All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Series 60

Old 12-05-2010, 10:20 AM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
How to: Use Google Reader to deliver podcasts to S60

Nokia's Podcasting is a wonderful media consumption tool. But, aside from its own somewhat limited 'Directory', Nokia doesn't make it simple to get new podcasts into Podcasting's feed 'system'. In this tutorial, David Gilson looks at way of using Google reader on your desktop computer to harvest interesting podcasts and import their feeds into your smartphone.

Read on in the full article.
Ads

Old 12-05-2010, 11:10 AM
Unregistered

Nice Article

Nicely done guys, just need to make the effort now to try it out.

Cheers

C.
http://irelandstechnologyblog.blogspot.com/

Old 12-05-2010, 03:03 PM
Unregistered

Lightbulb don't import the opml file, subscribe to it as a directory.

In podcasting, go to directories, options > new > web directory.

Add a url like this:

http://www.google.com/reader/public/subscriptions/user/<your google reader id>/label/podcasts?foo=.opml

Then when you add feeds to that label, you just need to update the directory in podcasting rather than copying a new opml file across.

The ?foo=.opml is because nokia podcasting can't cope with a directory url that doesn't end in .opml

Old 12-05-2010, 03:29 PM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
What a great tip! Didn't know that. And can't thank you because you didn't sign in!

Old 12-05-2010, 03:29 PM

davidgilson is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
In podcasting, go to directories, options > new > web directory.

Add a url like this:

http://www.google.com/reader/public/subscriptions/user/<your google reader id>/label/podcasts?foo=.opml

Then when you add feeds to that label, you just need to update the directory in podcasting rather than copying a new opml file across.

The ?foo=.opml is because nokia podcasting can't cope with a directory url that doesn't end in .opml
That is an awesome addition, thank you. You should register so you can get credit for this one.

I've just checked it out, and there's a couple of extra instructions I'll add for readers.

If like me, your Google Reader ID is not the same as your Google Mail address. For most people it will be, although after the privacy debacle with Google Buzz's launch some of us rejected the custom URL that Google gives. That being the case, the ID number on your Google profile is not the same as your Google Reader ID.

To get your Google Reader ID number, click on your shared items, then look at the links in the section above your list of shared items, and there'll be a link called "Sharing settings". Click that and on the page you get, there'll be another link, towards the end, that says "Preview your shared items page in a new window". Click that, and you'll see your Google Reader ID number as part of the URL.

That's the number you want to put in to the URL that Mr. Unregistered gave us. Also, it is case sensitive, so if your podcast folder starts with a capital P, then you need to adjust the tag in the URL accordingly.

Thanks again for that, I shall use that in the future!

Old 12-05-2010, 03:38 PM

Jimmy1 is on a distinguished road
Or, you could just use iTunes or the Zune software as your desktop podcatcher, go into the file system and drag and drop your podcasts into your Nokia's podcast folder.

Old 12-05-2010, 03:42 PM

davidgilson is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy1 View Post
Or, you could just use iTunes or the Zune software as your desktop podcatcher, go into the file system and drag and drop your podcasts into your Nokia's podcast folder.
I used to something similar; downloading podcasts with Miro, and then using rsync to sync podcasts onto my phone. There's something to be said for not depending on the mother ship all the time though.