All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Series 60

Old 02-07-2006, 10:05 PM
Founder / Chief

Rafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of light
N80 Review: Top spec equals Top smartphone?

Steve looks at the Nokia N80 and finds that cutting edge specifications do not automatically give the N80 the title of best S60 smartphone. In his review Steve finds a powerful smartphone, but disappointing camera and battery performance detract from a generally positive picture.

Read on in the full article.

Old 03-07-2006, 06:06 AM

jukkaeklund is on a distinguished road
I'd say N70's real "successor" is N73. Same form factor and N7x number. And check the price tag in N80, it's in totally different category.

Old 03-07-2006, 06:35 AM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
I agree the N73 perhaps has more similarities to the N70, but the N70-N80 is still a valid comparison. Both time-wise, in that the N80 is out now and the N73 is still months away, and in that when launched the N70 wasn't at that different a price to the N80 now.

The N70's come down a lot in the last year, it's widely available now SIM-free around £250 inc VAT, which is fabulous value, IMHO.

Steve

Old 03-07-2006, 08:30 AM
Founder / Chief

Rafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of light
Its always a bit dangerous to say something is the sucessor to such and such a device. Yes the N73 is the direct sucessor to the N70 in Nokia's thinking, but there'll be plenty of the N70 owners who have or are thinking about the N80 as an N70 replacement. This, is of course, partly the result of the N80 not really having a predecessor. It is a top of the line smartphone, and the N70 was a top of the line smartphone.

N70 attracted more than just top of the line smartphone lovers (it was in some ways the first everyman smartphone), and I'm sure the N73 will do the same. I don't think the same could be said of the N80.

On paper the N73 is only better than the N80 in one department - the camera - its doesn't have WiFi, it has a lower resolution screen etc...

Old 03-07-2006, 01:14 PM

chrsfrwll is on a distinguished road
Never having had a N70, I bought the N80 mainly for the camera and WiFi (and screen res and....) and was interested to read that you feel the camera on the N70 performs better. Is this something that can be rectified on the N80 by way of firmware upgrade or will it blight the phone for ever?

Old 03-07-2006, 01:52 PM

nj7 is on a distinguished road
For me is N70 right now. Why? Better battery, good camera, form factor (better them a slide) and, for a smartphone is essential, a lot of software available. Next, maybe, not N73, because is not so superior, but N93. Is big, heavy, but replace my DSC and Camcorder (in promise) - pass from 3 pieces to one, with only one kind of battery, memory and charger. In holydays is gonne be great!

Old 03-07-2006, 01:53 PM
Administrator

No, it's not a firmware thing. As explained in the review, it's to do with different hardware image processing, the moveable lens and the smaller CCD pixel size.

I'm going to do a big AAS feature on photo quality next week, provided Nokia (or a reader) can lend me an N90....

Steve

Old 03-07-2006, 02:20 PM

zainman is on a distinguished road
Question

having read alot of reviews about the N80 and talking to users firsthand... i still think i would buy it. period. i think its the best out there and perhaps there will be another software that would be fully able to utilizie the 3 mp camera on the N80. i love the form factor, the fact it has double the screen resolution and has WiFi and upnp. if the N91 had upnp, i would buy it but nokia missed out on that.

Believe the Hype! Techpakistan

Old 03-07-2006, 03:12 PM
Administrator

No, for the last time(!), the camera's issues are to do with its hardware. Having said that, it's not a bad camera, I'd rate its detail at better than the average 1.3 megapixel device.

Also, re: screen resolution, yes, but the screen size is identical - if only Nokia had put in (e.g.) a 2.4" screen, as on the N71.

Steve

Old 05-07-2006, 05:20 PM

marcb is on a distinguished road
"and the N73 is still months away"

Steve,

I thought the N73 was supposed to arrive in July... has it been delayed?

-Marc

Old 05-07-2006, 06:19 PM
Administrator

No idea, actually, but my gut feeling says it's more likely to be August or later....

Steve

Old 05-07-2006, 07:09 PM

I wouldn't be too surprised by a delay, but I would be a little disappointed. I am still using a 6600 (T-Mobile USA is a little slow in getting new S60 devices and currently doesn't offer any) and was considering buying an unlocked N70 until the N73 was announced. An upgraded camera, better resolution, sleeker design and quad-band seemed worth the wait, but I would prefer upgrading sooner rather than later. One of the recent articles on AAS also suggests that games aren't made compatible for the 3rd edition devices as fast as I had hoped. (I guess waiting for the device helps here though.)

-Marc

Old 06-07-2006, 08:50 AM

akboom is on a distinguished road
I've tried a proto N73 and I have to say it is probably the best S60 device so far. An amazing camera (not tried in artificial low light) which works great in macro mode too, very light, great buttons, superb screen, excellent speakers and sound; what else is there to say. I'm getting one for myself and one for my dad as soon as it's out. This device beats the N80 hands down.

Boom

Old 06-07-2006, 03:14 PM

Thanks Boom. I'll wait a little longer I think.

Marc

Old 07-07-2006, 04:59 AM
Administrator

Just to say that I've done more testing now - see http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/featu...ne_cameras.php

Interesting stuff, hopefully!

Steve