All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 28-08-2009, 11:57 AM

sjdean is on a distinguished road
Hang on clocky, you aint got one thing right. You just jumped in head first.

None of what you've said sounds right. All I've said is it's not anybodies place to decide what tools I may or may not need to do my job. If I feel I need a GPS then I need a GPS and it's not up to you to decide that I can do it on paper or that I should be able to afford a backup unit. Remember, never assume.

Issue two is your rasping that Im a whiny clucking tantrum throwing two year old because I've quite simply made a complaint and vented my frustration at the lack of customer care from Nokia.

Your backup anecdotes are further meaningless as everyone has things that they rely upon but don't have backups (toothbrushes, irons, cars, computers, computer screens, video cards, printers). It's complete fantasy and the only reason we make backup data is because data is easy to backup and largely inexpensive, plus as well as pure hardware failures, you also have data corruption.

You further assert that I am not in control of my life, unlike you, when someone gives you a duff piece of hardware, you do as they say and go out and buy another one.

I see you seem display almost classic troll like tendencies, throw around accusations and then snip away and never address the argument you've made - almost in a vein attempt to make your opponent look out of their depth, deranged and angry. Good for you. You found out where backspace is.

Besides which, when did I say I can't LIVE without the device? I said I couldn't do my job without the device due to some of the locations I've visited. Maybe I could manage, I don't know. It's a grey area. But Im not about to spend more money on my job. Pff. Anyhow I do have my old N95 spare. I don't see why I should be expected to use it though. I paid 500 for a high end N97, I expect it to work and if there is a problem, I don't expect to be inconvenienced.

Quite why you think inconvenience is acceptable is another guess.

Anyhow... you've inconvenienced me enough for one day. Im quite happy to draw a line under it, but Im guessing you'll come back for more and tell me how wrong I am again for not wanting to part with extra cash. For someone "not obsessed", Im curious why you keep responding to my post directly (bearing in mind Im just responding to YOUR direct messages)?

<plonk>
Ads

Old 28-08-2009, 01:38 PM

ClockworkZombie is an unknown quantity at this point
You have got to be kidding.

Go to page one. I know it was a loooong time ago. you probably just forgot. nevermind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjdean View Post
I do think it stinks that you have to send a mobile phone back for repair without being offered a loan phone as cover.

Don't know about anybody else, but I rely on the phone for GPS amongst other things and couldn't live without it. But of course the internal GPS needs to be fixed etc on mine. Can I be without the phone for two weeks?

Erm, not really no.

I have no other alternative to do my job.
Perhaps you have different values to me. I do not believe data is cheap, for example, businesses have gone under for the lack of a backup. If your accounting data goes how do you know how much you are owed by customers and whom are they, because as sure as hell is a mantrap, your creditors will be asking for money and given the shoddy bills I have seen in the past it could cost you a lot of money. In the meantime your debtors will be hanging on to their money.

I back up data because it can be too expensive to recover if I do not. Even if you assume all the paper records are available someone will have to paid to enter them back into an accounting package of some sort. Time as you should know is money, how much time do you need to rebuild a computer put all the data back on it, install apps an make sure it is working as before? Things we can buy "off the shelf" with a minimum of effort are things that I would not keep a copy or backup such as a toothbrush. As I work with computers if my work machine dies and cannot be fixed I break one out of stock, restore from backup and keep on going.

The last time I had a problem I was up and running after fixing a power supply failure with my spare power supply in 45 minutes.

I am not asserting you are not in control of your life just saying with planning you have greater control over your life and are less likely to be at the mercy of random chance such as a faulty GPS or dead power supply.

If I were in your shoes I would have sent my phone away and used my previous phone, which I put away with its charger, and kept on going.

I might have a moan about it on a forum such as this but it would only be an inconvenience tinged with disappointment as I did so.

There are one thing we DO agree on, I too would expect any high end equipment such a phone to usually work without issues, that said as you should know any mass production line produces the odd failure, and sometimes lots of failures, it is unfortunate that yours did not properly fail during the period you could have asked for a replacement.

