All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 04-03-2010, 07:31 PM

scales11 is on a distinguished road
n97 mini freeze when answering

Hi all. I just got an n97 mini, and I absolutely love the hardware. The build quality is great, solid, and seems very durable. The software definitely could be improved upon, but for the most part it is ok.

That being said, I am running into one glitch that is driving me nuts. When I receive a call and the phone is locked, I get the “slide to answer” and “slide to unlock” options. When I slide to answer, the call is picked up, and comes through fine, but the screen stays frozen at that “slide to unlock” and “slide to answer” state. When I am done with the call, I am left with the phone frozen at this screen and the only way I can fix it is to hold down the power button and force the device off. This doesnt happen on every call, but does happen often.

I have the NAM n97 mini rm-553 with the 10.2.020 firmware installed (10.2.020.242.01) I live in the USA and there is no other updates available yet.

I can return the phone, and hope for a model that does not have this problem, or I can wait and hope that this software bug is fixed. I know others have had the problem, but dont know whether the update will fix it. I am trying to weigh my options and looking for some advice.
Here is another forum where people mention the problem:
http://discussions.europe.nokia.com/...lls/m-p/637948

Anyone have any thoughts?
Thanks!

Last edited by scales11; 05-03-2010 at 05:36 AM.

Old 05-03-2010, 04:10 PM

update

is anyone else having or not having this problem? Would you mind posting your firmware versions?

I think I am going to exchange the phone for a new one and hope that it was just bad luck...

Old 05-03-2010, 05:51 PM

RogerPodacter is on a distinguished road
i have not had this problem with my mini. i also live in the USA and have the same version as you. honestly i would hard reset your phone and return it to factory state. if the problem still continues then you could return it. but i have a feeling that the problem will disappear after a hard reset.

Old 05-03-2010, 09:47 PM

Ok, well i formatted the 8 gig memory and then did a hard reset (octopus three fingers). But that was not enough and only 20 min later the problem occurred. I am glad to hear that not all phones have this problem, perhaps I will return mine for a new one.

RogerPodacter, do you have theme effects enabled?

EDIT: Just happened again, theme effects dont help the problem.

Any others have or had this problem? or had before firmware update to v11?

Last edited by scales11; 05-03-2010 at 10:40 PM.

Old 05-03-2010, 10:44 PM

Idle Mind is on a distinguished road
A lot of people experienced it on the N97 including myself but it seems fixed with firmware updates. Mine only happened a couple of times on v11 firmware but admittedly after those times I started using the unlock slider on the side then answered normally rather than using the swipe method.
I've gone back to the swipe method after getting firmware v20 and I haven't had a problem yet.
Ads

Old 06-03-2010, 12:08 AM

RogerPodacter is on a distinguished road
does the screen just go black, or does it freeze up with the swipe icons showing? if its going black, then it seems to just be a slight hesitation on mine, but after 2 or 3 seconds the screen comes on.

yes i have theme effects turned on, but i cant for the life of me figure out what the theme effects are doing, because it looks like they do nothing to me. on my 5800 when i turned theme effects on you could actually see the menu screen slide open, etc.

and i have not upgraded my mini to the new firmware. i left it at v10 or whatever. but no i've never seen any freeze up when answering a call. and believe me i put the phone thru its paces by answering lots of calls with the swipe to answer method. i rarely use swipe to unlock, i mostly use swipe to answer. and i often hold the phone up to my ear, and sometimes put it on loud speaker phone. both ways i've not seen any freezing.

Old 06-03-2010, 12:26 AM

guys, thanks for the responses.

Idle Mind, I know it has been a problem with the big n97, but I was trying to find others who have seen it on the mini.

RogerPodacter, so here is what I see and do when answering.
1. call comes in, screen pops up and prompts me to slide to answer or slide to unlock.
2. I slide to answer, and the call is picked up.
3. the animations (sliding yellow green bars) are gone, but the screen is frozen and says slide to unlock and slide to answer.
4. call is fine, and ends normally, but screen never changes. I can lock the screen with the side toggle, pressing the other front buttons makes noises but the screen never changes.
5. I give up and restart the phone.

I am hoping/thinking a new phone will fix the problem, I have a new one being sent to me now and will post when I get it.