All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Symbian OS News

Old 24-05-2010, 03:01 PM
Founder / Chief

Rafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of light
Nokia and Yahoo strategic partnership for web services

Nokia and Yahoo have announced a global strategic partnership which looks to enhance the companies respective services across both the PC and mobile devices. Nokia will become the global, exclusive provider of mapping and navigation services across Yahoo service (powered by Ovi) while Yahoo will become the global, exclusive provider of Nokia's Ovi Mail and Ovi Chat services. Nokia and Yahoo plan to work on ID federation, the first stage of which will be the ability to use Ovi ID to log-in to select Yahoo services.

Read on in the full article.

Old 24-05-2010, 04:02 PM

Jimmy1 is on a distinguished road
Maybe it's only anecdotal Rafe, but nobody I know, from work or friends/family, uses Yahoo.

Aside from Flickr, Yahoo is seen over here as a fading light in the search market. 'Google' has essentially become a verb, while in e-mail, Yahoo has a reputation for being a spam repository.

Plus, most people here don't know Ovi is Nokia. American users won't get the association or linkage. They're better off using the Nokia name, which has more awareness (see: 'The Nokia Theater' in Times Square, NYC).

Not sure, what Nokia could be getting by tying themselves to the Yahoo sinking ship; they were very nearly just almost bought up by Microsoft, who by the way, is powering their search engine. Yahoo is now a glorified portal like AOL, another fading light.

I just can't see how this deal makes any kind of strategic sense for the gang in Espoo, unless they're planning on heave-ho-ing their Ovi Mail service overboard. They don't need Yahoo's help in emerging market exposure, they already have that sewn up; Nokia needs U.S. market exposure help, and this isn't it.
Ads

Old 24-05-2010, 04:15 PM

Hardeep1singh is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Nokia needs U.S. market exposure help, and this isn't it.
Read the article. Yahoo is the second most visited website in America with 4.4 billion visits and an average of 28.4 visits per user per month.

Old 24-05-2010, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardeep1singh View Post
Read the article. Yahoo is the second most visited website in America with 4.4 billion visits and an average of 28.4 visits per user per month.
Yahoo is a zombie company, they'll be gone inside of a few years. Microsoft just took away their most valuable component---search. Nokia may as well have aligned themselves with Netscape or Lycos. Remember them?

Old 24-05-2010, 04:32 PM

Ammar_Dento is on a distinguished road
Same Bla Bla Bla from the reverse side of the world

100% of my friends are using Yahoo! messenger simply because its the best.
100% use Yahoo! mail because they use messenger.

only one friend use Ovi Chat and i recommend him to use it.
no one except me use Ovi mail.

I use Yahoo! messenger and mail because my friends use it.

We all use Ovi Maps on phone while travelling.

and correct me if am wrong but nowdays...Microsoft,Yahoo! & Nokia are real friends.

Now,u still think Google is everything everywhere. I use Google for Search only.

I dont live in US...so stop the same bla bla bla from the reverse side of the world commentators.

Old 24-05-2010, 04:39 PM

viipottaja is on a distinguished road
Yahoo! is (still?) also the leader in web ad placement in the US. I don't see it disappearing within a few years, although I must admit your dooms day scenario for Yahoo! seems slightly more plausible than the one you are often painting for Nokia..

"JP Morgan put the company’s US market share for display ads at 17%, well ahead of No. 2 Microsoft at 11% and AOL at 7%."

No, this is not the fix. This could be a part of the fix. For both.

Old 24-05-2010, 04:52 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy1 View Post
Maybe it's only anecdotal Rafe, but nobody I know, from work or friends/family, uses Yahoo.

Aside from Flickr, Yahoo is seen over here as a fading light in the search market. 'Google' has essentially become a verb, while in e-mail, Yahoo has a reputation for being a spam repository.

Plus, most people here don't know Ovi is Nokia. American users won't get the association or linkage. They're better off using the Nokia name, which has more awareness (see: 'The Nokia Theater' in Times Square, NYC).

Not sure, what Nokia could be getting by tying themselves to the Yahoo sinking ship; they were very nearly just almost bought up by Microsoft, who by the way, is powering their search engine. Yahoo is now a glorified portal like AOL, another fading light.

