All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 01-09-2003, 08:03 PM

You know, I was thinking. The java app sends the data to your web server to perform its task. Wouldn't it be possible for you guys to write a web page that allows users to sign in and send these messages from the website?

Obviously the java app is cool for when you're on the move, but mostly we're just sitting at home or at work when we want to do these spoofed messages. Wouldn't it be easier to do it from a website rather than a phone?

-Mark

Old 01-09-2003, 08:19 PM

drazvan is on a distinguished road
Do you have a default GPRS access point set in Tools->Settings->Connection->GPRS?

Razvan

Old 01-09-2003, 08:29 PM

Yup, it's set to 'bluetooth' at the moment. I've tried setting it to others including one of my gprs access points provided by tiscali (uk isp).

I had a look around an java.io.ioexception status 20015 is undocumented but a lot of application writers are having problems with this error. I found some threads on a nokia forum, might be of some use to you, I'm no java programmer so I don't know - just thought it might give you some insight into this strange error that is undocumented.

http://discussion.forum.nokia.com/forum/showthread.php?s=293c782d7016d2fa23e25331d7b721d6& amp;threadid=18343&highlight=%2A20015%2A

http://discussion.forum.nokia.com/forum/showthread.php?s=293c782d7016d2fa23e25331d7b721d6& amp;threadid=18808&highlight=%2A20015%2A

http://discussion.forum.nokia.com/forum/showthread.php?s=293c782d7016d2fa23e25331d7b721d6& amp;threadid=22261&highlight=%2A20015%2A

Old 01-09-2003, 08:47 PM

KROSS is on a distinguished road
'NONE' is the default setting when you first install the app, once its changed you cant put it back to 'NONE'. Try removing the app and the re-installing it again, the access point sould then be 'NONE', just leave it like that.

Old 01-09-2003, 08:55 PM

KROSS is on a distinguished road
Whoops, ive just double checked and the error that I was geting is not the same as the one your getting, but you may aswell try the above, its worth a try. ops:

Old 01-09-2003, 08:59 PM

hehe, no problem

I'm wondering now if its something to do with my account. I wonder if the simeda guys will let me have another test account. I can't think what else it would be, though from what I've read about status error -20015 it may be that its not getting a response from the server (which is more likely to be a problem with either my phone or gprs), although all other gprs applications work without a hitch.

Very strange. This seems like a very cool little program, just a shame its not working for me. I'll keep trying things .

-Mark

Old 01-09-2003, 09:01 PM

Sure you can have another trial, email me at support@simeda.com, ok?

Razvan

Old 01-09-2003, 09:32 PM

Thanks for your support Razvan.

I'd just like other readers of this thread to know my problems with this app seem to be extremely rare, there's a 99.9% chance it will work with your phone so don't be put off by reading my posts . Plus the simeda guys are real helpful, and you can trial it first.

-Mark
Ads

Old 10-09-2003, 09:17 PM

petran is on a distinguished road
Sorry to bother you with this again, but it's already been 10 days since the last update of this thread...
Is the Greek version still under consideration? The temporary solution I mentioned here has always been unsuccessful lately... the Greek characters now ALWAYS appear as non-displayable symbols. Maybe something has changed on the Server/Gateway side? You cannot do much with just latin characters in Greece while everybody can read & write SMS in Greek on their phone! :(

Old 10-09-2003, 09:22 PM

Ok, give me until Monday to integrate the Greek translation table. I'll try to do it on Friday or over the weekend. I was just extremely busy (a CTO doubling as a programmer doesn't have too much spare time )

Razvan

Old 11-09-2003, 01:55 PM

It's OK Razvan, I can understand that you are extremely busy! I just wanted to know if this is still included in your near future plans. Moreover, I was very worried to see that using pre-translated characters has stopped working as they were converted to a single non-displayable character before delivering the sms! I was afraid your SMS Gateway now filters "unknown" characters, in which case we would not be able to send non-latin characters!
I suppose you may have to check this when you include support for Greek characters, since it only happened occasionally from the beginning, but now happens all the time!

Old 12-09-2003, 12:08 AM

girosky is on a distinguished road
i tried using it here in the philippines but it doesn't work. i guess this is operator's problem. :-?

Old 19-09-2003, 08:01 PM

Hello everyone,

SMSXtender v1.5.2 is now available.

New features:

- support for language translation tables. The only language supported for now is Greek (thanks Petran!)

Note: You can send messages containing Greek characters to GSM operators in Greece ONLY! Do not activate the Greek translation table for destinations outside Greece, your messages will fail!

- menu option for checking the remaining credits (View credits)
- menu option for checking the cost of a particular destination (Analyze destination)
- the ability to choose between HTTP GET and HTTP POST when sending messages (some networks only allow one of them to get through).

Best regards,
Razvan

Old 19-09-2003, 10:54 PM

You are welcome Razvan! Glad I could help!
Greek works great, you can send normal SMS (160 characters long as opposed to 70 characters used in unicode SMS).

I've had so much fun with SMSXtender already! But I always try not to offend someone, so I choose people with a sense of humour. Let me tell you the latest prank which took place just this morning at the office:
A colleague has recently bought a second hand mobile phone. This morning he could not use it as a lock icon had appeared on the screen and it did not respond to key presses. Although he managed to unlock it a little later, my evil mind did not waste the idea this incident gave me! A little later I sent him a Greek SMS from the phone manufacturer (name of course, not number) saying something like: "Mr X..., the IMEI of the phone you are using has been reported lost. You are required to deliver the phone to the nearest police station as soon as possible". Seconds later he called me to his office as he wanted to ask me something! (I am well known in the office for having mobile telephones as a hobby). Before going there, I sent him another SMS with the local police station name as the sender, saying something like: "Phone deliveries to the police station are only allowed till 2 p.m. on working days". It was almost noon already. Then I went to him! He was very worried, showed me the messages and asked me for advice! He believed the phone he had bought was stolen! I played ignorant, asked him if he would deliver it. He was wondering if they could sue him for this. After discussing it for a few minutes (I could barely hold my laughter) I told him I would ask a police officer friend of mine and get back to him. I left and went to another colleague, whom I told the whole story! As we were laughing together and I was about to disclose the prank, the "victim" entered laughing too, as he had realized this was a joke! He had just called a friend of his working for an operator, who told him it could only be a joke! I think we upset the whole floor with our laughter! He had been ready to delete everything on his phone so as to deliver it to the police! Thank God he did not, I would now be in touble! :P

Maybe we should have a different thread for sharing pranks with SMSXtender? I have another really hilarious one, but it's way too long to type now, it went on for about 1,5 hours!

Old 19-09-2003, 11:05 PM

LOL ... nice Petran! Keep the coming guys, go ahead and start a thread about it if you want .

Razvan