All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Series 60

Old 25-01-2010, 12:29 PM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
AAS Insight 102 - Sony Ericsson Vivaz and Ovi Maps

In All About Symbian Insight 102 (AAS Podcast 166), the team start with news of Sony Ericsson's Vivaz and its continuous focus HD video capture capabilities. We move on to an in-depth discussion of Nokia's Ovi Maps announcement last week. The final item in this weeks podcast is a quick mention for the new beta version of Ovi Suite. You can listen to AAS Insight 102 here or, if you wish to subscribe, here's the RSS feed.

Read on in the full article.

Old 25-01-2010, 01:51 PM

spleep is on a distinguished road
I was very pleased to find this latest podcast uploaded this eve as i sat down having completed dinner dishes duties. My wife quite bemused that this Symbian focused disscusion is so relished by myself. Good work lads,
from Melb, Australia

Old 25-01-2010, 03:54 PM
Founder / Chief

Rafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of light
Good to know we're being listened to down under!

Old 25-01-2010, 04:30 PM

GJW is on a distinguished road
Tried it a few times, the Insight suddenly breaks off.

Old 25-01-2010, 05:28 PM
Unregistered

4square and APIs

At around 33-34 minutes, Ewan mentions ovi maps APIs. I'm not sure about the integration with Maps 3.3, but Forum Nokia recently published the Maps APIs for the web side, you can find out more at http://www.forum.nokia.com/Ovi/

I'm sure I remember one of the presenters at the announcement referring to this also being the worlds largest maps API community, and indeed the lonely planet and michelin guides are plugins to the application - so I would not be surprised to see APIs cropping up at all.

Old 25-01-2010, 05:31 PM
Unregistered

oops, missed one

In fact, at the same place is the Ovi Navigation Player API here http://www.forum.nokia.com/Ovi/Ovi_N...ayer_API.xhtml where it says..

Navigation is now a standard and free feature of all Nokia Symbian smartphones. With Ovi Maps Navigation Player API you will have access to the industry-leading Ovi Maps Walk and Drive navigation service, powered by NAVTEQ. With just a few lines of JavaScript, you will be able to add turn-by-turn pedestrian or car navigation to your Ovi apps. Developers participating in the Ovi for developers Beta Programme can access a preview of the API and will soon be able to test the API on the device. The programme is currently closed, but we can keep you informed about the public availability of Ovi SDK/APIs

So indeed it sounds like there will be access to this API very soon. Cool!

Old 25-01-2010, 05:37 PM
Founder / Chief

Rafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of light
Indeed there's been activity around this for almost a year now. The Ovi Developer SDK is very promising. I actually this this has been under rated by most observers.

e.g. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UN9UhddGZa0
and
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y38U7prqKEs