My point about inconvenience was that you seem to be arguing it is preferable to be inconvenienced as opposed to having a backup piece of gear and getting on with things.

After all this acrimony, you have an N95 you could use whilst the N97 was sent in for repair but refused? WOW.

Old 28-08-2009, 02:00 PM

ClockworkZombie is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by celios View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ona-RhLfRfc

"The next time we interact I am sure it will not be so painful for either of us"...
For a moment I thought you were going to post this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9V7zbWNznbs&feature=fvsr

Old 28-08-2009, 02:44 PM

And still you're obsessed.

Even now you're still much inclined to argue the toss. I didn't even say Data was cheap but that it was cheap to backup!

In clarification of the N95 issue.

Yes I have an N95 held together with sellotape. ---- No I don't believe I should have to use it as a work around to poor customer service. --- Yes I do believe I should get a speedy repair or replacement. --- No it wasn't until the past week that I realise that the N97 had a major fault with the GPS hence therefore there was no reason to send in my N97 for repair. --- Yes Im a lazy sod and it'll take me a couple of weeks to chase around Nokia Service Centres and chase up my rights under the SoGA and work out a repair. --- Yes I do work and with travelling works out to be a 12 hour day, so bite me if Im not quick enough for you oh lord and master clocky for not keeping to his schedule. --- No I don't have enough cash and space in the house as clocky to buy umpteen extra backup devices.

Case closed.

Last edited by sjdean; 28-08-2009 at 07:25 PM.

Old 09-09-2009, 11:49 AM

munkiii is on a distinguished road
Some news...

My phone has been returned to the Nokia Care Point after being sent back to nokia for GPS/Camera/Squeeky Back Cover fixes.

I've not got it back yet, but i've already been told that my camera lens still has the scratches on it. So from that, i've not got much hope that they've fixed my faulty GPS.

Will see later when i get home and update you.

(just spoke to trading standards, and they say i should accept 2-3 repairs before asking for an exchange of like for like product)

Last edited by munkiii; 09-09-2009 at 12:48 PM.

Old 09-09-2009, 02:03 PM

Hello munkii. How long did they steal, er, I mean, deprive you of your Nokia for while they didn't fix it? Allowing upto potentially eight weeks for a fix is ludicrous.

Old 09-09-2009, 04:59 PM

snuge is on a distinguished road
I took my N97 back today andtold them my Gps wasnt working and that it was crashing etc and they just said yeah no worries and came back with a new1 and said "sorry we only have white will that do". the woman did not even check the phone or anything just gave me a replacment straight up! now my gps works! happy ending!

Old 09-09-2009, 06:17 PM

Harumph. I bought mine from Expansys. They say go to Nokia Service Centre. Nokia Service Centre say Send Off.

I don't have time for messing around, just give me a new goddamn phone!

Old 10-09-2009, 09:28 AM

munkiii is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjdean View Post
Hello munkii. How long did they steal, er, I mean, deprive you of your Nokia for while they didn't fix it? Allowing upto potentially eight weeks for a fix is ludicrous.
2 Weeks.

Seems as though my GPS now works fine.

But, my camera lens is still scratched all over, and the phone back cover is still not properly fitting and squeeks when you push it.

Old 29-09-2009, 01:40 PM

p4rv is on a distinguished road
Nokia took my phone of me 15/09/09 and I got it back 28/09/09 the problems were:

1) GPS not working
2) Lens scratched
3) When keyboard is closed something rattles
4) Memory card gets stuck in it
5) Loudspeaker does not work

The fixes they did:

Loudspeaker works
LEns replaced but scratched again!

That's it! That is terrible! I'm off to nokia care point to explain my rights for replacement! Thanks Buzz!!!!

Old 01-11-2009, 10:57 AM

p4rv is on a distinguished road
Help needed for fellow N97 user. nokia have being trying to fix my phone since 15/09. I had it returned 4 times being told it was fixed. the fifth time i gave it back in and I still have not received it! this is not fair. i told the service point that nokia must give me a replacement as it came back with same fault. they said that they did not have to. can anyone direct me to uk laws website where i can find this info. what am i able to do as i still have no phone and its nearly 2 months down the line! thanks