All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 07-08-2009, 03:19 PM
Administrator

Tzer2 is on a distinguished road
How to install Ovi Store on the Nokia 5800 XpressMusic

The Ovi Store application is available on quite a number of Nokia phones, including the Nokia 5800 XpressMusic. We've done a brief video (embedded below) which shows how to find and install Ovi Store on the Nokia 5800, either through the "Download!" icon or by visiting the Ovi Store website on the phone's browser. You may also be interested in our videos on how to install Ovi Store on the Nokia N95, and how to use the Ovi Store application.

Read on in the full article.

Old 08-08-2009, 05:31 PM

RogerPodacter is on a distinguished road
The question is what happened to all of the items that used to be available for free in the download folder? Nokia did not even plan things out because you cannot get back the free stuff like zip manager and pdf viewer!

Its not available in the ovi store and download folder is now empty. Good job nokia, way to plan things out. /sarcasm

And try my hardest i cannot find a zip manager for s60v5 ANYWHERE! Its much more limiting than you might think. At least once a day i download an app or whatever that i cannot open. And i'm not near a pc.

Old 08-08-2009, 05:42 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerPodacter View Post
The question is what happened to all of the items that used to be available for free in the download folder? Nokia did not even plan things out because you cannot get back the free stuff like zip manager and pdf viewer!
Nokia don't make the zip manager or PDF viewer, so it's nothing to do with Nokia whether they're available or not. If the publishers of those apps want to make them available for free in Ovi Store, there's nothing to stop them doing so.

If you want a piece of third party software, try contacting the third party publisher who owns the rights to it.

The only thing Nokia has any control of are its own first party apps, which doesn't include any ZIP or PDF viewers AFAIK.

Quote:
Its not available in the ovi store and download folder is now empty. Good job nokia, way to plan things out. /sarcasm
As I said above, Nokia's got no control over third party software. If you want to blame someone, blame the publisher.

Old 09-08-2009, 12:16 PM

jpwbamber is on a distinguished road
What frustrates me is that ovi store is absent from my Download!

I have checked frequently since the launch of ovi store and refreshed content each time but it is still not available in my Download! as of August 9th. I am in UK on t-mobile with unlocked Nokia5800 v21.0.025 Product Code 0579934.

It seems that the contents of Download! are highly variable some phones have lots of entries some phones have very few entries. The fewest entries are found in Downlload! if you start the phone without the Sim and then go to Download! using wifi. Who controls what is in Download! ?

The only way I was able to download ovi store for my 5800 was to browse to http://store.ovi.com/ on the S60 browser and then I found a link to download ovi store. What frustrates me is that "ovi store" is not found if you do a search for ovi store within browser ovi store.

Old 09-08-2009, 01:17 PM
Administrator

Jpwbamber, the contents of "Download!" have always been highly variable depending on where you access it and which model you have. It's always been very confusing and frustrating, indeed part of the point of Ovi Store is to replace Download with something that's more standard.

As for installing the Ovi Store app, yes, if you can't find it on Download then the thing to do is access store.ovi.com or store.ovi.mobi on your phone's browser and you should see a download link there instead.

I agree they ought to have the Ovi Store app download link on the front page of every Download version, but on the other hand maybe this is still part of the soft launch. Maybe they want to fix various bugs before pushing the service fully?

Old 09-08-2009, 01:29 PM

Hih is on a distinguished road
Sorry again!

AAS=OVI

Shape up guys! lol

Old 09-08-2009, 02:11 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Sorry again!

AAS=OVI

Shape up guys! lol
What exactly are you trying to say?

This article was posted on Ovi Gaming, and crossposted to All About Symbian because the 5800 is a Symbian device.
Ads

Old 10-08-2009, 04:30 PM

RogerPodacter is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzer2 View Post
Nokia don't make the zip manager or PDF viewer, so it's nothing to do with Nokia whether they're available or not. If the publishers of those apps want to make them available for free in Ovi Store, there's nothing to stop them doing so.

If you want a piece of third party software, try contacting the third party publisher who owns the rights to it.

The only thing Nokia has any control of are its own first party apps, which doesn't include any ZIP or PDF viewers AFAIK.

As I said above, Nokia's got no control over third party software. If you want to blame someone, blame the publisher.

then can you please direct me to the manufacturer website where i can get zip manager? the one that came free with my 5800? i need this badly!

Old 10-08-2009, 05:51 PM
Administrator

Quote:
then can you please direct me to the manufacturer website where i can get zip manager? the one that came free with my 5800? i need this badly!
Zip Manager is made by Epocware, but for some reason they don't seem to offer it on their own website!

You could try contacting them to ask about this, they may be able to help or at least shed some light on the situation:

http://www.epocware.com/company/Contact_us.html

A few more things you could try:

-Select the "software update" icon on the phone itself, it should be in the Applications folder. This sometimes gives you the option of installing apps that came with the phone (it doesn't work with all apps but it's worth a try).

OR

-Try Download again and refresh the content, explore and refresh the sub-folders too. It's possible Zip Manager is back there again. I just checked on my 5800 and it has Zip Manager available through Download, but like you said there is tremendous variation in Download between different countries.

OR

-Reinstall the firmware on your phone using the PC Software Updater application (make sure you back stuff up first). I don't know if this will help, but it might be worth a try if nothing else works.