All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 01-01-2010, 06:18 PM

Syrinx is on a distinguished road
Question Nokia 5530 - N00b questions about Nokia Messaging, Ovi Store, Ovi Suite, and PC Suite

Hello,

Got a Nokia 5530 a few days ago. It's my first "smartphone", although I've owned other Nokia regular handsets before.

I got Nokia Messaging working, but it was cumbersome. I thought Nokia Messaging would show up as an application, but it's kind of hidden when you set it up. At least, if you display e-mail on the home screen, you have access to your e-mail.

I also downloaded (from the 5530's interface) and installed some Ovi Store applications, but now, every time I try downloading one, I get "download failed."

I installed Nokia PC Suite and Ovi Suite. They both appear to be able to sync data, but only PC Suite appears to install applications to the 5530. What else is Ovi Suite good for, other than syncing? Also, how can I install Ovi Store applications from the PC? Is this possible somehow? When I access the Ovi Store on the Web, I can only send a text to my phone.

Should I just restore factory settings on my 5530 and start over?

Sorry for so many questions! I figure I have a better shot here than on Nokia's Discussion Forums.

Old 17-01-2010, 06:55 PM

mob453 is on a distinguished road
so many questions,

what memory are you installing apps to, phone memory or memory card.

I would not do a factory reset as 5530 has a keyguard bug, that can only be solved by a reflash
Ads

Old 17-01-2010, 07:17 PM
Founder / Chief

Rafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of light
You only need one of Ovi Suote or PC Suite - one will 'take over' .sis (install files) from the other. However both can install files. Ovi Suite has some extra functionality for photo and music sync. Aside from this there functionality is very similar - indeed they access the same 'helper' applications.

Not sure what is up with Ovi Store downloads - I assume you have tried rebooting the phone. You can also try accessing the store via store.ovi.mobi. You may be able to uninstall and then re-install Ovi Store (visit mobile site to re-install).

Nokia Messaging should have its own icon on the applications screen. Can't remember exactly what it looks like / where it on the 5530.

Old 21-01-2010, 06:08 PM

mob453 is on a distinguished road
Just had the same issue with Ovi Store, and it hung my Application Manager, had to clear it up by deleting the failed downloaded sis from the memory card using the File Manager under Applications

this was on my nokia 5530 with firmware 20.0.80

Old 21-02-2011, 01:20 PM

jatoi786 is on a distinguished road
brothers.
I have a problem in my nokia 5530.
My messaging is very slow.
As i click on "Reply" it takes alm0st 10-15 seconds to open the writing screen.
When i click on "send" it takes m0re than 15seconds to transfer it to outbox.
What should i do? Can any one help please.
Thanx in advance.