All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 28-12-2009, 01:05 PM
Unregistered

Why no Blackberry in Messaging?

Honestly, with RIM offering well-integrated clients for all the major social networks and still unparalleled Email Performance - should'nt there be at last one listed?

Granted, their current OS is far from beautiful, but BBs just... do the job well.

Old 28-12-2009, 01:21 PM
Super Moderator

Raven is on a distinguished road
Overall, the Milestone (Droid) is the best of the crop right now in my opinion. Although it isn't the best in every category, it excels as the best all-rounder. Putting it only under the 'Tech enthusiast' category is flawed. It's the most complete smartphone (not completely perfect of course) I've owned up till now. It certainly beats the iPhone (which I also own) in every category except 'Hardcore mobile gamer'.
"The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomaniacal, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully." -Emerson

Old 28-12-2009, 02:33 PM
Nuges

I agree with E90 is a great work addict companion. Would be less anxious of a new communicator if a new firmware update would bring it to par with the E75 or E72.

Old 28-12-2009, 03:49 PM
Unregistered

The N900 should be a winner in more categories IMHO. But then again, this is coming from Litchfield who continues to live in his Symbian fantasy world.

Old 28-12-2009, 04:19 PM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
Good point about Blackberrys. I keep forgetting about them - RIM have rubbish PR, I hardly know anyone who uses one, and the few I've borrowed were very primitive in terms of OS.

But the Bold should be in there somewhere, I suspect...

Old 28-12-2009, 04:21 PM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
The N900 should be a winner in more categories IMHO. But then again, this is coming from Litchfield who continues to live in his Symbian fantasy world.
The N900 is lucky to be listed in ANY of the categories, given that it's an unfinished product. Have just sent mine to Tim Salmon for a second opinion. Listen to next week's PSC to hear what he thinks of it 8-)

PS. And yes, before anyone says it out loud, many of Nokia's other phones have arrived 'unfinished' in 2009...

Old 28-12-2009, 05:39 PM

mrochester is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by joness9 View Post
Troll alert:

"Also iphone 3GS stands out to be a winner in all dept.. Thats amazing!"

Always amazes me how many Apple sycophants turn up on this site.
To be a troll someone would have to be deliberately provocative and argumentative, neither is the case here since the iPhone 3GS does indeed feature in the most catergories, which to me would signal it as the best 'all-rounder'.

Old 28-12-2009, 06:03 PM
Unregistered

Unhappy Nokia lacks updates!

had I bought an iPhone three years ago, it would now be updated with the latest and greatest features from Apple. Not just bug fixes, but new features would've been added.

I didn't.

I bought the extremely expensive E90 from Nokia instead, and I've been stuck with the exact same functionality, a handful of bugs that probably never gets fixed, while I can see new S60 phones with fancier functions. My E90 browser has not been updated the past year, and it's still not displaying the majority of web pages. WiFi with WPA-2 still makes the connection hang, BlueTooth still makes hickups or freezes the phone now and then etc. etc.

I wonder why Apple and Google are in luck, and why so many are switching from Nokia to producers that actually doesn't turn their backs on their customers...

Old 28-12-2009, 06:41 PM

rvirga is on a distinguished road
I second Raven's opinion.
Why isn't the Droid/Milestone, for example, in the multimedia consumer category? It has:
- a truly gorgeous 3.7" WVGA transflective screen
- one of the loudest speaker I've ever encountered
- better MP4 support than any Nokia phone (e.g. it plays the VGA version of the Phones Show)
- a xvid/divx player that even supports the elusive matroska video (mkv) video format (yxflash)
- several excellent podcasting apps (doggcatcher and beyondpod, to name two), which are capable of resuming an interrupted download without ending up with a corrupt file
- official Pandora, Last.fm, and Spotify clients
- for UK residents only, a iPlayer app (beebplayer)
What more could one ask for?

Last edited by rvirga; 28-12-2009 at 06:50 PM.

Old 28-12-2009, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Nokia lacks updates!
Hear, hear. I've run into that problem with the Nokia 5800, and then again with the Samsung i8910. In fairness, it's Symbian that lacks updates, not Nokia. It's the same story for non-Nokia Symbian phones. Apparently the explanation is that the OS, as released by the Symbian Foundation, is in a very raw state and requires heavy customization by the phone manufacturer (Nokia, Samsung or SE), who is then unwilling to do the same work all over again when a newer version of the OS is released. Incidentally, this is also the reason why there isn't a Symbian analogue to Android's Google Experience program.

Old 28-12-2009, 07:24 PM
Unregistered

The Droid/Milestone, N900, iPhone etc are all dead ducks for me, because for my needs they are all all just too large. For me, pocketability is fundamentally important, and if a phone does most jobs brilliantly, it's still no good if it's a pain in the ass to carry constantly. The beauty of Nokia is that they still make pocketable devices. That's the reason I carry one, no manufacturer makes a phone that small that is as well featured.

