone History
Nec D10
Ericsson i888 World -> N'7110 -> Sony J5e
N'9210 -> N'7650
SPV -> MPx200
N'6260 -> N'6680 -> N'N70 -> N'E61 -> N'N73

Old 14-05-2003, 06:49 PM
Super Moderator

SwitchBlade is on a distinguished road
I agree that the N-Gage will be odd to use, but I can honestly say I never had any trouble getting used to the 9210s method, in fact it came naturally.
A weekly science fiction serial by me, written on a 9500/E90.
Ads

Old 14-05-2003, 07:14 PM

Roberto is on a distinguished road
Softwares to the N-Gage

It is only me ? Why nobody says that there are already hundreds of softwares (100 or 200 games) for the Series 60, including the N-Gage ? The news from Nokia allows one to think that there is just 10 or 20 softwares to the N-Gage. It is partially right, as these softwares will be specific to the N-Gage.

Best regards,

Roberto

Old 14-05-2003, 07:35 PM
Administrator

Your right most series 60 software should run on the N-Gage!

However the 10-20 games refer to N-Gage specific software that comes on a secure MMC card. This will be the fancy stuff like Tomb Raider and Sonic. Apparently they wont work in other series 60 devices :(. I've played with one and it seems to work well. However I'm not convinced about having to take the battery out to change an MMC based game.

Old 14-05-2003, 08:04 PM
Super Moderator

GhostDog will become famous soon enough
Well,they SHOULD,but the problem is that many of the programs that worked flawlessly on the 7650 needed to be patched,fixed in order to work on the 3650,mainly it was a problem to get them to work from the MMC.Some of them still dont work as they should or at all on the 3650.

Anyway,even if problems do occur with some apps,i guess that the process of patching/fixing them will not be dificult.

Please don't PM me with something that belongs in the forums.Search first,then ask.

Old 15-05-2003, 06:56 PM
Administrator

There is a interview "Nokia's Ilkka Raiskinen in conversation with gi.biz" here. It's worth a read.

Old 24-01-2008, 04:39 PM

massbuilder is on a distinguished road
Beer

$299 sounds like a good price to me.