All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 26-02-2011, 03:22 PM

ironass is on a distinguished road
N8 running v20 with PR2.0?

This appears to be a video of the N8 running v20 firmware with PR2.0.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9aNGJzUiU7g

Old 28-02-2011, 08:52 AM

cambo is on a distinguished road
already posted buddy.4 down from your thread.did you not see it?
http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/forum...ad.php?t=98185

Old 01-03-2011, 03:15 AM

ironass is on a distinguished road
Er... no.

But, by way of a consolation, here is a longer video showing more of the features:-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HtKSHIZekyI

Last edited by ironass; 01-03-2011 at 03:21 AM.

Old 02-03-2011, 11:59 AM

hurley4prez is on a distinguished road
Unhappy is there a definite date for PR2.0 ?

Hi Guys... please help me as Iam at the end of my tether here....

I have had Nokia phones for years, and have patiently waited every time for the new firmwares for each phone cos the initial launch FW wasn't up to scratch...

I recently had the use of a samsung omnia i8910 HD and I loved it, but again, no support from samsung, or Nokia on the OS front, so I went down the custom ROM route.... very successfully and I was very happy with it.....but I was waiting for the N8.....like lots of people.

I got it back in November 2010 and love the phone except for the browser.

I can't believe Nokia have the nerve to advertise this phone as a smartphone when the web browsing experience is so utterly shocking.

I am rapidly reaching the end of my patience, which, over the years has been stretched by Nokia's constant inability to provide solid, reliable and relevant firmware updates...ON TIME...
Instead, what you get is a phone which should be one of the best available but you need to wait for 6 months for it to still not quite be one of the best available

can anyone out there tell us when this blasted PR2.0 firmware update will be available...? I heard February, then March, now.... it's looking like MAY.

I am not joking when I say this is just simply ridiculous. They rope us in with the big camera and xenon flash, fancy advertising videos and posters, but something as simple as web browsing (using a 2-3 year old browser ) is almost unusable as it crashes, jitters, freezes during streaming, basic page rendering seems to take ages, on wireless or 3G, if you are lucky to be able to do it in the first place.

So please, please please.... can someone tell me when PR2.0 will be out with the all new and shiny browser....? if it is going to be May, then I am done and the phone will reluctantly be on eBay very shortly.

thanks in advance for your help.

Hurley4Prez.

Old 02-03-2011, 12:58 PM

JayTay is on a distinguished road
Unfortunately no one knows when it'll be released. I'd use Opera Mini in the meantime.

Old 02-03-2011, 01:43 PM

clonmult is on a distinguished road
Opera is as good as any other browser out there, and whilst the UI of the stock browser isn't that great, it does work - there is absolutely no way it can be described as "shocking". It offers features that iOS doesn't - flash video support on pages is pretty damn cool.

The N8 on release was a reliable, dependable and solid bit of kit. There's nothing fundamentally wrong with it at all.

I barely get any crashes, jitter or freezing, and it does tend to render pages fairly fast either over 3G or WiFi.

As for the dates of the PR2.0 release, Nokia have never given out any dates for its release, you're just reading and believing too many rumours from blog postings.

Old 02-03-2011, 03:19 PM

torrentblock is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by clonmult View Post
Opera is as good as any other browser out there, and whilst the UI of the stock browser isn't that great, it does work - there is absolutely no way it can be described as "shocking". It offers features that iOS doesn't - flash video support on pages is pretty damn cool.

The N8 on release was a reliable, dependable and solid bit of kit. There's nothing fundamentally wrong with it at all.

I barely get any crashes, jitter or freezing, and it does tend to render pages fairly fast either over 3G or WiFi.

As for the dates of the PR2.0 release, Nokia have never given out any dates for its release, you're just reading and believing too many rumours from blog postings.
Opera crashes all the time on my C7. It is way better than the native browser, but lets not beat around the bush, web browsing is abominable on symbian^3.

Opera is nowhere near as good as the browser on an HTC wildfire, which isn't HTC's flagship, it's not even their 2nd or 3rd in line to the throne!

If web browsing and being first in line for new games isn't your priority, then symbian^3 phones have lots to offer, but let's not bs ourselves or each other, symbian^3 is crap for web browsing (apart from BBC iPlayer where it rocks)

Old 02-03-2011, 03:27 PM

hi, thanks for your replies.

I do use opera mini, but it doesn't support Flash, so if for example I want to watch something streaming on BBC Sport website, basically I can't, even on WIFI, but my wife can on her HTC Desire ( oops isnt there something in the T&Cs that say we can't mention the demon OS )

on the replies, I still think a device such as this using such an old browser, with the random issues users are reporting is "shocking" as it should hve had the new browser from the outset.

Trust me, I love Nokia phones, but should we really be treated this way wrt. FW updates ? these top end devices don't come cheap, and you expect them to do what they say on the adverts. Even though I know that some people may not experience the same issues as me, am I asking too much for my web browser to work properly.

thanks.

Old 03-03-2011, 09:32 AM

clonmult is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by torrentblock View Post
Opera is nowhere near as good as the browser on an HTC wildfire, which isn't HTC's flagship, it's not even their 2nd or 3rd in line to the throne!
I can't agree with that; I've used Opera side by side against both Android and iOS, and found it to be pretty equal.

Doesn't matter which Android device you use though, as they're all pretty much running the same browser regardless. So anything running 2.1 will have the same browser. Doesn't matter if its high or low end at all, they're all fairly equal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hurley4prez
but should we really be treated this way wrt. FW updates ? these top end devices don't come cheap, and you expect them to do what they say on the adverts. Even though I know that some people may not experience the same issues as me, am I asking too much for my web browser to work properly.
Nokia, at least with S^3 have been considerably better with their updates than Google have been with Android.

When Nokia release an update, it goes out almost directly (albeit with some oeprators stupidly blocking the updates, very similar to what has happened with WP7).

When Google release an update, the route of getting it through to the various devices is quite tortuous, and seems to take an eternity. And to cap that off, it seems as if some manufacturers restrict updates to try and force users to upgrade their hardware.

Old 03-03-2011, 11:09 AM

interesting to hear about android updates, but aren't the initial full versions pretty stable, ie, with no major issues ? don't want to ask too much about android in this forum... but would be good to hear others' experiences... I am afraid to go down that route due to the security implications around android... I have yet to find out if it is possible to totally secure your phone/browser when doing anything over https....

I soooooooooooo don't want to sell my N8.....

Old 03-03-2011, 01:34 PM

Pawlee is on a distinguished road
at least wait till pr 2.0 and the browser update before you think about selling it… you might end up regretting it if they fix the browser

Old 11-04-2011, 02:57 PM

HoneyMonster is on a distinguished road
This week.

Old 13-04-2011, 01:24 AM

kev187 is on a distinguished road
I have played with the T-mobile Astound here in the USA.

It has most of what everyone has been seeing in the various youtube videos.

The cleaner smoother UI, the qwerty keyboard in portrait mode. All works well

The Browser on the T-mobile Astound (nokia C7) is better than my E7, its a little smoother, little faster, has the new way to open the windows, but its still a clunky mess compared to Opera, and just about every other smartphone/feature phone on the market..

So use opera & really do not hold your breath on the new browser, but the UI is nice.