All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Series 60

Old 21-05-2009, 06:37 AM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
Google Calendar sync at last - but through Microsoft Exchange

Google has announced that their new Google Sync for Mobile now supports S60 phones. You can now synchronize your Google Contacts and Calendars, but not via SyncML, rather disappointingly. Instead, sync has been implemented as a profile for Nokia Mail for Exchange, which has to be installed separately. The advantage of using MfE is that it's based on push technology, meaning that changes should automatically appear at either 'end' within minutes, i.e. your information is constantly up-to-date.

Read on in the full article.

Old 21-05-2009, 09:36 AM

shadamehr is on a distinguished road
Angry SINGLE Main Calendar ONLY!

BE ADVISED:

Despite being stated on the actual NOKIA instructions page (see - http://www.google.com/mobile/nokia_smart/sync.html ),

...That MULTIPLE Calendar support is now possible:

"Get calendar alerts. Using your Nokia's native calendar, you can now access multiple Google calendars, and be alerted for upcoming appointments with sound or vibration. "

...This is NOT TRUE however, if the "Known Beta Limitations for Symbian" are correct: http://www.google.com/support/mobile...&answer=147950

...Where it clearly warns you:

"Google Sync allows you to sync your main account calendar to your Nokia/Symbian phone. You cannot sync multiple calendars at this time."

So for those like me, that include partner's Calendar, and the kids basic version, so I know what I am meant to be doing at any given time, then despite Google now claiming that for the Symbian Beta, MULTIPLE Calendar Sync is now possible, their "Known Issues" page flies in the face of this, and said you CANNOT sync MULTIPLE Calendars yet.

Doh to Google for the left contradicting the right...

So for now I need to stick with the PAID FOR version of GooSync...

Ads

Old 21-05-2009, 12:01 PM

shadamehr is on a distinguished road
Thumbs down

-----------------

And even after spending half the morning backing up my contacts first using PC Suite, downloading and installing Mail for Exchange, and then setting up the Sync Profile, to do a Contacts only, none-calendar based sync, it was still a waste of time...

First up, it would not connect at all, using my network's real 3G connection.

And then even changing it to Wi-Fi, it connected, synced across EIGHT random contacts from my 548 contacts on my phone, and then gave up the ghost thinking it was finished and done.

Any further attempts at syncing did nothing more, or alternatively, gave Connection/System Error messages.

So I think I will be waiting a LONG time yet, until this is mature enough to be used, on what is by very nature of definition, a Data Essential area.

Old 21-05-2009, 01:41 PM
Arie Beukenoot

SyncML, IMAP and MfE

When you are using s60 and want to sync all your Google services, you have to use 3 different connections for 3 different services.
1) You must use SyncML for syncing Google Contacts.
2) I prefer using IMAP for Gmail but the tutorials here on AAS show a number of different ways on using Gmail.
3) JUST for syncing your CALENDAR you can use mail for exchange. I tested this today and except for a "password incorrect" message that pops up sometimes it seems to work pretty good.

Old 21-05-2009, 06:05 PM
Unregistered

Timezones

Am I the only one getting timezone issues? My all day-events are out by one hour, making them 24 hour long events spanning 2 days, rather than Nokia 'memos'. I suspect it's because when on daylight savings, the Nokia timezone is set to GMT+1, whereas Google always identifies the timezone as simply GMT. This is so lame...

Old 21-05-2009, 07:20 PM
Unregistered

It doesn't seem to work on E75 for now, u can retrieve contacts from google contacts via remote search, but not sync to it via mail for exchange method as explained.

yes, u can do it via the Syncml method, but that isn't explained properly. Is SyncML supposed to be used or is this new MFE method supposed to replace the SyncML method?

As Arie Beukenoot puts it, this is really very troublesome just to sync contacts/calender entries.

Old 22-05-2009, 12:48 PM

privatesam is on a distinguished road
This has been up for a few days and causing people major headaches. Please see this thread for problem logging and solution (a google engineer is watching this thread): http://www.google.com/support/forum/...1102f40a&hl=en

Old 22-05-2009, 12:50 PM

ebeneezerc is on a distinguished road
Alpha - not Beta???

Doesn't seem to work at all (not even very well) as it keeps coming up with Password Incorrect even though it is definitely correct. Ah well, perhaps in a year's time

Old 23-05-2009, 05:29 AM
Unregistered

Doesn't this need Exchange?

I use Google Calendar, and this would be very useful... but doesn't this solution require an Exchange Server? For a home/personal user, this seems like overkill... SyncML would be better, and google's instructions on setting that up seem to leave a lot to be desired...

Old 23-05-2009, 06:56 PM
Unregistered

NAM 5800XM so far...

Just installed the Mail for Exchange client and easily created the google profile as listed. And it work just fine after syncing the first time. NOTE, if it helps: on the conflict resolution option make sure the phone wins; that way none of your entries get erased on your phone during syncs. Only drawback so far is not all contact fields are supported on Google, so birthdays are not recorded on google. Otherwise pics and multiple emails work. Not bad for a beta, just hope more support is given to the Symbian community; considering it's bigger than the iphone and android community.

Old 24-05-2009, 10:31 AM
Unregistered

Pretty horrible

This is a pretty horrible solution to calendar syncing, isn't it? I've not managed to get it to work once yet, it requires a huge piece of software to be installed for a very small amount of functionality, and the setup is far from simple.

I've tried my e-mail address with @googlemail, I've tried it with @gmail (the latter at least lets it connect, the former always fails), but then I get 'Unable to synchronise with server. Try again later' in the log. This happens every time - a very poor effort from Google.

Old 25-05-2009, 05:00 AM
Unregistered

what if you already use MfE?

I use MfE for my work email account and so can't add another acccount to it? What to do?

Old 30-05-2009, 01:49 PM

psheldrake is on a distinguished road
Arie Beukenoot is spot on, unfortunately.

I get an E75 for me (big open fan) and my wife gets the proprietary closed stack that is the iPhone. We have email, contacts and calendar sync'ing with gmail on the iPhone in 10 minutes. Two days later, I'm still trying to get it done on the E75. "Normal" punters won't put up with this, which I guess is evidenced by iPhone sales.

So after much trial and error, it seems:

Gmail email needs Nokia Messaging service (which could become a paid for service according to the terms of service)

Gmail contacts needs the S60 sync process
http://www.google.com/support/mobile...y?answer=98230

Gmail calendar needs Mail For Exchange, as painful as that process is given that Nokia chose to redesign the whole interface for the E75 versus earlier E series.
http://www.google.com/support/mobile...?answer=147951

Crazy situation.

Old 18-07-2009, 10:03 AM
Unregistered

solution

Hey did you find a solution for the calender?

Old 21-02-2010, 07:01 PM
dzid_

Exclamation Multiple calendars

If you want multiple google calendars to be synchronised with Nokia there is a solution for it - https://www.nuevasync.com/