All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 27-01-2003, 02:14 PM

patwap is on a distinguished road
Anyone synchs P800 with Lotus Notes email ?

I want to get a P800 but I need to be able to read my company's Lotus Notes email on it. The marketing literature says it can but I need real life confirmation that

1) P800 can sync Lotus Notes R5 email WITH attachments (MS Word, Excel and Powerpoint) while physically connected to my PC.

2) Can I also sync with my PC while not physically connected to the PC but am connected to the network and can reach my PC via it's TCPIP address (remote sync)?

I have posted this question in other forums, but it seems also no one synchs Lotus Notes email.

thanks for any advice/tips or feedback.

Old 27-01-2003, 03:08 PM

Re: Anyone synchs P800 with Lotus Notes email ?

I want to get a P800 but I need to be able to read my company's Lotus Notes email on it. The marketing literature says it can but I need real life confirmation that

1) P800 can sync Lotus Notes R5 email WITH attachments (MS Word, Excel and Powerpoint) while physically connected to my PC.

-------------------------------------

Can't confirm the P800 synchs with Notes R5 (still waiting on mine), but it's predecessor, the R380 certainly has no problems, including attachments (though, being a bit older, it couln't read Word or Excel).

If the R380 had no problems, I'm hoping the P800 will. It better had, I've already ordered one!

Old 27-01-2003, 05:11 PM

P800 works fine with Lotus Notes but...

The phones operating system allowes what you asks for. But...

you might want to be aware that the replication/syncronization is not all that good. Sometime the phone starts to duplicate one single message and propagates this to the client. I noticed this especially in the drafts folder. It's a bit of a pain but I guess they will correct it. Best way to sort this out for now is to delete the message account in the phones control panel and then Sync all over. I hope for next version...

Make sure you set the Notes client to share password with other Notes Addins or you will have to specify the password in the "Sync Station Settings" - and your password will be stored in plain text proceeded with the self explanatory word "p a s s w o r d" in a file called "hermes.mdb"

Also if you use POP3 on your notes server (your mailfile has the iNotes template) and uses the P800 to log on to get the inbox...you get the complete mailfile... seems like the P800 regards the view "All documents" as the inbox... not so good :(

Anyway - I like the phone, really cool
/Jake

Old 28-01-2003, 04:43 AM

patwap is on a distinguished road
Thanks for all the advice. I'll probably buy the phone then wait until Commontime comes out with a Symbian version of mNotes for the email part (hope it's works as well as the Pocket PC version). Part of my problem is my company's mail is not `configured' for either IMAP or POP3.

Old 28-01-2003, 12:20 PM

Jake is on a distinguished road
I am syncronizing direct with Notes...

However the software is not able to detect all new mails in the inbox so some are skipped. The "Tasks" in Notes are multiplying themselves on the phone and it starts to look silly on my Notes Client.

The one thing that seems to be working very good is the Address book and Calender. I have syncronized my Notes address book and merged it with the information on my SIM card. It was a bit of pain to sort out all the short names on my SIM card with those in the address book... but once that was done I have much better control. Just click on a name and then select what you want to do - send an e-mail, sms och give a call to home, cell or office...SPLENDID !!!

Comparing with a friend of mine that has got the latest Compaq iPAQ it is clear that I have a cool phone with some extra goodies while he has got a proper PDA to work with.

/Jake

Old 28-01-2003, 01:38 PM

On Notes

I sync my P800 woth Notes R5, although only when connected to my PC. We had some problems with the first release of the PC software, but with the latest ver 1.1.1 it works much better.
I have a problem with reminders though, reminders on the PC translated to appointments in the P800 and vice versa. In the initial synch software, this led to duplicate entries each time I synchronized but with ver 1.1.1 there are no duplicates (but reminders still translates into appointments).

Have not tried synching email, as we have the Domino Everyplace server, so I can access mail from any WAP device, which works very well with the P800. However, attached documents are not available through WAP.

Someone told me that Notes/Domino R6 does not work with the P800, but that might be fixed in new releases of the PC software.
Ads