All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 26-11-2007, 12:49 PM

Steve_R is on a distinguished road
OMG, the camera app is soooo much faster now! Well done Nokia for this one.

Surely it cant all be good news though.... there must be a sting in the tail somewhere......

Frustrated Nokia fan, running an old skool E71

Follow Me on Twitter

Old 26-11-2007, 12:53 PM

neilhoskins is on a distinguished road
This has obviously been on the way for a while, but the size of the task is just becoming apparent. I've just been writing a list of things that will need to be re-installed, so I need to check that I've still got download urls, regcodes, etc, plus I've got to make a note of some items. So far I've got:

WiFi settings
Handy Calendar
Calcium
'Conversation'
Truphone
email settings, including gmail
y-browser
podcast app + details of feeds
Handy Taskman
Sports Tracker
Wwigo
Sloved French/English
LCG Jukebox, including radio streams I've added
Flickr Zonetag
Google Maps
3D Tracking

I may or may not re-install:
moving ball/lightsabre
wireless keyboard app (it's the wife's, but I use it sometimes)
Shazam ID
Quake
Speccy
Freeflight
Trivial Pursuit

This is at least half a day's work. As we're getting more and more into the realms of "multimedia computers", it's becoming obvious that this is a bit of a design fault. Imagine having to do a complete re-install every time Microsoft released a Service Pack.

Oh, and a quick note for "unregistered" with the bee in his bonnet about Maps: try pressing '0' in Maps, or install Google Maps.

Old 26-11-2007, 12:58 PM

Plus Gallery/RealPlayer Streams.
And Bookmarks and webfeeds.

Old 26-11-2007, 12:59 PM

And Flickr upload account settings.

Old 26-11-2007, 01:11 PM

And re-tune the FM radio.

Old 26-11-2007, 01:16 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilhoskins View Post
Oh, and a quick note for "unregistered" with the bee in his bonnet about Maps: try pressing '0' in Maps, or install Google Maps.
Wow, thanks for that totally useless information! 0 only takes you to the current GPS locked position. It's not "START TRACKING" that Nokia screwed it's users over by removing.

As far as installing Google Maps, the problem with that is you have to add a data plan for that to be useful at all on the go. And if you're paying for that, why not pay for the Nokia Maps at that point.

*edit*
Also, Steve, or whoever runs this site. My spam question was: What is 3 x 3? which is 9. But it didn't take that answer.

Old 26-11-2007, 01:24 PM
iPodTouchFan

Smile ChangeLog

FIRMWARE V20 CHANGELOG:

* Mobile YouTube videos play smoother than before, however, video quality isn't that great though, when compared to the experience I get from viewing on my iPod Touch.

* Images & Videos load lightning fast in gallery and I'm able to scroll through them like hot knife through butter, literally!

* Camera app is definitely way faster

* Key-press bug is gone

* Integrated Search function is extremely useful!

* All applications load faster. In fact, I find everything works way faster; OS is way snappier (the way it should be!)
* [I thought it'd be interesting to point out that the App. manager loads a lot quicker]

* Also, I like how the menu has been cleaned and tidied up; less 'free' icons cluttering up screen and most of them organised into folders --> Overall more user-friendly

* The biggest thing to note! is that when you slide your N95 to landscape mode from portrait 'standby' screen, the multimedia menu NO longer automatically opens now! So that's something really cool indeed!

(To be honest, I was really upset after upgrading to firmware v12... when major flaws started to appear, e.g. keypress bugs, slow app launch but now, am pretty happy with what Nokia has done with the latest firmware. Props to you, Nokia!)

One thing I find annoying, however, is that every time you require access to the network via wi-fi, you have to manually key-in password... It refuses to remember what you've keyed in before!

Old 26-11-2007, 01:28 PM

Enfors is on a distinguished road
N95 owners, enjoy these firmware updates while they last. Soon you probably won't be getting anymore. Look at us N93 owners - we bought what was then Nokia's flagship phone, which stopped receiving firmware updates about 6 months after launch. We still don't have A2DP (bluetooth stereo sound), for example. And we still have a buggy firmware.

Old 26-11-2007, 01:37 PM

Liquid_Li0n is on a distinguished road
I hope all those updates will be seen shortly in a firmware upgrade for the E90 also because it will be nice if we could finally see youtube video's and etc...

My Nokia Phone history--> 6150 | 3210 | 6210 | 6600 & N-Gage | N70 & 9500 | E61 & N73 ME | E90 & E50 | N900
Ads

Old 26-11-2007, 01:38 PM

Taomyn is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

Just to add to the information being gathered here, after my upgrade and restore from the Backup utility, so far I have noticed:

* Podcasts: lost all my subscriptions
* Y-Browser refused to auto-reinstall
* Moving Ball refused to auto-reinstall
* Theme not restored, had to manually change it
* PIN security setting not enabled i.e. after being locked was not asked for it and was reset back to factory 12345
* I thought there was a separate "Themes" icon in the menus, couldn't find it again.
* Mini-GPS, CorePlayer and Google Maps, although auto-reinstalled, will not run so need to re-install and see what happens.
* Most data seems to have been restored, including my WiFi/ISP access point data *phew*
* Much zippier
* 29.5 mb free
* Camera is *so* much quicker

I am very happy with the upgrade and the problems listed above make no difference to me and are reported here so as to forewarn future upgraders.

Old 26-11-2007, 01:40 PM

DKlaus is on a distinguished road
I've been staying at v11, mostly because I want to keep 'Start Tracking', but also because of the bugs that have been reported for v12.

With all the goodies in v20 I feel tempted to upgrade. So, is it possible to go straight from v11 to v20, or must I go stepwise via v12?

Old 26-11-2007, 01:42 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKlaus View Post
I've been staying at v11, mostly because I want to keep 'Start Tracking', but also because of the bugs that have been reported for v12.

With all the goodies in v20 I feel tempted to upgrade. So, is it possible to go straight from v11 to v20, or must I go stepwise via v12?
Yes, you're only option is to go from where you are to the newest one. You can't decide which version to go to.

Also, you will lose the START TRACKING feature if you upgrade. Why? Because Nokia loves it's customers for making them rich.

Old 26-11-2007, 01:58 PM

Mithent is on a distinguished road
Losing the tracking feature is bad, but for Demand Paging plus AGPS without the keypress bug I'll take it. I already have a data plan.

The iPod Touch and iPhone use H264-encoded videos, not Flash Video; I believe they're the same ones on http://m.youtube.com/ , at least for mobile usage. I think I read something about changing to a higher bit-rate when on WiFi?

Old 26-11-2007, 02:04 PM

lookatbowen is on a distinguished road
It was a Bad day up until I logged into AAS.

Fantastic News... I am downloading it now!!!!

Old 26-11-2007, 02:16 PM

jstallard67 is on a distinguished road
Any one had a similar problem as me. Update (v20) has downloaded (Euro 1) but will not update the mobile. Keeps coming up that it fails, have got newest Nokia updater software installed.