All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 28-12-2009, 11:05 PM

Mr Mark is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Hear, hear. I've run into that problem with the Nokia 5800
Kind of disagree here since I'm currently using v31 firmware on my 5800.

Frankly I don't know what to get next. The N900 is intriguing but it's clearly a work in progress, the iPhone 3GS will be replaced in June or July, I don't text or e-mail enough to get a Bold 9700 or an E72, the X6 just seems like an upgraded 5800 and the N97 Mini doesn't offer me much more than the 5800 does although it is nicer.

I think I'll stick with my 5800 for now unless I can get a cheap unlocked N97 mini on eBay.
Ads

Old 29-12-2009, 01:22 AM
Icky

What? No Blackberry?

How come no Blackberry was included?

As far as Email is concerned, Im pretty sure the RIM portfolio can outdo just about any phone in that category.

Old 29-12-2009, 01:28 AM

johnk is on a distinguished road
I realise this site is primarily for Smartphone junkies who will tend to have the latest, greatest phone. But surely value for money must come into the equation somewhere?

I suppose I would fall in the communications junkie category, but I'm not rich, and after months of deliberation, recently bought the Nokia E63 -- a great, value-for-money phone. A better keyboard than the E71, arguably a nicer feel in the hand than the E71 (nice warm plastic, slightly thicker finish is an advantage). Only feature loss is built-in GPS -- not a comms junkie requirement. Very stable, does what it claims to do. Great battery life. Load ProfiMail and you have, IMHO, the best value comms junkie phone.

Old 29-12-2009, 06:10 AM
Unregistered

^ @johnk it is almost always the case in tech sites, and AAS is no exception. Specifications are compared in paper and if you don't have the highest mhz, number of features, and eye candy, your phone is junk. You will see a lot of " no xenon = fail, no 3G = fail, no 10000mpx camera = fail "

But in fairness, we all use our phones differently because we have different needs and different budgets. That is the one thing that some iphone owners don't get. Why Samsung, LG, and Nokia have multiple phones in the market including non-expensive ones. Ironically, most iphone owners I know, have a second phone that they actually use for work and calling. Being an iphone user, nothing beats it for media playing now even the old 2G version. (my opinion). Just not sharing (bluetooth).

I understand that the above choices are the choices of the writers of this site and I cannot argue with what they prefer. It is their own personal recommendations after all. It's kind of funny that they get criticized for their own personal choices in their own site. ;p

Old 29-12-2009, 08:53 AM

Cjp is on a distinguished road
I have to agree with post 23,nokia implementation of wpa security is appalling.its no different now and iv got the e63 and 71 having sent my e90 back many moons ago.the last nokia I had and still have that did wpa is the n80.I thought going down the e series route would be better but is not.funnily enough the grid keeps telling me I should sack nokia and get a touch pro2 or the hd2.nokia seems to have had its day when someone like steve suggests its time for me to use something else!!!

Old 29-12-2009, 11:29 AM
Unregistered

Touch Pro 2 has the best keyboard on every device I've tried. So that's definately the winner for those that text/mail a lot.

Old 29-12-2009, 01:01 PM

dougalzene is on a distinguished road
I still have a black N82 and cannot decide "what next?", a question I periodically ask myself. I've played with an iPhone 3GS and a 5800 and they both have some nice qualities, particularly the iPhone and I do like the screen size/format on the 5800. It's only the media playback, internet browsing and maps/navigation that draws me to a larger screen. I don't do games, and I don't commute etc. so internet on the go is not a big deal. I prefer a phone as a phone, in terms of form/feel and appearance, and the N82 still feels like a phone, albeit a bit of a magical phone [Actually the 5800 is not so different to the N82 in form]. The larger, touch screen devices don't feel right to me as a phone and I see myself holding onto the N82 or true successor for its phone and camera abilities (as well as internet radio, skype, joikuspot). I say successor however I don't see any great cameras coming out on small devices. That leaves, well I'd wish that Apple would release a version of the iPod touch with built-in GPS! I think that would suit me down to the ground - I particularly love the complete synchronisation. I'm quite happy with MfE on my N82 sync'ing my contacts and calendar with my Google Account but I use iTunes for my Music and that's just so simple to keep music, podcasts, photos and videos, etc. in sync (and rated).

I guess that doesn't help the debate but for me I think that after years of wishing every technology into one converged device, I now look at a split!

Old 29-12-2009, 04:06 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by slitchfield View Post
The N900 is lucky to be listed in ANY of the categories, given that it's an unfinished product. Have just sent mine to Tim Salmon for a second opinion. Listen to next week's PSC to hear what he thinks of it 8-)

PS. And yes, before anyone says it out loud, many of Nokia's other phones have arrived 'unfinished' in 2009...
Unfinished product? The N900 still walks all over any Symbian phone currently on the market.

