All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 20-02-2008, 03:04 AM

zadigre is on a distinguished road
if anyone can help me... I want to install rotateme and flipsilent buy symbiansigned still seems to be offline...
PM me fi you can help and I will send you my IMEI

thank you

Old 20-02-2008, 12:38 PM

generationgav is on a distinguished road
Yeah, I was trying to do it myself. But SymbianSigned cannot sign apps unless you "have a publisher ID"
Is there another method or could somebody help do mine?

Old 20-02-2008, 10:08 PM

henklbr is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by amzi160586 View Post
Hi there everyone,

Just wanted to provided the opportunity for singing applications as I've been doing a lot of reading about this. I understand that many people would be having difficulty creating an account with symbian signed. Therefore, if you would like me to sign any applications for you just send me a message along with your IMEI number and applicatio you'd like to get signed. I'll be able to do loads of these tomorrow and in the evening.

Thanks everyone!!
Could you please STOP this ? ? ?

It's very nice to sign for all people, but this is one of the reasons SymbianSigned stopped free signing for now!
They are not lazy overthere; I think you know, as well as I do, that people will use the certificate also for cracked/illegal software, i.e. Route 66 . . . !

You can lose your account, when SymbianSigned sees that you are signing for many IMEI's, and I think they also know that you don't have so many phones!

Let people register themselves and keep your own account intact!
Route 66 Mobile v8.0.16821 (16818), Western Europe Q3-08 (v2.211) / Eastern Europe Q3-08 (v1.210)

Old 21-02-2008, 01:48 AM

Elzo is on a distinguished road
So how are we meant to sign then?

Old 21-02-2008, 10:27 AM

Rattyman is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by henklbr View Post
Could you please STOP this ? ? ?

It's very nice to sign for all people, but this is one of the reasons SymbianSigned stopped free signing for now!
They are not lazy overthere; I think you know, as well as I do, that people will use the certificate also for cracked/illegal software, i.e. Route 66 . . . !

You can lose your account, when SymbianSigned sees that you are signing for many IMEI's, and I think they also know that you don't have so many phones!

Let people register themselves and keep your own account intact!
I don't think SymbianSigned have stopped free signing for now, they've stopped free signing for good! Take a look at their home page -https://www.symbiansigned.com/app/page - BOLD type in RED! we've all been told off, we're very naughty boys, signing our own apps! The way I see it is that open self signing was for "real" developers who need to test their apps prior to submission for public release, but along comes RotateMe unsigned and everyone wants it. So we all register with SymbianSigned, they in turn say "hey this isn't how it was meant to be" and pull the plug. I blame that French guy Samir.

Old 21-02-2008, 11:12 AM

dchky is on a distinguished road
If you think it was 'rotateme' that prompted symbian signed to drop the free certs, then you don't quite understand basic economics.

Follow the money trail for developer certs and you'll see that it's pure corporate greed at work.

They claim they are receiving 10,000 new cert requests every day and it's causing their system to slow down. That's like 50 megabytes of data transfer for a generous 4k per each signature uploaded. So maybe they have to spit out 400 megabytes in total transfer per day for the entire website, this is hardly what I would consider an issue. My 3 year old laptop could handle that load with a crappy little home DSL connection, and I'd still have the bandwidth and CPU grunt available to watch youtube all day long.

You are right in one respect, most of the cert requests are very likely used for pirated applications, though 'very likely' is still loaded with speculation. Who's to know, maybe there are just lots of new developers out there :-)

This is just a money grab by Symbian and their little shills who give kickbacks for each dev id purchased.

Old 21-02-2008, 11:18 AM

dchky is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elzo View Post
So how are we meant to sign then?
From now on it looks like you don't, unless you pony up the money.

I very seriously doubt anyone with a publisher ID is going to offer their services to provide certificates.

I think what this will do though is get people more focused on finding a bypass for the platform security on newer handsets. This is already trivial for phones (including and) prior to the N80
Ads

Old 21-02-2008, 12:10 PM

Rattyman is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by dchky View Post
Follow the money trail for developer certs and you'll see that it's pure corporate greed at work.
On matters of corporate greed I would normally agree with you. But who's going to fork out $200 just to sign a couple of apps? Hardly anyone will, unless you're a 'real' developer in which case you've probably already got a publisher id.

I also don't believe the reason SymbianSigned have given for pulling the plug. That many requests per day is nothing and as you point out a three year old laptop could cope with that demand.

I think the real reason is what I've said above i.e. signing apps was never meant for non developers and lets face it how many of us are 'real' developers? My guess is less than 1%.

Old 26-02-2008, 10:24 PM
Super Moderator

bartmanekul is on a distinguished road
Due to many 1st time posters asking for certs (and posting IMEI and email addresses) dispite symbian signed being down, Im closing this thread till symbian signed starts signing again.