sendo x to buy or not to buy

hiya, been reading the threads for a while here and:

im still undecided as to buy or not to buy, so any pointers

Old 02-12-2004, 01:33 PM

necoffee is on a distinguished road
please excuse my manners

Old 02-12-2004, 01:52 PM
omegax

I have had nothing but a complete working Sendo X on Vodafone since first getting it a few weeks ago. I really like the phone, it does have a few glitches, but you have to expect that on any phone. Ive yet to have a phone that didn't have any glitches. Sendo are always working to try and fix any/all problems that the phone has, so they have great consumer support.

I would recommend trying out the phone before you buy it (if possible) to see if you really like it, but i would say give it a go. You could always return it if you dont like it.

Old 02-12-2004, 02:43 PM

mart_is_good is on a distinguished road
I would also agree with omegax. If possible try it, I also like mine a lot, apart from the dust under my screen! This is covered by warrenty, so I just have to send it off (and loose the fone for a week).

Old 02-12-2004, 04:25 PM

morph is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by mart_is_good
I would also agree with omegax. If possible try it, I also like mine a lot, apart from the dust under my screen! This is covered by warrenty, so I just have to send it off (and loose the fone for a week).
hi Mart
How do you know that the problem of the dust is covered by warranty?
Ads

Old 02-12-2004, 04:50 PM

moomin is on a distinguished road
I think you need to decide what functions u really want.
I'm still not sure if i will keep mine. it has a few problems, inc missing a few calls and no themes.
For me im not sure its worth it as its not as good a phone as my se k700 for phone stuff, but better in other ways. Its a good phone, its just im not sure i have a use for it as its not as good for calling, or text, and its not as good a pda as my sony clie.

Also, it doesnt look like there are very many apps for the phone.

Old 02-12-2004, 05:07 PM

jarold is on a distinguished road
Here is a list of applications that have been tested with the Sendo X and proven to work (sorry, not sorted):-

Aces Texas Hold'em
AOL® Instant Messenger(TM) 1.0 for Series 60
Athens-TubeRouter
Betty Boop
Bricks
COM2US Bowling EX
Darts
Darts (German version)
Felix the Cat Puzzles
French
French Phrase Book
Full Screen Caller
German Phrase Book
Handy Clock for Series 60
Handy Expense for Series 60
Handy Reminder for Series 60
Handy Reversi for Series 60
Handy Shopper for Series 60
Handy Safe for Series 60
Italian
Italian Phrase Book
LangToLang English Spanish Dictionary Version 2
LangToLang English French Dictionary Version 2
London-TubeRouter
mCalc I-RPN Calculator(N-Gage/7650/7610/3650/3660/6600/6620/SX1/Sendo-X/X700)
mCountDown 1.01 (N-Gage/7650/7610/3650/3660/6600/6620/SX1/Sendo-X/X700)
Merriam Webster Word Search
Mobile Mahjongg (nokia series 60)
MoneyPoly
One for All Solitaires for Series 60
Pebbles Mobile Pet
Quick Solitaire
SmartFreeCell
Solitiare
Solitaire Deluxe
Spanish
Spanish Phrase Book
Trivia King
Wackoo Battleships Classic
Worms
Xtreme Air Snowboarding

All of the following run perfectly in the MGS runtime and look really good on the Sendo X http://www.nmprod.com/

Cobra Attack
Constellation Othello
Jewel Impulse
MGS Karting
Minefield
Mobile VR Pool
ShootCrabs
Silverball
Tetrix
The FIve
Steel Warrior II

KillerVirus- Attack of the Killer Virus (elocom) http://www.elo-interactive.de/

Applications:-

QuickWord/QuickSheet/Quickpoint - Lets you edit Microsoft Word/Excel or Powerpoint documents on the phone

http://www.mobl.com/software/series60/s60quickword.html
http://www.mobl.com/software/series6...uicksheet.html
http://www.mobl.com/software/series6...uickpoint.html

I have personally played or used the following without major problems:-

3D MotoRacer
Caveman
CellMill
Darxide (Similiar to Wing Commander - for those that remember!)
Dexter's Laboratory - Security alert
Interstellar Flames
Lemonade Tycoon
Prince of Persia - Sands of Time (This one is really cool!)
Puzzle Bobble
Rayman Golf
Resistance
Speed Devils
Thirteen ( XIII ) (a bit slow at times but worth a spin)

AppMan
Cocktail
Fexplorer
HandyFile
Handy Shopper
Pro'Lingua
WorldMate

blahblahbber posted in another thread http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/forum...454#post202454 that the following apps all work well on the sendo x too:-

Bad Dudes
Contra
Castlevania 1, 2 & 3
Ducktales
Goonies
Gyromite
Ghosts & Goblins
Ikari Warriors
Karnov
Kid Icaris
Legendary Wings
Lemmings
Marble Madness
Super Mario 1, 2 & 3
Metroid
Might & Magic
Mike Typson's Punch Out
Monster Party
Ninja Gaiden
Operation Wolf
Pacman
Popeye
POW
Prince of Persia
Rampage
Ring King
Shinobi
Super Pitfall
Super Contra
T & C Surf Designs
Techmo Super Bowl
Tiger Heli
Top Gun
Track & Field 2
Wild Gunman
Xexyz
Zelda 1 & 2

Perhaps we should arrange to have the list of working apps/games posted as a sticky FAQ in this forum?

Last edited by jarold; 08-12-2004 at 09:58 AM.

Old 02-12-2004, 05:33 PM

Kirkton is on a distinguished road
Hey thanks for the big list of working apps and games jarold, I'm just going to work my way through them now and try them out. At least I've got a starting point now.