I just can't see how this deal makes any kind of strategic sense for the gang in Espoo, unless they're planning on heave-ho-ing their Ovi Mail service overboard. They don't need Yahoo's help in emerging market exposure, they already have that sewn up; Nokia needs U.S. market exposure help, and this isn't it.
I hate comments like these, as if there is only one vendor in a market, and everyone else is a loser. Gimme a break about nobody is using yahoo - half of my online chat contacts still use Yahoo, and yes, their Flickr site is a pretty big boon, as every photog hobbyist I know uses it. I only know 1 person using google chat. As the article states, their still #2 in the US for traffic. And you use the Nokia Theater as an example of more successful brand building?? I normally criticize Nokia's moves, but this is seems like the logically correct choice for the two of them for establishing presence. I can understand if you're skeptical about Yahoo for picking Nokia based on Nokia's poor software engineering track record, but to criticize the alliance without seeing any results seems like just a load of hot air from you.
-Gene

Old 24-05-2010, 05:14 PM
Unregistered

Two failed companies. Good luck, you'll need it.

Old 24-05-2010, 05:37 PM

jfanning is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy1 View Post
Yahoo is a zombie company, they'll be gone inside of a few years. Microsoft just took away their most valuable component---search. Nokia may as well have aligned themselves with Netscape or Lycos. Remember them?
You still obviously can't read . Yahoo is the second most visited domain in the US. You may not understand this, but the number of normal people visiting domains like http://omg.yahoo.com/ is unbelievable. They are tracking over 20 million uniques a month and growing.

Really sounds like dead to me.

Old 24-05-2010, 06:19 PM
ming387

The partnership of yahoo and nokia is a big step for both companies and the ultimate results should be beneficial to both. Actual result will take some time to be measurable and we should not rush into any conclusion.

Also, they are multi-billion dollar companies that have been around for decades - these 2 companies are not definitely not failures. The real failures have already closed down.

At the end of the day, it's really good news for consumers as new options and services will become available as a result of this partnership.

I can't see any reason for anybody to be upset unless you have a pile of cash invest on the competing companies.

Old 24-05-2010, 06:23 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Please explain what two companies have failed and why?

You can't explain?

Thought not.

You too Jimmy1, completely baseless armchair BS.

Old 24-05-2010, 06:36 PM

Hey, I still use Symbian on an i8910 HD and even an old Nokia E66 as a back-up phone.

I'm just saying that this is Yahoo trying to stay alive by hitching on to Nokia. I don't see what the benefits to Nokia are for this deal. Well, they do get to unload operations of Ovi Mail onto Yahoo, so there's that. I can see some point where Ovi Mail completely changes over to Yahoo Mail in the future.

My point is that it's being pushed as Nokia's entry into the U.S., but why are they doing it via Yahoo and by using Ovi? Nobody, aside from Nokia fan pages, knows what 'powered by Ovi' means over here.

If Nokia really wanted to make a splash in the States, they'd make a few big content deals, for U.S. based content. For example, how about a partnership with Amazon Music or Amazon TV show downloads? How about, say, a promo with MLB or the NFL?

Old 24-05-2010, 06:50 PM

Hardeep1singh is on a distinguished road
jimmy1, don't be such a hypocrite. People like you would bury yahoo for being #2 and praise Apple for gathering a minuscule 3% market share in 3 years.

Old 24-05-2010, 07:07 PM
Unregistered

Folks, fact of the matter is it's in some people's blood to criticise Nokia literally no matter what. It doesn't matter what Nokia do, these people WILL find a way to see something negative regardless, and not only that but to blow up their distorted thinking so it's all they can see of Nokia, and then they will conclude that Nokia is dead. This is why you have people thinking that Symbian^3 and the N8 are a failure, even though they haven't been released to market yet, and why they think that iPhone and Android are something special, even though they are technically lacking and immature products running on (often very) inferior hardware (and please don't quote comparative processor speeds at me as an argument - it just makes you look ignorant). It's also why people think the N97(/mini) and Symbian^1 (/S60 5th) are in some way a failure even though Nokia have GROWN market share and sales (massively in the case of sales) with only these offerings.

Like I've always said - there's hype and nonsense (spouted by naysayers) and then there's reality. I prefer to live in the real world

This is a good deal. Shock horror I actually trust that the folks running these two multi-billion dollar companies actually (hard to believe I know) have a clue what they're doing and are experts, and know how to make great products and grow their businesses.

Old 24-05-2010, 07:31 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Awww...you sounded soo smart..Go pat yourself on the back now.