All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 24-12-2003, 10:49 AM

pwhite8314 is on a distinguished road
Are you experiencing issues with connectivity to BT headsets?

All

There are several posts relating to issues with the Bluetooth connectivity between the P900 and a number of S/E headsets, principly:

HBH-35
HBH-65
HBH-200
HCB-30

By issues, I mean that for both inbound and outbound calls, the call will sometimes be transferred to the headset, and someimes it will not. There is no logic to when it will work correctly.

I've had several inane conversations with S/E customer support, which has now culminated in a request to send my handset in, but I know from the many other posts that this is not an issue with the handset, as many other users are experiencing the same thing. My last email to S/E Customer Care was:

Quote:
I can link you to many, many threads on various internet support forums that show that many P900 users are have serious issues with Bluetooth connectivity to either the HBH-65, HBH-200, and, worryingly (as I've just purchased one) the HCB-30 car kit. It is quite clear that there is some sort of issue with the phone firmware, and the way it is managing the Bluetooth connection to the headsets. I have tested the headset with a Nokia phone, and it works fine.

I would be grateful if could escalate this issue to a supervisor or manager for further investigation, as at this point, it seems obvious to me that there's no issues with my handset, and if you wish, I can get another dozen names of P900 owners all experiencing the same problems.

I look forward to your reply.

Regards

Peter White
So, if you are using the P900 with a S/E BT headset and are experiencing the same issues regarding connectivity, please just reply to the posting with details of your headset model. Hopefully this might help to get a useful reply from S/E.

BTW, I'm using an HBH-200, and will cross-post this to mysymbian as well, but if you follow both forums, you only need to post on 1 thread.

Many thanks

Old 24-12-2003, 05:06 PM

Bigfeat is on a distinguished road
-PWhite..

This might help;

First off - I now have every single BT headset that SE has manufactured to-date in my collection of BT headsets. I have tested every single one of them with the P800 & P900. What I have observed is that there is a problem with the initial pairing of these headsets and these phones. Keep in mind that I have also experienced some similar issues with T68ms and T68is as well. From my experience I would suggest resetting the BT headsets, clear out the traces of the initial pairing, reboot phone by removing battery temporarily, and pair them all again. I don't think SE will ever really solve these issues as I have seen them in ALL their line of headsets when used in combination with their mobile phones. I know that seems odd, but I certainly can atest to that. It's not an encouraging thought either. However, I have been able to resolve (in some cases temporarirly / in some cases permanently) issues using the methods mentioned above. Make sure your phone has the latest firmware to cover your butt. Tech support may easily cop out from helping you and tell you it's because you don't have the latest firmware. I think 10/10 times SE reps will more likely try to replace your headset then bother with diagnosing or fixing it.

The headsets pictured below is what I mostly use with my P900 today. I have no connectivity issues with any of them. I did with some of them initially, but the method above did help solve the issues. The Bluespoon Digital has worked flawlessly along with a Nokia set as well. However, this phenomenon will thicken the plot because it becomes harder for anyone to point the finger to a specific device (Headset or Phone).

B I G F E A T E N T E R T A I N M E N T

Old 27-12-2003, 10:04 AM

lz64 is on a distinguished road
Bluetooth NOKIA HS-3W problems

I have a nokia HS-3w headset which will pair with my P900 (P900 bluetooth v. CXC12529 RD5). However, the headset will disconnect and swithch off after 10 minutes. I seems that the P900 does not keep in contact with the headset, when waiting for an activity.

Pairing OK
Power OK
Phone and headset not moved more than 1M from each other.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Steve.

Old 27-12-2003, 07:15 PM

Bigfeat is on a distinguished road
Re: Bluetooth NOKIA HS-3W problems

Quote:
Originally posted by lz64
I have a nokia HS-3w headset which will pair with my P900 (P900 bluetooth v. CXC12529 RD5). However, the headset will disconnect and swithch off after 10 minutes. I seems that the P900 does not keep in contact with the headset, when waiting for an activity.

Pairing OK
Power OK
Phone and headset not moved more than 1M from each other.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Steve.
If your headset is switching off then I'd assume the issue is with your headset. The phone has no way of turning off another device. Its principle funciton is to simply bond and connect with it. All signs point to your headset.

