All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 07-07-2007, 08:37 AM

shuurajou is on a distinguished road
Nokia N95 Product Codes Supporting ALS (i.e. Line 2)

Hi All,

For the longest time I've always seen debates about whether Nokia devices support ALS. As part of my job, I'm required to have Line 2 (I work for Orange). So far, this has forced me to keep a branded device with Orange UK. I had an N80 with Orange, debranded it, lost ALS... I had to use a different phone after that, which was a shame.

Now I will have the N95, I would love to debrand it, but I need the ALS functionality retained. I know for a fact that the Orange UK network uses 100% certified ALS standards, so you shouldn't need Orange firmware to recognise it, if Nokia generic firmware supports ALS (some product codes to it seems, some don't). I have a SIM FREE Sony Ericsson M600i that recognises my ALS provided by Orange.

My understanding with the N95 in particular, is that only certain product codes seem to support ALS. Let's forget about the hash key shortcut for changing the line, as long as the functionality is retained and you can do it via a menu or such, then that is supporting ALS.

So, my question to the masses... what generic produce codes out there, support ALS?

Old 07-07-2007, 09:12 AM

srw985 is on a distinguished road
I dont know if the generic firmware has ALS, but I assumed it would be possible to "rebrand" by changing product code back and re-installing with NSU if it doesnt?

Aslong as latest generic and latest branded firmware are at the same version with NSU

Anyone else know for sure?

Old 07-07-2007, 10:47 AM

I've not known of anybody trying to rebrand their devices. I wonder if it's possible to rebrand to an older branded version if you've already updated to v12 generic. It's a given the branded version will be older.

I've heard '0548364' has ALS - the person who advised this bought the device SIM free from Carphone Warehouse. Fully unlocked, and fully unbranded.

According to the product code list here, that product code is 'CPW GRAPHITE UK 02' - so the question is, is it actually an 02 branded device, or is it Car Phone Warehouses generic one they sell with various contracts?

Old 08-07-2007, 05:55 PM

I've had confirmation from 2 people now that the product code 0548364 supports ALS. This product code seems to be a product code specific to the SIM free Nokia N95's that Carphone Warehouse sell.

Old 28-01-2008, 10:36 PM

bitboy0 is on a distinguished road
Has anyone tried to install this on an phone without ALS? In my case the NSU works fine but I still did not get the ALS feature! It justs switches between regular and noisless mode... if I press [#] for long ... In the menü there is nothing about second ringtone as it was in my old phones (3360/3230/...)

HELP
Ads

Old 28-01-2008, 11:14 PM

Steve_R is on a distinguished road
Are you 100% sure you have used the code given above? Also is it an N95-1 or the 8GB? The code above is for the N95-1 not the 8GB

Frustrated Nokia fan, running an old skool E71

Follow Me on Twitter

Old 28-01-2008, 11:17 PM

Steve_R is on a distinguished road
Also, I take it you are on Orange with Line2? Otherwise it wont change if there isnt another line to change to.......

Frustrated Nokia fan, running an old skool E71

Follow Me on Twitter

Old 29-01-2008, 07:51 AM

Hi Steve,

Originally my phone (N95-1) comes from eplus-germany ... I changed the PC and - yes! If I open NSS I can see that exact code as product code. I tried several codes which should have ALS ... After changing the code I start the NSU ... depending on the PC it loads some more files from Nokia and flashes fine.

All it dosen't do after all is providing the ALS to me!

All my prior NOKIA's do change to the second line with my eplus-SIM ... even at the good old times where I don't had a second line. At this old times I just couldn't make outgoing calls if I accidently changed to it.

Is it possible that different providers need to have different kinds of ALS ? Maybe I do need another PC for eplus than you need for Orange?

cu

Last edited by bitboy0; 29-01-2008 at 08:02 AM.

Old 29-01-2008, 10:33 AM

As I figured out now:

There is a part of the Firmware called "ARL" ... this can NOT be installed from NSU! I have to find out which NSC can do that... AFTER THAT I have to use one of the given PC's and THAN it works!

Therfore one who's mobile lost its ALS after Update can restored if the correct ProductCode is flashed again but A phone without the ARL-Software in the Flash can't get the feature anyway!

cu

Old 16-05-2008, 11:00 AM

marmite is on a distinguished road
Very interested in this thread!

But I have N82, but same issues..

I'm seeking to upgrade to generic firmware with ALS support ('cos I have line 2 on Orange).

Anyone know N82 generic PC that supports ALS?
Anyone done it and retained there ALS support?
The whole reason I want to do this is that Orange have crippled the phone and removed VoIP features?! grrr..