All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > UIQ

Old 10-02-2009, 12:16 AM
Founder / Chief

Rafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of light
Google Sync Beta for SyncML (S60) phones

Google today launched the beta of its new Google Sync service for mobile phones. The service, which is free, allows you to synchronise data between your phone and Google's web services. This, for example, allows you to synchronise the contacts on your phone with the contacts data used by Google's GMail. All recent S60 and UIQ phones are supported through the use of SyncML. However currently only the synching of contacts is supported. Read on for more details.

Read on in the full article.

Old 10-02-2009, 12:56 AM
Founder / Chief

Rafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of light
If you're looking for a way to automate SyncML synchronisations then you should check out Swim (http://code.google.com/p/bergamot/wiki/Swim). You will need to Symbian Sign this application yourself though (main reason I didn't;t include it in the main text).

S60 5th Edition (5800) does make reference to automatic sync in its help files, but I can't see this in the actual Sync application / settings. Possibly the feature didn't make into the final version.

Old 10-02-2009, 04:43 AM
Unregistered

Contacts database on N85

hello, I wanted to know what to put in the aforementioned field, the Google Help doc doesn't mention this field and its required, I guess on fp1 does not have this field. thanks

Old 10-02-2009, 10:18 AM

dougalzene is on a distinguished road
Working pretty well but verify your syncs as it took out primary email addresses from two contacts which had more than one address. I have 300+ contacts, about 20 of which have more than one email address.

It's much easier to verify if, once you're reasonably happy that it's not deleting everything (and you've backed up too), to do a Nokia PC Sync with Outlook and look at that log.

Last edited by dougalzene; 10-02-2009 at 10:21 AM.

Old 10-02-2009, 10:40 AM

matchstick is on a distinguished road
So why does the Google Sync for Blackberry, iPhone and Windows mobile support syncing Contacts AND Calendar but Symbian only get Contacts ?

Surely if it's all SyncML based it should work the same on every phone ?

Old 10-02-2009, 11:45 AM
Founder / Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
hello, I wanted to know what to put in the aforementioned field, the Google Help doc doesn't mention this field and its required, I guess on fp1 does not have this field. thanks
You put contacts - it mentioned in step 6 of the instructions.

iPhone and Windows Mobile are using ActiveSync for the Sync because there SyncML support (the open standard) is poor or non-existent. As I noted I would assume ActiveSync support will be added for S60 (it would probably work now if you could guess the settings) shortly. That's when you'll get Calendar support. Why Google couldn't do this from the start is a bit strange.

Old 10-02-2009, 04:39 PM

shadamehr is on a distinguished road
Thumbs down

-
MAJOR issues with this for many users...

As reported on various Google Support Forums, whereby it fails part way through, with an "Invalid Host Address" message:

ARTICLE 1 Google Support

ARTICLE 2 Google Support

The issue is that it fails at a random point (but clearly based on a data limit getting hit), which seemed strange to me, until I found "ARTICLE 2" above, which indicates it relates to a Buffer Overun error.

As such, the user discovering this, 'capdog', seems to be blaming NOKIA as the culprit, which seems rather strange, as all my other syncml syncs work fine, and I use Ovi, Gsync, GooSync, and Nokia Maps, as well as others suck as Mobyko et al - and they all work fine, so strange Nokia is to blame, if it's only affecting Google Contacts syncs?.

But he reckons:

"I found what "Nokia has a buffer overrun issue in their sync software and they are overwriting / destroying the SyncML data with essentially garbage:
<SourceRef>4.nf|f0|NT`z&$ n</SourceRef>
In some cases one of the garbage characters are an XML entity character. When that happens the XML document can not be parsed and the sync is aborted (HTTP connection terminated). The phone will then give an error like 'Invalid Host Address'. "

So bear in mind, that for those of you with any reasonable amount of contacts, this still seems to be NOT WORKING yet...
-

Old 10-02-2009, 06:28 PM
Unregistered

n95 experience

setup this sync on my n95 and it seems to be working fine. one problem i noticed is, if i delete a contact in one place (say n95) and the other side i can still see the contact even after sync !

but if i update a contact (adding more info like phone no etc.,) thats updating both ways.

Old 10-02-2009, 10:30 PM

Thumbs down

Quote:
setup this sync on my n95 and it seems to be working fine. one problem i noticed is, if i delete a contact in one place (say n95) and the other side i can still see the contact even after sync !

but if i update a contact (adding more info like phone no etc.,) thats updating both ways.
If true, another "not much use" case. No point sync'ing, if it doesn't actually "sync" any changes, or deletions *lol*

But I cannot even say if it is true, because of the Issue above for those who's contact list is data heavy...

Also,

BEAR IN MIND ANOTHER POSSIBLE ISSUE...

On the same Google Support Forums, many many people now, are stating that for a Contact entry on the phone where they have two mobile numbers, when they do a Sync, BOTH numbers get copied over to the Google side of things, BUT, the phone then gets stripped to just ONE number for that contact.

The same is also being reported for those entires with more than one Email address on the Phone Contact entry.

So in my view, still a long way to go for this, if it is (a) subject to a mjor bug that makes it not even possible to sync for many, and (b) is potentially highly "data-destructive" if you have multiple numbers or emails etc for any contact in your phone!

Be Advised!

Old 12-02-2009, 08:26 PM
Unregistered

Google said they don't support ActiveSync for MfE. But I tried it on E71 with the instructions they had for iPhone. And it worked both for contacts and calendar.

Old 17-02-2009, 02:53 AM
Unregistered

ActiveSync for e71

Can you explain how you set sync up for syncing your google calendars on the e71? I'm not sure which remote database name to use.

Old 17-02-2009, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Can you explain how you set sync up for syncing your google calendars on the e71? I'm not sure which remote database name to use.
See post numbers 5 and 6 above.

Short answer is, YOU DON'T.

Exactly like this entire article says.

They have released CONTACTS Sync.

It states all over this thread that this is the case.

NOT Calendar Sync direct to Google.

If you want Calendar Sync to Google, use something like GooSync like I do.

The free version lets you do one single Calendar, up to 30 days ahead.

The paid for version, that I use, allows me to do the whole family's calendars to my phone, and any period you wish ahead or in the past.

But the free version itself will allow up to one month in the future.

But please read posts properly.

Hope this helps and is not rude though. Good luck

Old 26-03-2009, 09:16 AM
Unregistered

How to sync calendar!

Install "Mail for Exchange", download from this site:
wwwdot businesssoftware.nokia.com/mail_for_exchange_downloads.php
I believe it works for almost all Symbian S60 phones.

Enter m.google.com as the server address.
Leave the Domain field empty.

Enable only calendar.

Old 26-04-2009, 11:54 AM

david_e51 is on a distinguished road
CalSyncS60

So far this is the best solution i have found to sync your S60 calendar with Google:

http://s60addons.com/calsync/

Old 28-11-2009, 04:05 PM

joshuafrfld701 is on a distinguished road
i-Phone and Windows Mobile are using Active Sync for the Sync because there Sync Ml support (the open standard) is poor or non-existent. As I noted I would assume Active Sync support will be added for S60 (it would probably work now if you could guess the settings) shortly. That's when you'll get Calendar support. Why Google couldn't do this from the start is a bit strange.