Old 02-12-2004, 06:11 PM

Cash is on a distinguished road
If you can guarantee getting a working phone like some of the others, and are happy with a limited software catalogue (75% of apps I have installed dont work, or dont work correctly) and you want a below average jack-of-all trades then go for it.

Personally mine is going back and I have decided to get seperate phone, camera, MP3 player and organiser, I dont think smartphones are quite there yet for me, and I have had and continue to have problems with my X,

After all the hype surrounding how good, fast and powerfull this phone is (have a look at the spmark reults in this forum, every phone without exception is faster than the X) I am well dissapointed.

If you choose the X then I hope you are one of the lucky ones.

Old 02-12-2004, 06:49 PM

jarold is on a distinguished road
Further apps that I have working on my X

Spiderman
Tomb Raider: Quest for Cinnabar
Tomb Raider: Osiris
Siberian Assault: Episode I
Siberian Assault: Episode II
SWAT Sniper

MGS Mad Macs (this one is great! a Panda in a Tank)
MGS Power Dart

I have had very few of the problems posted here and the latest software is certainly a lot more stable.

Old 02-12-2004, 06:53 PM

mart_is_good is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by morph
hi Mart
How do you know that the problem of the dust is covered by warranty?
I phoned up a service centre here in the UK, one said that it wasn't covered and the other said it was. I think I know which I will use

Old 02-12-2004, 08:16 PM

necoffee is on a distinguished road
Beer

thanks for the replies

Cash; thats basically the reason why i started looking at the x - i dont want to lug around a phone camera mp3 player and organiser:

jarold; wher di you get your phone and what firmware is on it.

the reson why i asked is i really do want a x but i cant understand why:

1. why some many people are having so many probs - and bad probs at that
2. if there that bad how on earth di sendo let it through thre quality control

3. why ive had more positive rather than negative responses

Old 02-12-2004, 09:54 PM

Billy Chundler is on a distinguished road
I also read alot of reviews about the Sendo X over a period of months and was amazed when I saw that Vodafone were offering it for free with any monthly contract - I thought their website was wrong! I ordered the phone without having seen one on the strength of the reviews but I was sadly disappointed with the phone. I don't think I'm ready for a Smartphone yet, I was looking for all the features it offered but in the end as a phone it was just too big and to be honest most of the apps I would never have used anyway - I guess I was a sucker for the gimmicks. As you say, alot of people rave about the phone and they probably use the phone to its fullest whereas I primarily wanted it as a phone so for me it wasn't ideal. The great thing with Vodafone was I got to play with it for a couple of days before returning it so it wasn't definitely worth doing that. I've now gone for a SE K700i which is much smaller and still has most of the features I need...just a shame it doesn't have SD card slot.

I would only recommend the phone to people who need a smart phone and will make use of the features one would offer. Its just too big at the moment.

Old 03-12-2004, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by necoffee
thanks for the replies

Cash; thats basically the reason why i started looking at the x - i dont want to lug around a phone camera mp3 player and organiser:
Thats one of the reasons I bought the X aswell, I travel alot to 3 different countries very often and the idea was to have something small and light that I could listen to music on, play games, take pics quickly and obviously make phone calls, aswell as keeping track of all my appointments etc,

It doesn't do any of these things particularly well in my case,

most the games have problems with sound,

the mp3 player cracks and makes noises and is sooo slooooow at finding and changing tracks, not to mention getting the first track to play,

the phone is constantly loosing connectivity with the network which is doesn't regain without re-booting, most of the times I dont notice this cause the phone is in my pocket,

when it has got a signal some calls or txt msgs dont come through (as I say I travel alot and because of this have missed very important phone calls to the point where it has actually cost me a few thousand pounds on a couple of deals (this is why I have gone back to using my 7110 at the moment untill I find a good reliable phone)), not to mention the MP3 missed calls problem,

the phone regularly slows down to the point where its unresponsive, it also has a tendancy to freeze, the only way to resolve this is to take the battery out and reeboot,

I have had to restart the phone so many times that my on/off switch has become loose and doesn't work all the time.

These are some of the majoe problems that I have with the phone that I can think of off the top of my head.

I was attracted to this phone because it was supposed to be reliable fast, had all the extra's on that I wanted, but it just doesn't do what its supposed to do.

If it did work it would be a great phone, I really want this phone to work I paid 450 euro's for it and I am still waiting for the French f/w to be released to try before I actually send it back for a refund, if its improved (mostly the calls and txt msgs) then I will keep it, if I still have probs then its going back.

But the point I am making is that if you want a gadget to combine all the above, and to do it well, then you need to make sure you get an X like the one that Omega has, his seems to be working fine.

Dont forget these are the problems that I have had, and its not to say that you will have them if you buy an X

Good luck!!!!

Old 03-12-2004, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Chundler
I also read alot of reviews about the Sendo X over a period of months and was amazed when I saw that Vodafone were offering it for free with any monthly contract - I thought their website was wrong! I ordered the phone without having seen one on the strength of the reviews but I was sadly disappointed with the phone. I don't think I'm ready for a Smartphone yet, I was looking for all the features it offered but in the end as a phone it was just too big and to be honest most of the apps I would never have used anyway - I guess I was a sucker for the gimmicks. As you say, alot of people rave about the phone and they probably use the phone to its fullest whereas I primarily wanted it as a phone so for me it wasn't ideal. The great thing with Vodafone was I got to play with it for a couple of days before returning it so it wasn't definitely worth doing that. I've now gone for a SE K700i which is much smaller and still has most of the features I need...just a shame it doesn't have SD card slot.

I would only recommend the phone to people who need a smart phone and will make use of the features one would offer. Its just too big at the moment.

Billy,

How are you getting on with your k700i

Cheers