All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 07-03-2010, 04:20 PM

bang bang boom is on a distinguished road
linking to laptop charging?

just doin a bit of tethering using my misses tmobile sim.. after inserting the USB cable it came up with the usual pc suite choices.. then after iselected pc suite it came up with charging... then after 5 seconds went off with a message saying unable to charge... something about power saving..

whats that?

is this fone ment to charge when hooked up?

the first few times i hooked up to the laptop it never said anything about charging
its only the last few times and now it seems to say it all the time, if it is, how u ment to get it to keep charging?

all the nokia's i've has havnt had the charging feature
Ads

Old 07-03-2010, 04:56 PM

nbriscoeuk is on a distinguished road
In my experience, it depends upon the current charge of the battery.

If you still have 4+ bars, then it will charge and continue charging. If its down to 3 bars, it will say its charging but then stop charging again - just the behaviour you've seen.

It used to maintain continuous charge until V20 - in my experience.

So I normally charge it from the power supply if I need it charging, and do work with the USB after its charged.

Regards
Neil

Old 07-03-2010, 05:07 PM

Im only on v11 at the mo.. Goin to try and get to a pc nxt week to try and get it to v21...

Not bothered if it wont charge; just a nice feature to have whilst on the laptop

Old 07-03-2010, 09:26 PM

RogerPodacter is on a distinguished road
I have the same problem and you have to select mass storage for the phone to continue charging and not stop after a few seconds. That solved it for me. Also not the laptop i have does not have any pc suite software installed on it.

Old 07-03-2010, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerPodacter View Post
I have the same problem and you have to select mass storage for the phone to continue charging and not stop after a few seconds. That solved it for me. Also not the laptop i have does not have any pc suite software installed on it.
i will try mass storage tomorrow. Can the phone still be tethered in mass storage mode?

Old 09-03-2010, 08:45 AM

nottmbantam is on a distinguished road
Sorry to hijack the thread, but I also had a similar question when cahrging via the USB laptop port.

When you connect the phone, there are several options - PC Suite, Mass Storage, Image Transfer, Media Transfer.

I have Skype running all the time on my phone, which is installed onto the Mass Storage, so when I connect and power up via the laptop, this inactivtes all the applications on the memory / mass storage, so in effect, I cannot use Skype whilst charging via laptop .

Is there a simple way around this?

I've tried just running it in PC Suite mode, but this again means I cannot get to my apps installed on the E or F drives.

TIA.
RM-530
E72-1

Old 09-03-2010, 09:45 AM

I tried charging in mass storage mode yet it wudnt charge.. Was on 1 bar and had the running low beeping tone.

Will it only work on the lastest firmware update?

Old 09-03-2010, 10:31 AM

Idle Mind is on a distinguished road
I think as USB doesn't give out as much current as your wall charger it will only work reliably when the battery is already reasonably charged. It's more meant for keeping the phone going whilst tethering etc rather than doing a full battery charge from what I gather.

I thought PC Suite mode should give you access to all aspects of your phone while connected - I'll try later but I'm sure I've gone into mass memory applications whilst it's been connected in that mode.

Old 09-03-2010, 01:07 PM

I had a w810i that did a full charge from usb... I cant seem to get my N97 to charge regardless of what battery power level my fone is at