B I G F E A T E N T E R T A I N M E N T

Old 27-12-2003, 10:17 PM

lz64 is on a distinguished road
Thanks, for the reply.

The HS-3W manual states ‘The headset bleeps and the green indicator light starts blinking. The blinking continues for approx 10 min or until the headset connects to a compatible phone. If it cannot be connected during this time, the headset is switched off.’

The P900 and the headset will pair/bond and it is possible to have calls transferred to the headset or to invoke voice calling from the headset. Unfortunately, if you do not initiate or receive a call within 10 min the headset switches off in the manner described by Nokia.

During the period of inactivity the headset blinks green indicating that it searching for a phone; it would appear to me at least that the P900 does keep in contact with the headset, even if they are next to each other.

I suspect that there is a software bug in the P900 (running bluetooth CxC12529 RD5) – as I’m on orange I can’t upgrade the firmware recently issued by SE, which addresses some incompatibility with their own headsets.

Makes you wonder what’s the use of having statement from SE/Nokia saying that they comply with BT 1.1 spec (headset was bought as an Xmas gift)

Any work rounds would be useful, other than only driving for 9 mins at a time.

If you’re thinking of getting a BT headset, please remember to check all the functions in the shop first.

Thanks

Steve.

Old 28-12-2003, 07:20 AM

Delta737 is on a distinguished road
I guess it's incompatible then.

It's the same thing as with that infrared ports on the Nokia's. You can enable them but if they don't find anything within a few minutes it automatically disables itself. And once it is connected to the PC it will keep a permanent connection, otherwise the IR port will disable itself as well

I guess the same thing is going on with your BT headset. A nokia phone would keep a permanent connection(which I don't think is that smart, because of both the phone's and headset's battery). SE simply doesn't support this....

Old 14-01-2004, 07:39 PM
celios

Exclamation Bluetooth headset problems, oh yes...

I am having the exact same issue as originally posted. Two bluetooth headsets (HBH-30/BT250) that work fine with a P800, and 2 T610s, work only sporadically with my P900. I have tried pairing over and over, have reset both headsets more than 5 times, updated my P900 firmware (twice, just to be sure), done a Master reset and all to no avail.

I have started a poll on my-symbian (see http://my-symbian.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=13108) and it is fast looking like this is a problem with most P900s. If you are also experiening a problem using your bluetooth headset with a P900, please respond to the poll.

I find it quite shocking that the company who created Bluetooth (Ericsson) can release a 'flagship' phone with a dodgy Bluetooth implementation

Old 15-01-2004, 03:20 AM

ghoonk is on a distinguished road
I believe the problem isn't an implementation issue, just that the BT radio hardware on the P900 is a bit on the weak side. Maybe SE did that to reduce power consumption by BT, especially since many of us tend to leave BT on all the time, and on Discoverable too.

That could also explain why the quality of BT connection drops rapidly after 5m. I could have my handset in the back seat of my car and get a lot of interference on my HBH-30 and my Blueye headset.

I've used my BT headsets with my Nokia 8910 and never had such problems, but then again Nokia implements Handsfree and not Headset profile, and the BT connection is left on all the time, killing both the headset and handset batteries.

Old 15-01-2004, 03:33 AM
kpence

I have a JABRA bluetooth headset I got from Brookstone. I haven't had a problem with it at all. The sound quality is great for me.

Old 15-01-2004, 10:11 AM
celios

Quote:
Originally posted by ghoonk
I believe the problem isn't an implementation issue, just that the BT radio hardware on the P900 is a bit on the weak side. Maybe SE did that to reduce power consumption by BT, especially since many of us tend to leave BT on all the time, and on Discoverable too.

That could also explain why the quality of BT connection drops rapidly after 5m. I could have my handset in the back seat of my car and get a lot of interference on my HBH-30 and my Blueye headset.

I've used my BT headsets with my Nokia 8910 and never had such problems, but then again Nokia implements Handsfree and not Headset profile, and the BT connection is left on all the time, killing both the headset and handset batteries.
I don't think this problem could be caused by weak radio, certainly not in my case. When it is working I get better range with the P900 than I got using exactly the same headset on the P800! Also, I can experience problems where the phone and headet are less that 0.5m apart and one call it works, the next call it doesn't.

