All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 21-05-2008, 11:50 AM
Founder / Chief

Rafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of light
eReader beta for S60 3rd Edition

A beta version of eReader.com's eBook software is now available for S60 3rd Edition. eReader is a long standing eBook store which provides some of the current best sellers in eBook form, protected via its own form of DRM. They provides a version of their reader for multiple platforms. However a few years ago they seemed to lose interest in support Symbian OS handsets, but under the new ownership of Fictionwise this seems to be changing.

Read on in the full article.

Old 21-05-2008, 12:53 PM

icebox is on a distinguished road
My pocket will always be DRM FREE !

as is my pc, laptop and internet tablet

Old 21-05-2008, 12:56 PM

snoyt is on a distinguished road
free e-books

I can recommend also to look at the SF/Fantasy collection of the baen free library of Baen books, a well known SF publishing company. There are complete books as free samples, though be warned some might lure you into buying the other books in the series ;-)

Last edited by snoyt; 21-05-2008 at 12:59 PM.

Old 21-05-2008, 02:48 PM
Unregistered

Woohoo!!! I've been emailing them every couple of months for the last year and a half since I switched from Palm to a Nokia E61.

The software installs and runs on my E61, but unfortunately it shuts down often. I don't have any other apps running, except for Microsoft for Exchange (MfE).

I hope they fix it - I've been waiting for a while for this one!

Old 21-05-2008, 06:33 PM
Unregistered

That's really good news as that keeps my library with books from them readable on a current mobile device (which has S60 3rd as you might have guessed) instead of my aging PDA. And I don't have to take my PDA with me just for reading them, either.

It would have been cool if they would have mailed this info to everyone asking about it in the last few months. At least I didn't get that info till now though I asked for it only a few weeks ago.
Ads

Old 22-05-2008, 02:11 AM

wocius is on a distinguished road
It installed fine on my E51, but it can't find any e-books. Any word on where they should be installed? I tried the app on both the phone and the memory card and the books in \Others on both the phone and the card, but no luck.

Old 22-05-2008, 02:39 AM

wocius is on a distinguished road
I found it -- books should go in e:\data\others.

Old 24-08-2009, 07:55 PM
Unregistered

Thanks!

Thanks for finding that directory wocius!

Now I can download free *.pdb books from manybooks.net, copy them to e:\data\others (i had to create the directory myself), and then I'm able to view them in eReader.

Old 30-12-2009, 11:56 AM
Unregistered

Severe Problems

Hi all,

I don't know if everyone is experiencing these problems but this version of eReader seems to have some serious bugs! Running on a Nokia N97 with latest firmware.

1/ Unable to select a book from the library using the touch screen, have to open the keyboard and use eReader in landscape mode.

2/ Whenever eReader is exited, the phone will restart.

On top of these two major bugs, there are several minor issues that make eReader unusable.

1/ I like to turn the page by touching the screen but on eReader, I have to touch a part of the screen with no text or it will open the 'word lookup' feature.

2/ After reading in full screen in portrait mode, the only way to return to normal view is to either open the keyboard (but eReader does not handle the change in orientation well) or to use the word lookup feature mentioned above that I would like the option to disable.

I'm sure there are further issues but the issues above are certainly enough to prevent me continuing to use eReader. I love ZXReader, the only issue being the lack of supported formats. If ZXReader could support PDB or eReader work like ZXReader then I would be returning to ereader.com and fictionwise.com.