All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 25-10-2007, 10:12 AM

Quakester2000 is on a distinguished road
New Battery More Life???

Well many of us on this board have had their N95's since it was released in March 2007 and we all know how much it has to be charged.
I was wondering if you bought a new Battery a new BL-5f would you see any increase in life for the phone as we all know battery's can only be charged a finite time and with each charge after a certain point capacity starts dropping slowly.
Well i was thinking the way we charge our N95's the batteries wont last as long as their predecessors the BL-5C.

I know people will say many rechargeable batteries they have owned lasted years but not every battery matches the same specifications as the next batch. Some will recharge for years some will burn out quicker than others. And i know with LiON top up charges don't constitute a full recharge which is what counts towards battery life.

Old 26-10-2007, 06:40 AM

dez_borders is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quakester2000 View Post
I was wondering if you bought a new Battery a new BL-5f would you see any increase in life for the phone as we all know battery's can only be charged a finite time and with each charge after a certain point capacity starts dropping slowly.
Well i was thinking the way we charge our N95's the batteries wont last as long as their predecessors the BL-5C.
Li-ion batteries don't suffer from a 'discharge memory effect' but you are correct that batteries don't last forever. I believe with Li-ion the performance is constant until one or more cells dies then battery life suddenly drops sharply and permanently.

In any event Nokia would have to replace a faulty battery under warranty within the first 12 months. After that, I would recommend buying only Genuine Nokia replacement battery - and from a high street store, not from eBay

Old 27-10-2007, 03:55 PM

coolice is on a distinguished road
Hey,

Li-Ion, like Lithium Polymer battery technology degrades over time with use. Slowly the batterys capacity reduces the more times it is cycled, eg. charged & discharged.

As you say there is no "memory effect" with our phone batterys and so cycling like with the older NiCad battery technology will not bring them back to full capacity again.

Best advice is not to let the Li-Ion pack fully discharge, keep it fully charged whenever you can.

Old 27-10-2007, 06:40 PM

Mithent is on a distinguished road
One aspect of lithium ion chemistry is that they lose power even when not used - a year-old LiIon pack that's been sitting on a shelf will hold less power than one manufactured yesterday. It's best to store them at around 40% charge in cold conditions, I believe.

For the N95 that's not so much of an issue as no BL-5F batteries are that old, but when buying batteries for older devices it may not be possible to find good batteries if they were all manufactured several years ago.

Old 28-10-2007, 10:35 AM

pa49 is on a distinguished road
Technically the advantage of the lithium chemistry is that they will maintain their 'power' but loose their ability to retain their 'capacity'. They thus give shorter and shorter cycles of available usage.
This is due to the volatility of lithium. The batteries 'life span clock' starts the moment that they are manufactured and they do indeed have a finite shelf and usage life.
With the batteries we use we will have to determine for each case when their usage becomes too low for practicality. We should, however, expect a good 18months (depending on usage and charging) before we see the signs of degradation.
Remember that one of the downsides of using two batteries bought together is that they will both reach the 'of no practical use' point about the same time and so will need replacing at the same time. Better to buy your second battery well into the life of the first and thus achieve a greater overall life of usage for your investment.