My guess is that they have been using 2 slightly different Bluetooth chipsets and have been trying to run the same software on both - on one set it works, on another set it 's buggy. I can reproduce a crash of Bluetooth just by changing the preferred device to phone and trying to accept the call as the manual describes (this is exactly as described in the mobileburn.com review - where the reviewer also managed to crash the whole phone!). Notice that in my case the phone still runs, but Bluetooth is out of order. Sometimes the problem of no contact with the headset can be resolved by switching Bluetooth on and off again while the phone is still running. Finally, the thing that makes me think this is software/firmware is that other Bluetooth activities (serial connection to Laptop, 'Bluebeaming', etc). Seem to work just fine - the problems are almost entirely with the headset.

Old 15-01-2004, 01:31 PM

Muzikfreakah is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally posted by kpence
I have a JABRA bluetooth headset I got from Brookstone. I haven't had a problem with it at all. The sound quality is great for me.
I have the Jabra to, it was chewed by my dog, but now im testing a customers headset.

1.) Sometimes its scratchy, sometimes its clear
2.) When my phone rings, sometimes it connects to the headset (meaning my headset rings with the jabra tone) sometimes it doesnt
3.) In connection to number 2, and when it doesnt, I answer the call through my phone, but when I connect it to the headset again by pressing the headset once, it transfers the call for like a second or two then suddenly ends the call
4.) The bluetooth sign on my phnoe <> hangs, and you have to restart the phone to get it going again.

Sometimes I look stupide, my phone rings, I get my headset and answer on my jabra, turns out it wont transfer, which now makes you looks stupid because you have to hurry and answer the call on the other ear while Jabra is still on the other because you had no more time to get it off and hide it. Especially when you have guests watching.. Grrrr!

Im going to experiment more with the plantronics bluetooth headset and see if I get this problem again.

Old 24-03-2004, 04:18 PM

Dave777 is on a distinguished road
Did you try out the Plantronics headset (M3000?) because I after one and it looks good.

Cheers

Dave

Old 02-04-2004, 03:59 PM

vikast is on a distinguished road
Hbh-60

I have an HBH-60 and have the same problems. Key problems are sound not transferring to headset consistently (whether dialling our, or receiving a call). What is more irritating is when I get a call and if the sound does not get transferred, one should be able to press the button on the headset to establish a connection and answer the call (this worked with my P800). However, with the P900 it does establish the connection but promptly disconnects the call (sends busy signal to caller!!). It is most frustrating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwhite8314
All

There are several posts relating to issues with the Bluetooth connectivity between the P900 and a number of S/E headsets, principly:

HBH-35
HBH-65
HBH-200
HCB-30

By issues, I mean that for both inbound and outbound calls, the call will sometimes be transferred to the headset, and someimes it will not. There is no logic to when it will work correctly.

I've had several inane conversations with S/E customer support, which has now culminated in a request to send my handset in, but I know from the many other posts that this is not an issue with the handset, as many other users are experiencing the same thing. My last email to S/E Customer Care was:

So, if you are using the P900 with a S/E BT headset and are experiencing the same issues regarding connectivity, please just reply to the posting with details of your headset model. Hopefully this might help to get a useful reply from S/E.

BTW, I'm using an HBH-200, and will cross-post this to mysymbian as well, but if you follow both forums, you only need to post on 1 thread.

Many thanks

Old 21-12-2004, 09:57 PM

dbdave is on a distinguished road
Hbh 65

What I've noticed with my BT headset HBH 65 & my P900 is that if I should turn off the headset, I need to go through the bonding process again.

If I try to just refresh the device w/ Control Panel>Devices>Add (I think that's it), then the phone sometimes locks up (this is with CDA 162003/6 R4A04 software).

Best is to drop the device and re bond. A hassle but that's the only thing that's worked.

As long as I don't turn off the BT headset, I'm actually OK with the setup.

I've just upgraded to the latest firmware so I'll see how this goes.

Old 22-12-2004, 07:38 AM

Delta737 is on a distinguished road
Thinking back, I did have problems, but after a firmware upgrade a long time ago it was all fixed, and I've never had any problems since!