All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 27-11-2007, 07:47 AM

malerocks is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Menneisyys View Post
BTW, an excerpt from the official version history: "enabling you to run faster and longer - giving you up to three more hours of music (up to 30% increase, from 9h to 12h of music playback"

As far as the 9h figure (previous ROM version) is concerned, Nokia IS exaggerating - many of us "only" measured a pretty meagre 6...6.5 hours. See http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?p=10282055 for individual reports.

I'll surely test the battery life improvement next night and report back.
I am not sure there will be a tremendous improvement in battery life. Battery life improvement was reported in the version of demand paging that would come out with version 9.3 of S60, not the 9.2 that n95 runs on.

Old 27-11-2007, 07:51 AM

t4inc is on a distinguished road
Can't change fonts with v.20

Upgraded my n95. The new firmware is a tremendous improvement.

However, I'm no longer able to change the display font by placing a font folder in the resource folder of my memory card. Has anybody else noticed this with v20?

Old 27-11-2007, 07:51 AM

malerocks is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enfors View Post
N95 owners, enjoy these firmware updates while they last. Soon you probably won't be getting anymore. Look at us N93 owners - we bought what was then Nokia's flagship phone, which stopped receiving firmware updates about 6 months after launch. We still don't have A2DP (bluetooth stereo sound), for example. And we still have a buggy firmware.
I am a n93 user too, and honestly speaking, I have lost hope that a firmware update will *EVER* come out for the n93. So stop expecting one. The only thing we can do is live with this or move to another phone.

Even SE had not ignored their P990i. Nokia has set new standards here as far as letting their customers down is considered.

Old 27-11-2007, 08:18 AM

islamey is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by malerocks View Post
I am a n93 user too, and honestly speaking, I have lost hope that a firmware update will *EVER* come out for the n93. So stop expecting one. The only thing we can do is live with this or move to another phone.

Even SE had not ignored their P990i. Nokia has set new standards here as far as letting their customers down is considered.
Nokia was never interested in keeping their customer base - only interested in the new customers (more opportunities) - that is the business model and that is sad... I can understand this business model from Apple (iphone), but Nokia (NO - Killed In Action)

Last edited by islamey; 27-11-2007 at 08:21 AM.

Old 27-11-2007, 08:52 AM
Unregistered

Angry O2

All I hope is O2 get their finger out with this one. If you go into an O2 shop they'll supply you with an N95-1 with product code 0548021 with the v12 firmware, have been doing so for a couple of months now.

If however you have a phone bought before they rolled out v12 in the shops...well your stuck with v11 through NSU. I've contacted O2 who told me to contact Nokia who told me to contact a Nokia Care Centre who told me it would take 14 days! 14 days to do a 10 minute job! Hint for all Care Centre employees, get a second PC, start one phone updating on the first PC, switch to the second and start that one, by that time the first will be nearly done!

Old 27-11-2007, 09:10 AM
Jacinta Hocking

Smile

Thats right Taomyn, the "Themes" Icon did disappear.

But its now hidden away back in Settings, in Personalisation.

Which is a bit inconvenient as I'm constantly changing my themes.

Ah well.

Other than that, everything seems neat & tight!

4 stars!
Ads

Old 27-11-2007, 09:44 AM

Reda EK is on a distinguished road
Battery will not last longer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menneisyys View Post
BTW, an excerpt from the official version history: "enabling you to run faster and longer - giving you up to three more hours of music (up to 30% increase, from 9h to 12h of music playback"

As far as the 9h figure (previous ROM version) is concerned, Nokia IS exaggerating - many of us "only" measured a pretty meagre 6...6.5 hours. See http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?p=10282055 for individual reports.

I'll surely test the battery life improvement next night and report back.

the funny thing is that even if the battery has been improved 30%, now the mobile is more "usable" and you'll end up using it more and more reducing the up time with one battery charge to less than before.

Old 27-11-2007, 09:50 AM

PMitchell is on a distinguished road
DKlaus, you do not need to do it twice. It is always full upgrades, not incremental ones, you can go straight from any version to V20.

Regards,
PM

Old 27-11-2007, 10:33 AM

Menneisyys is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by malerocks View Post

You're not alone - the case is the same with HTC on WinMo... without XDA-Devs, owners of "older" (>1 year) models would be totally let down.

Old 27-11-2007, 10:36 AM

Menneisyys is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by islamey View Post
Nokia was never interested in keeping their customer base - only interested in the new customers (more opportunities) - that is the business model and that is sad... I can understand this business model from Apple (iphone), but Nokia (NO - Killed In Action)
All device manufacturers use the same aprroach... I'm a WinMo guy and pretty much know all models & all official upgrades... all manufacturers stopped releasing updates after a 1...1.5 year of a device's hitting the shelves. You won't show me a 2-year-old WinMo device still receiving device-specific (not generic, non-device-specific EUU) upgrades.

Old 27-11-2007, 10:46 AM
Daimonji

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Of course I reinstalled it; no need to be insulting. Just for the hell of it, I did it again just now. Still doesn't work for me. Does it work for you?
I said this because reinstall worked fine for me. Of course you have to reinstall the accelerometer extension that this app uses.

Btw I wasn't insulting you, and please do not stay anonymous : I consider this as not being very polite when you say something to someone.

Old 27-11-2007, 11:58 AM
Unregistered

Episcoplian

My N95 is Pay As You Go on T-Mobile. I puchased it sim-free with version 12 on. I cannot download version 20. Any suggestions?

Old 27-11-2007, 12:20 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by slitchfield View Post
Re: tracking. Yes, do shut up, please, with all the moaning. Nokia Maps only ever advertised real time turn by turn instructions with the paid version. That they let slip a poor man's visual version with the first betas is irrelevant - it's now working as they'd like it to, etc. Personally, at £5 for a month's voice guidance, activated when I need it and not before, I'm more than happy.
Sorry, but you're wrong. Nokia has always said that basic navigation was free. Voice and re-routing (if driven off course) was paid.

Am I to believe that not only did they let it "slip" in the application but they let it "slip" into the N95 manual as well?

Please.

Old 27-11-2007, 12:25 PM
Unregistered

Sorry if this has been asked before (I'm having a sneaky look at this forum at work!) - does anyone know when the new firmware will be available in the UK? I've been frantically checking nokia.co.uk for the past 2 days but it still says 12.0.0.13 is the latest firmware.

Has anyone spoken to Nokia UK about it?

Old 27-11-2007, 12:51 PM

Mithent is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Sorry if this has been asked before (I'm having a sneaky look at this forum at work!) - does anyone know when the new firmware will be available in the UK? I've been frantically checking nokia.co.uk for the past 2 days but it still says 12.0.0.13 is the latest firmware.

Has anyone spoken to Nokia UK about it?
Firmware isn't made available by region, it's made available by product code. If you have the EURO1 product code then it's available, but most probably you have a branded handset from T-Mobile, Orange, Vodafone etc. and you have to wait for your provider to make the firmware available, or debrand your phone (change the product code and install generic firmware).