As for the 3GS camera, a lot of bollocks is being talked about its low light performance. In flash range it loses, but in low light for subjects that are *beyond the range of the flash* it's brilliant. My friends have them and at theatre lighting levels, shows and gigs and they can achieve reasonable pictures, but no Nokia or flash phone can compete. So where it matters (i.e. in situations other than a load of silly party face close-ups) it wins out.

Old 28-12-2009, 07:43 PM

moonshot is on a distinguished road
Seven categories. Of course they are all biased towards 'All about Symbian's' best loved handsets. Create a category that a particular phone will fit and then add that phone, aka N97.

What about the punter who wants a small light handset, say less than 90grams, that will hold all his music tracks; a phone that can compete with the small ipod but at the same time have all the features of a bigger Symbian s60 phone.

What category does a phone like that fit into?

I think the Nokia 5630 is Nokia's best handset. It is small, light and is full Symbian s60 phone and has more features than the 5800. Any company can build a brick and cram it with features; Nokia has the balance right with the 5630 music xpress.

I think 'All about Symbiam' is becoming 'All about smartphone.'

Old 28-12-2009, 07:43 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvirga View Post
Hear, hear. I've run into that problem with the Nokia 5800, and then again with the Samsung i8910. In fairness, it's Symbian that lacks updates, not Nokia. It's the same story for non-Nokia Symbian phones. Apparently the explanation is that the OS, as released by the Symbian Foundation, is in a very raw state and requires heavy customization by the phone manufacturer (Nokia, Samsung or SE), who is then unwilling to do the same work all over again when a newer version of the OS is released. Incidentally, this is also the reason why there isn't a Symbian analogue to Android's Google Experience program.
That's simply not true. Nokia 5800xm went through 7 updates from V10 to V31 in 10 months. That is truly brilliant support for a low cost entry level device.

As for Google Experience, where can I get one......vapourware still. Apparently there is a Nexus coming but no-one knows when exactly. You are correct, there is no Symbian analogy to something that still doesn't exist. I will be giving it a wide berth because the Google cloud lock-in thing just doesn't appeal.

Non Google Android phones get the same treatment as Symbian get, the HTCs get SenseUI, the Motorola gets Blur etc.

Old 28-12-2009, 08:42 PM

Quote:
That's simply not true. Nokia 5800xm went through 7 updates from V10 to V31 in 10 months. That is truly brilliant support for a low cost entry level device.
What a bunch of BS. I don't care about the number of updates, I care about what new features they bring. Nokia can take a firmware, increase the version number, and re-release it, and that would certainly counted by you as an "update", but what new would bring to the table? Nothing. Btw, taking some old firmware and re-release it with a new version number is basically what Nokia just did with v35 for the N95 and N82. What amazing features did these 7 updates bring? Kinetic scrolling? Nope. A better homescreen, something the 5800 is in dire need of? Nope. An update to the web browser, so that I can finally browse the ArsTechnica forums? Nope.

Quote:
As for Google Experience, where can I get one......vapourware still.
Do you even know what Google Experience means? The Droid is a GE phone. The HTC G1/Dream is a GE phone. Whenever you see "with Google" in the back, that's a Google Experience phone. The G1/Dream was originally released with Android 1.0, and then received official updates to 1.1, 1.5, and 1.6. And now, according to T-mobile officials, it will get 2.0. It's not just a handful of bugfixes, it's a lot of new features. With Symbian, not only you can't update to the next major OS release, you can't even upgrade to the next feature pack!

Last edited by rvirga; 28-12-2009 at 08:44 PM.

Old 28-12-2009, 10:47 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvirga View Post
What a bunch of BS. I don't care about the number of updates, I care about what new features they bring. Nokia can take a firmware, increase the version number, and re-release it, and that would certainly counted by you as an "update", but what new would bring to the table? Nothing. Btw, taking some old firmware and re-release it with a new version number is basically what Nokia just did with v35 for the N95 and N82. What amazing features did these 7 updates bring? Kinetic scrolling? Nope. A better homescreen, something the 5800 is in dire need of? Nope. An update to the web browser, so that I can finally browse the ArsTechnica forums? Nope.

Do you even know what Google Experience means? The Droid is a GE phone. The HTC G1/Dream is a GE phone. Whenever you see "with Google" in the back, that's a Google Experience phone. The G1/Dream was originally released with Android 1.0, and then received official updates to 1.1, 1.5, and 1.6. And now, according to T-mobile officials, it will get 2.0. It's not just a handful of bugfixes, it's a lot of new features. With Symbian, not only you can't update to the next major OS release, you can't even upgrade to the next feature pack!
Droid is GE? What a disappointment then. New OS releases are OK, but regardless of OS an original iPhone is still 2G only. I'd rather have a new phone than a ropey battered old one.

As for BS, you have a very large cattle ranch churning it out by the ton. The 5800 is a cheap entry level phone and you could buy 3 cheap phones as they are released and still have money left over from what you would pay for a iSlab, a Droid or a G1. It is simply BS to compare an entry level phone to ones 3 times the price. I notice you feel the need to drag in other phones to the discussion, probably a sign that your argument is lame. As if a sign were needed.
Ads