But I don't mean to turn this thread into a flaming war on Maemo vs Symbian.

I just wish you would stop spreading misinformation that's all. Thank you.

Old 29-12-2009, 04:20 PM
Unregistered

About to give up on smart phones

I use my phone in the "work addict" category, even though I am a gadgeteer at heart. My current phone is an E90, the previous one was a 9500i, and before that I used the Ericsson MC218 and the Psion 3c (I still have the latter two and gaze at lovingly at them every now and then ;-)

There are currently 913 contacts in my device, though I could probably lose about 100. Similarly, I have diary entries going back years, as I use my E90 to refer to critical meeting notes on multi-year projects.

In short, it's a critical business tool.

That's about to change, owing to the upgrade mess and Nokia's incomplete synchronisation with Outlook. Maybe it's better on newer models, but the kind of phone I have is really expensive, and I'm not going to keep on changing phones in order to get bug fixes and new functionality. The time cost of an upgrade is also an issue.

The way it looks to me now, I should get a netbook and a basic phone with 3G/GPRS/EDGE, plus a separate GPS from a company which doesn't want me to upgrade the device to get new maps.

I've been holding off looking at an iPhone; maybe that will sort me out, but the cost seems to be greater than the benefit (plus it's just too pretty to be taken seriously ;-) On the other hand, maybe a Blackberry will do te trick.

I look forward to constructive comments, as this is the culmination of many hours of trying to get to a working solution.

~8-)
b3ta

Old 29-12-2009, 06:54 PM

Ammar_Dento is on a distinguished road
I use my E90 for heavy business usage,heavy internet surfing with Opera mini,email (the built in one) and i bought many 3rd party software utilities. I cant be more happier in the hardware side and i say that after 16 month of really heavy use and i dont see my phone outdated.

But the problem comes from the software side and this kills everything.
I hope the Symbian^4 can help. I can wait and own a great micro computer in 2011. But what can give me the guarante to wait another 16 month for something i know nothing about!

I guess E90 is still the best heavy business man device and the N95 (and its clones) are the best for multimedia while the N97 is the best for internet addicts....iPhone? For stylish,gaming,show off,apple fans.

Old 29-12-2009, 07:52 PM

sapporobaby is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ammar_Dento View Post
iPhone? For stylish,gaming,show off,apple fans.
It's comments such as these that show how juvenile many Symbian enthusiasts can be. Just because someone has an iPhone does not make them a show off. Right now I work with several high ranking individuals and the last thing that they are, are show offs. They bought iPhones because, in their words, "the damn things just work". These are Finns that have turned their backs on Nokia. Right now, I have to say the N86 is probably the best error free phone Nokia has. The recent releases have been engineering, and design disasters.

Old 29-12-2009, 08:02 PM
Jouten

Thumbs up HTC Hero = Tech Junkie, Nokia 5730 Comm Junkie

I think the HTC Hero is a magnificent phone and my only regret is that I didn't purchase it at launch (The Euro w/ Chin version).

As for the Nokia 5730, I believe it deserves some honorable mention in there somewhere. I used mine for media consumption AND texting/facebook/twitter too.

I have to admit, once you DYI the speaker hole, it's an awesome sounding phone! ;0)

Thanks Steve! You Da Man! Oh yeah! And YOU too Tim! =D

Old 29-12-2009, 08:17 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Mark View Post
Kind of disagree here since I'm currently using v31 firmware on my 5800.

Frankly I don't know what to get next. The N900 is intriguing but it's clearly a work in progress, the iPhone 3GS will be replaced in June or July, I don't text or e-mail enough to get a Bold 9700 or an E72, the X6 just seems like an upgraded 5800 and the N97 Mini doesn't offer me much more than the 5800 does although it is nicer.

I think I'll stick with my 5800 for now unless I can get a cheap unlocked N97 mini on eBay.
I'm in exactly the same place with the 5800. I'm sure there are many of us. I am watching the horizon carefully.

Old 29-12-2009, 08:23 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapporobaby View Post
It's comments such as these that show how juvenile many Symbian enthusiasts can be. Just because someone has an iPhone does not make them a show off. Right now I work with several high ranking individuals and the last thing that they are, are show offs. They bought iPhones because, in their words, "the damn things just work". These are Finns that have turned their backs on Nokia. Right now, I have to say the N86 is probably the best error free phone Nokia has. The recent releases have been engineering, and design disasters.
LOL! Looking at your posting history, you are very hypocritical suggesting anyone else is juvenile. You have a most appropriate silly posting name too.

Enjoy your high-ranking individuals.

Old 30-12-2009, 01:26 AM
Unregistered

Steve should sell his smartphone decision grid idea to phone operators.

This will help pay for the continuation of the wonderful smartphone or now the phone show.

Happy Holidays to All!